My darling Sage, RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil

Reaction score
Hi All,

My darling bunny Sage passed away yesterday in the vet's office. She was eating fine during the day on Monday, then she looked a little hunched Monday evening. Tuesday I syringed her water and blended lettuce/apple and massaged her stomach. She passed some poo, so I thought it was going to be ok (just a short bit of stasis) but then she passed some mucus. Come Wednesday, she had very bad diarrehea. I called the vet and took her in in the afternoon. And she passed on.

I'm SO unbelieveably sad. She was a house bunny, I fed her only oxbow products (correct hay and lots of it) romaine lettuce and the daily papaya chunk.

But I can't help blame myself that my darling girl is gone. I should have taken her in on Tuesday. Its my fault she died.

I'm so sorry. You did everything right, it wasn't your fault. You did what we all do, which is use your knowledge first. Kept a good eye on her, and took her in when it became more than you could handle on your own. Could have happened to any of us, so please don't be hard on yourself. (((HUGS)))

binkies - thanks for the kind words. She went so fast, and was so young, I'm having a very hard time with the grief. Sage looked just like the bunny on the far right of your avatar photo.

Basil,

You did everything as you thought you should of at the time - rabbits are so good at hiding their illnesses.

My dad said something to me that has stuck all of these years. "Hindsight is always 20/20." In other words - we can always look back and see what we "should" have done or "could" have done.

But we can only live our lives with what we know to do at the time - we don't have the benefit of forseeing the future (unless you're in a tv show or something).

I'm sure you did your best - the soonest you knew you needed to do it.

Basil was well-loved......and I'm sure that she knew it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Peg

One thing that is said, is that with every experience, there is knowledge gained. I want to remind the whole community that GI stasis is not to be taken lightly. Get your bunny to the vet if they show signs of it (not eating, not pooping, sullen) right away, don't wait. Its a serious condition. Vets can provide pain relievers, medicine that can get the intestine moving again, and antibiotics.

Sage would have wanted everyone to know this.

Im so sorry you lost your little one. Was she very young? GI problems are more serious in very young bunnies.

As everyone else said, dont blame yourself. You did everything you could for her.

Rest in peace little one.

She was adopted, so I am unsure of how old she was when we got her. We have had her a year.

I guess one of the emotions in pet loss is guilt - like the 'if i only..' I still feel like crap. I'm crying so much. Loss sucks.. so much.

Having lost your bunny is hard enough, please don't blame yourself for what has happened. As a matter of fact you were early in calling the vet, not late, you didn't loose any time at all. On Tuesday she was still passing poops, how could you possibly have known? You couldn't. When you saw a new symptom, i.e. diarrhea, you took her straight to the vet within the same day. Everything you did was correct. Sometimes bunnies' health deteriorates withing a few hours, the more serious is the health problem the better they hide it till it's too late, there are cases that nothing can be done

I send you my compassion - Basil and Pepper shall need some extra cuddles now, it's hard also for them...

Marietta

I'm so sorry :(

....binky free Sage
:pray::rainbow:

GI stasis is almost always the symptom of an underlying issue.

I recently went through something similar with our Chippy.
She was showing signs of stasis for a couple of days. And then one evening she passed a hairball followed by mucous. She seem to act a bit better, but in the morning I found her sitting in a huge puddle of diarrhea. I rushed her right to the vet where she stayed for the entire day and received sub-q. The sub-q were probably what saved her as she had become severely dehydrated.
The cause was Clostridium and needed to be treated with a very specific antibiotic

Binky free and healthy again, Sweet Sage...

And don't blame yourself, Sweetie...you did all you could for your girl, and did everything you could in your power for her. You had no idea things would go that route...

Hugs to you,

Rosie*

JimD - your situation is exactly what happened with Sage. I'll have to look up more about 'Clostridium' ... I really hope our other bunnies can't get this bacteria because she had it? I'm going to look up more information now.

So your chippy pulled through it ok?

I wonder how many bunnies pass on because of GI status?? I mean, Sage went from binking to the bridge in less than 40 hours.

UGH. i'm so sorry, basil. but, as others have said, this is SO far from your fault. you did all that you could for sage, and i think that makes you a wonderful mommy. you can't save everyone, so unfortunate.

"hindsight 20/20" is the truth, peg. i actually have a facebook group called "it seemed like a good idea at the time!" and the other half of that is HINDSIGHT 20/20...LAME. haha.

:rainbow::pink iris:binky free always sage.

Sprite went from binkies and loving her breakfast to deathly ill a few hours later... to dying late that same night. Maybe about 16 hours from onset to death? That included a trip to a rabbit-savvy vet who did everything he could for her.

I'm so sorry you lost Sage. I know how hard it is to accept it, but sometimes you just can't prevent death.

:hug:

Basil wrote:
I wonder how many bunnies pass on because of GI status?? I mean, Sage went from binking to the bridge in less than 40 hours.

One of the only things I find upsetting about being a rabbit lover is the fact that, despite their being tough little guys, they can still go so quickly, sometimes with little or no warning. And sometimes we just can't prevent it. It is just their time to go.

(((HUGS))) for you, Basil...I'm so sorry for your loss...:hug1

And binky free, Sage...there's a ton of bunnies up there, just waiting for you to play with them...

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. I think with all of your help, I've moved through the guilt, and now I'm just missing her.

One thing that I'm excited for her is that she'll have lots of friends in heaven - she had to live apart (but right next to) basil and pepper - and pepper (another girl) was so jealous of her ("Basil, how dare you look at another woman!!"), that she picked on her often. Pepper never did let her bond with them, no matter how many attempts I tried, and boy I tried them all - bathtub, on top of a table, endless spray bottles, etc. Enjoy your friends Sagey, you deserve them.

I struggle with depression everyday, and now that she has passed, it has gotten so much worse. I can't eat.. I want to just sleep and cry. I miss her so much. I don't have many people who understand what I'm going through.. I'm sure a lot of you have experienced the same - 'It was just a rabbit.. go in the yard and get another one!' was a comment I received today. I told him that his comments were making me feel worse and walked away.

I'm so anxious.. and keep going into panic attacks over losing her.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to move through this, or experiences you have of going through this?

Latest posts

Back