My dog became a victim of the Dog Food Recall

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun~Bun

Reaction score
Recentally, I've noticed my dog's fur growingvery strangly. Light areas of fur and very long areas of fur(And he's ashort haired breed.). I thought, maby it's just a shedding pattern -but the fluff and colour going on that long whith out any shedding -that seemed a little strange. I've also noticed that he was vomiting upthe food fequently. All dogs will puke occassionaly - but his vomit hadno grass or any other objects in it - just the dog food. We've fed himPurina Lamb And Rice Dry Dog Food, ever since we got him(He's about 4years old.). The "rice protien" is probably the issue. I didn't read ifthere was any in it or not - but the rice it's self is still just asdangerous(?).
My dog is still lively and has no mobility problems - but don't push itto the limit. He's a very lucky doggie. My vet told us to take him offof it.
Finally, the rest of my family came to their senses, switchedthe dog food, and also know a farm who makes their pet food - we willrevert to that if we have the chance, yet it's almost a 2 hour drivefrom our home.

Please keep in mind, Purina Dry Dog Food should now be on the Recall List.

Actually, Purina is not on the recalllist. Although I'm not sure if they've had their rice proteinconcentrate verified by an outside source, I thought they didn't useany? Exactly which food were you feeding, and is that in theingrediant list? White rice, brown rice, and brewer's riceare not affected by the recall.

Bun~Bun wrote:
Finally, the rest of my family came to theirsenses, switched the dog food, and also know a farm who makes their petfood - we will revert to that if we have the chance, yet it's almost a2 hour drive from our home.
They often use rabbit meat. :(

Laura, I just checked the Purinawebsite. It says they do not use rice protein concentrate inany of their products. None of Purina's dry foods have beenaffected by the recalls, and the only wet foods to get recalled were afew cuts-and-gravy wet foods from the Alpo and Mighty Dog brands.

http://www.purina.com/

Bun~Bun, your dog might have developed an allergy to something in thefood, or possibly just needs a higher-quality food. Foodallergies often occur later in life for cats and dogs. Itwould be best to investigate this more, probably with a better vet thatwill actually look at the allergy problems and other dietproblems.

My dog had an episode where she broke out withpurple spots on her belly, turned out she was allergic to the purinadry food. I did not have to figure out which ingrediant she wasallergic to because luckily the first new food I tried, was fine. Iswitched her to Pro Plan Selects Turkey & Rice. This was allwell before the food recall came about, could be some dogs are justsensitive to the Purina dry food.

naturestee wrote:
Laura, I just checked the Purina website. It saysthey do not use rice protein concentrate in any of theirproducts. None of Purina's dry foods have been affected bythe recalls....

I can confirm that as well.

We called Purina directly to check.

Back