My First Rabbit - Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bekahbun

Reaction score
Hey there everyone! :biggrin:

So, I am consideringbuying my first rabbitwithin the next few months. I have a fewquestions, and I thought that my best bet would be joining a rabbit forum (where all the rabbit experts are, of course!;)). I would like to buy a small breed. I have heard that Holland Lops make great pets. Are there anyother breeds you would recommend? I have heard that some smaller breeds tend to be more hyper and aggressive (such as Netherland Dwarfs and Dwarf Hotots). Do you agree with this, or is it only true for some?

Also, my rabbit will definitely be housed indoors. I know that they need time each day outside of their cage, but I also want to provide my rabbit with an adequate living space. Are there certain cages that you would recommend? What about C&C cages?

Okay, that's all the questions I have for now! Thanksin advance!! :)

Bekah

Welcome to the forum!
You'll find loads of good, helpful people here.
And congrats on getting a new bunny.
As far as breeds go, i'll recommend the mini rex.
They are soft, funny, sweet little rabbits. And did I mention soft?
NIC cages (similar to C&C) are always a good route to go.
You can take a look at the housing part of the forum for some inspiration.

< 3 Jessica

Thank you so much for your help, Jessica! I will definitely look into building an NIC cage for my bunny. Mini Rexes are very cute :) ---and a perfect size too!

Heya and welcome!!

I am so glad you have come here to research your pet before you bring it into your family- more people need to be like you!

Rabbits are suuuucch wonderful and often misunderstood pets and I am so glad you have decided to join the rabbit world.

I have two dwarf rabbits (one mini lop and one dwarf lop)and they are both treasures. I think they are the perfect size.

To be honest, breed doesn't particularly factor in with me. I suppose the only reason I may be against the larger breeds for myself is the 'statistics' that generally smaller breeds live for longer.
I would go to a local rescue myself- they are going to be dozens of lovely, gorgeous buns there who need a loving home :)

Jen

Welcome to the RO Forum, the best there is!

We're glad to have you! Yeah, Nic are great for building your own cage.

Mini Rexes are kinda small and maybe just the size you want and are just precious and the fur is so heavenly soft.:D

That is a Holland Lop in my pic and part of an NIC panel in the background, so that could give you some aspect of size.;) (Panels are 14 inches wide).

Aw, thanks guys! :)Yeah, haha. I do tend to do a LOT of research before I consider buying a new pet.Just want tomake sure I'm giving my bunnythe best possible! I cannot wait to get the new family addition. :biggrin2:

If you do end up with a dwarf hotot for some reason, I have one who i rescued, but he's a mix so that might be it, but he's a chewer! cant even have a floor with grip, he gets choroplast and a blanket so he doesnt chew the flooring (i cant even think about how much flooring ive gone through since i got him a few months ago, lol; blankets, foam mats, these funny rubber mats that had road patterns for kids) so be prepared! get a flooring they cant chew, it gets expensive replacing after a while... that was my whole point with this story, lol

Hello and welcome to RO. We tend toward Dutches, Mini Rex and mini Lops as being some of the best in the friendliness department. They are the sweetest bunnies we have. The best by far is our Checkered Giant--she's a lap bunny, but, at 17 pounds it takes up a lot of lap. As to housing, there is plenty to look at here, so figure out your space and work accordingly. Good luck.

Violet23 wrote:
If you do end up with a dwarf hotot for some reason, I have one who i rescued, but he's a mix so that might be it, but he's a chewer! cant even have a floor with grip, he gets choroplast and a blanket so he doesnt chew the flooring (i cant even think about how much flooring ive gone through since i got him a few months ago, lol; blankets, foam mats, these funny rubber mats that had road patterns for kids) so be prepared! get a flooring they cant chew, it gets expensive replacing after a while... that was my whole point with this story, lol
Haha, thanks for the suggestion! :) I need to remember that. Do all bunnies tend to do this? What type of flooring is it best to have for them? (I mean, when they are roaming around the room?)

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Hello and welcome to RO. We tend toward Dutches, Mini Rex and mini Lops as being some of the best in the friendliness department. They are the sweetest bunnies we have. The best by far is our Checkered Giant--she's a lap bunny, but, at 17 pounds it takes up a lot of lap. As to housing, there is plenty to look at here, so figure out your space and work accordingly. Good luck.
Aw, that's really cute! I wish I could get a larger bunny, but I don't think I willhave enough space for one. Dutch rabbits seem like the perfect size, though.I will definitely have to consider getting one of them! :) Thank you for your help!

