My dogs got a baby bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icrazyaboutu

Reaction score
We got the baby away from them in time, its still alive however I think it may be more than just shock that is making it act weird. My family and I have rescued many bunnies from our dogs and cat(most of them too late) but we do know how to identify if the bunny is still nursing or not. This one isnt.
After realizing that it was still alive, I felt around and it felt normal, I couldn't feel anything broken, his breathing was going back to normal, he was blinking his eyes. Seemed good. I know that they can go into shock after such an epidemic, so I got a towel and a shoebox(with holes in the lid) and set the bunny in there. Its been about six hours. I've checked on him numerous times and tried to release him twice.
By 'tried to release him' I mean that after watching him run in circles and fall over a bunch of times, I decided he wasn't ready to be free. I want to care for him but my parents are not the type to care for an injured bunny that wasn't ours before it was injuried. I really want to help him out and do whats best for him. I'm planning on giving him another day of rest in the box with occasional checks and attempts for release but I honestly don't see him recovering.
The first baby bunny we found had an injured back and we knew it wasn't going to live a good life so we called around to see who would give it 'the shot'. No vet within a 50 mile radius would touch a wild bunny with a 50ft pole. They won't do it.
So, any suggestions? Any possibility he will recover? I have a video of him hoping around that I can post if you guys think it will help.
Thanks in advance!

Anyone? I put in some horse hay pellets and some blades of grass. The bunny didnt seem interested and is staying nestled in his corner of the box. He lets my pet him and acts confortable with me. He has actually drifted off to sleep a few times while i was rubbing behind his ears. I don't know how to get him water. I have syringes used to medicate ferrets and one that we used to give milk to the first baby bunny but I don't know if he'd accept it or if it would be good for him...
Someone please give me some answers!

Water in a shallow, heavy bowl should do the trick until the rescue people take over. But it doesn't sound good, as you realize. If a vet won't give it a shot, a different type of shot might be humane at some point.

I soaked some more hay pellets for it and found a CA fish and game wildlife rehabber but my dad doesn't want me calling until tomorrow. Hopefully the number is still good and she knows how to help bunnies. Its dark and cold out so the bunny will be staying in his box in the garage and only come out while I'm holding him.
Its really sad to see him all twisted up, hopefully he recovers and can be a wild rabbit again. Hopefully.

JimD wrote:
Here's a site with some wildlife rescue people listed in your area....

http://www.yaps.org/resources/wildlife-rehabilitators

:pray:

YAPS is in my city, I didn't even think to check their website. Its odd that only one of the rehabbers is on the Fish and Game site and of course she is the one who specializes in birds. I'm going to try calling another lady from the Fish and Game site first, just because she's on there. Then, if that doesn't work out, I'll call Kandie from the YAPS page. Thanks so much for the link!

Well, I called three of them two hours ago and still haven't heard anything. A family friend has done some wildlife rehab so I asked her and she had me give the bunny some nutrical and water via a syringe without the needle. It pretty much just left the stuff on its face instead of eating. Hopefully it gets better about meals. I'll try again in a few hours. The lady is thinking that it might have been a stroke due to the running around in circles, which she says wiill take a while to help recover before release. But as long as there is a possibility for eventual release, I'll keep trying.

Back