My First Hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyAcresHomestead

Reaction score
Looked online and was shocked that a good quality [not that cheap cedar board with spray sand roof type] hutch would run me close to 700$ for a double!

Figured I could make one with some scrap lumber I had laying around.

Will definitely be making a second one now that I've worked all of the kinks out!

iv8x1d.jpg

The only thing I don't like (besides the price) is that most are too flimsy to be used outside if there are predatory animals in your area. Have built many coops and hutches, but we use very heavy guage wire and usually double walled them so if anything got thru the first layer they still had another one to go not to mention the shotgun wielding builder. The scariest animal I've ever seen up close was a wolverine and they really smell bad too.

The only thing I don't like (besides the price) is that most are too flimsy to be used outside if there are predatory animals in your area. Have built many coops and hutches, but we use very heavy guage wire and usually double walled them so if anything got thru the first layer they still had another one to go not to mention the shotgun wielding builder. The scariest animal I've ever seen up close was a wolverine and they really smell bad too.

Yes! I agree. I built a second one for a friend who doesn't have a 6' privacy fence and I used the cattle wire...big, ol', heavy duty stuff. When I built another one for me, I'll definitely use that wire for myself as well.

Thankfully the worst predators we have here are stray cats...which I have no problem eliminating if they were ever to become a problem for my farm animals. lol

I had my husband build our hutches after seeing the flimsy-looking ones online. They probably did end up costing $700 because we bought all new materials, but they have been really secure and held up to our stormy winter this year. We have them on our deck and so far I haven't seen any tracks in the snow up there from our local fox.

PC250018.jpg

That's a nice one, Bville! My husband doesn't know how to use power tools so I had to build mine all alone...lol.

I was able to get all of my lumber for less than $70 by sweet talking the lumber manager at Lowe's to sell me all of his offcuts and damaged lumber for a HUGE discount! Plus shingles, screws, latches etc...I probably have about $175 invested in cash, more than a month of time in my hutch.

But, the good news is that I made all of my mistakes while building this hutch [which is why it took a month] when I built up my friends hutch, we had it up and finished in less than 2 days...so I imagine when I make the next one for my own use, I'm sure I'll be able to put it together much quicker.

I like the metal roofing on yours too!

Thanks. The roof is actually plastic of some sort. It's similar to the metal ones, but I think it was cheaper. It has worked great for keeping out rain and snow so far.

OOOOOOooo! I wonder if I could cut the plastic with a plain circular saw?

OOOOOOooo! I wonder if I could cut the plastic with a plain circular saw?

I seem to remember my husband getting some advice from the Home Depot guy about how to cut it. I could ask him if you want. I think he put the saw blade backwards or something.

Here's my husbands response as to how he cut the PVC roof panels:

"I stacked them to get more thickness, although not necessary, then put the normal all purpose circular saw blade in backwards so that the teeth aren't digging into the material. I also clamped two 2" X 4" X 4-5' studs together in order to hold the roofing tiles together so that it/they would not bend and twist and prevent me from getting a nice straight cut."

Happy building!

Latest posts

Back