I use a simple X-pen for my rabbit, which he seems to prefer over cages. very easy for me to let him in and out, and he has plenty of room. I have a mini-satin. I can't find much about them, but I love him! so much personality and his fur is the most brilliant color.

If you adopt from a shelter most likely you'll fall in love some little guy regardless of breed. So Welcome and happy hunting!

bekahbun wrote:
Do all bunnies tend to do this?
The first thing to remember is that all bunnies don't... anything.

Rabbits probably differ more, from rabbit to rabbit, than any other animal I know. This also applies to generalizing by breed - yes, rabbits within a breed share physical characteristics, but their personalities and mental characteristics can't be quite so easily defined.

You'll hear all sorts of "rules", but take them with a grain of salt. Lops are laid back - except the late Melody Frankenbunny, the terror of Ohio's appliance repairmen. Rabbits hate to be held - except my Natasha Rabbitova, who is never happier than when she's snuggled in my arms. Rabbits are ground-loving animals - except for the late Scone MacBunny, who loved to climb to the highest place he could get. And so on...

One generalization which is true, though, is that all rabbits chew. It's a physical requirement. They have to chew, because their teeth grow constantly and must be worn down. You just need to learn to live with it - bunnyproof wherever they're going to be, blocking off wires and anything fragile, and so on. If the bunny chews on the floor (Scone never did and Natasha doesn't), then you'll need to provide non-chewable flooring when they're not where you can watch. Some bunnies chew on wallpaper (thankfully, Scone didn't, at least not until his last week, and Natasha doesn't), others chew on paper of any kind. Scone had to be blocked off from all bookcases, and was never happier than when he was shredding an old magazine; Natasha, not so much on paper, but in a month she's demolished a piece of 1x3 pine board I had in the cage which Scone ignored for seven years.

Your best bet is to provide as many alternative safe chew toys as you can - you can't predict what a rabbit will like. Many, if not most, rabbits love toilet paper rolls, especially if they're stuffed with hay. Cardboard boxes are a nearly universal favorite. Both Natasha and Scone liked magazine tip-in cards. Try different things out, and the rabbit will let you know what he/she likes.

I see! Thank you forgettingrid ofthat thought for me. :) It disappointed me a little when I heard thatcertain breeds "were not as good for newowners." So glad that is not true! I need to see if there will be any shelters nearby! Too many cute little animals out there who don't have anice home to live in. Makes me sad :( Wish I could adopt them all.

PetoftheDay wrote:
I want to add, don't be afraid of the "mutt" bunny! Find a shelter with bunnies, and see who you fall in love with!
Excellentadvice! Thank you!:DI won't be able to adopt for a few months, because wewill bemoving... but I will be sure topost once I do! :) I really appreciate everyone's help!

bekahbun wrote:
I have heard that Holland Lops make great pets. Are there anyother breeds you would recommend? I have heard that some smaller breeds tend to be more hyper and aggressive (such as Netherland Dwarfs and Dwarf Hotots). Do you agree with this, or is it only true for some?
Smaller breeds are not any more hyper or aggressive on the whole, in my experience. I have had a Netherland Dwarf, Polish, many Hollands, and many Jersey Woolies- all breeds under 4 lbs. Everything about rabbits is individual- some tend to be the more "run around and explore" type while others are more laid back and just love to sit and cuddle with you.

So it depends on what you're looking for...what are you looking for in a rabbit? That would help me direct you towards the breeds that may, on the whole, fit your lifestyle best.:)

my first and only bunny is butsy the minilop :) check the avatar!
with her, you need to have patience, because she has none :p , im glad she was my first bunn tho !, she's got quite the attitude, just like me :) lol, goodluck finding the perfect bunny for youu !!

Just adding, I also don't believe smaller breeds are more hyper or aggressive than big breeds.
My Mini Rex Pippin was so calm, cuddly and gentle.
Our new Flemish Giant is a spaz. I've never even seen so many binkies!

Also, Mike is 100% right. All rabbits are incredibly unique.
And at times incredibly strange. While there are things you should prepare for, (like chewing) go at bun ownership with an incredibly open mind, and heart.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
So it depends on what you're looking for...what are you looking for in a rabbit? That would help me direct you towards the breeds that may, on the whole, fit your lifestyle best.:)

Well, I am at home for most of the day... So pretty much just a sweet companion, and someone to cuddle with. :)

jessicalovesjesse wrote:
Also, Mike is 100% right. All rabbits are incredibly unique.
And at times incredibly strange. While there are things you should prepare for, (like chewing) go at bun ownership with an incredibly open mind, and heart.
And open arms! Thanks so much for the advice! :)

Latest posts

Back