my buns are closet cases

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usawan

Reaction score
hey everyone, i had a moment of genius recently and thought i'd share it with everyone, in case someone else has the same problem i do: not enough space, and a closet with a lot of potential.

sounds really strange yeah ?

well to start things off, i live in japan, so i don't have the luxury of having a lot of floor space (even a 'small' apartment in the west is immense by comparison to apartments here). my place is, as many apartments are, one room. so having the buns share my living space makes it even harder to find places to put my life, AND their cages.

however, my apartment has gifted me with an untapped resource. my closet ! moving the buns into my closet not only gave my back a LOT of floor space, but when they are being loud, i can shut the doors and it helps immensely. especially when i'm hung over and need to sleep ;)

100610_15210001.jpg

this is the top shelf of the closet (there is the same amount of space below, where shushu currently lives). it measures 119cm wide x 85cm deep. that's a lot of unused space ! (okay, i actually had suitcases and clothes in here before, but that had to move. and yes, someone at one point wallpapered the inside of my closet with faux white brick...)

enter: fuan-chan

100305_14180001-1.jpg

now, she was living in a cage i borrowed from the friend in the photo, but one of her ferrets recently had an emergency and so i had to give back the cage immediately. (he is ok now, no worries !) however, this left me with the problem of having a homeless bun.

since fuan-chan's litter habits are rather decent, i decided that i would attempt to build a cage in the open space of my closet. i was debating purchasing a dog cage, but they don't make use of how deep my closet is, and i was really unsatisfied with the prices on anything that could come close. (upwards of 18,000-20,000yen; that's over 200$)

so, i marched myself in the summer heat down to the pet store to find a solution.

what i came away with: 9,000yen (roughly 100$) worth of cat cage panels in pink and white. (i wanted all pink, but they didn't have enough. they come in white, pink, and powder blue) the cat panels are similar to NIC panels, but they are made of metal and come in 60cm or 90cm lengths, and made specifically to stack into cat cages or dog cages. i bought 8 of them for my closet, having to overlap the side panels by about 20cm. the door is massive, i can fit my entire torso through (and could probably crawl through it if i was so inclined). but this makes getting in there and cleaning SO easy.

here is the layout:

100610_15270001.jpg
100610_15280001.jpg

not bad eh ! each side is made of two panels. poor fuan-chan is dwarfed by the massive door.

(the people at the pet store were also nice enough to bundle them together and give me handles so i could carry them home on the train. they were still so heavy though, but i got that arm workout i've been meaning to do haha)

100610_15220001.jpg

so now that i had the supplies, it was time to build. so i went to the 100yen store (japan's dollar store) by my house and had some fun. i picked up a plastic container for a toilet, some zipties, and some metal clips to hold the toilet in place.

100610_16540002.jpg
100610_16540001.jpg

it was getting dark by the time i finished, but here's the end result ! i daresay i'm pretty smug with myself at how well it worked. later that evening i went and bought a strip of carpet to lay down on half the cage, and i'm going to look into some linoleum tiles for the other half. i love it so much, she has a HUGE amount of space to play in for such a little bunny. i plan on making an identical one for shushu instead of her cage one day.

100611_08230001.jpg

now some freebies of fuan-chan in her new cage :biggrin2:

100613_11120001.jpg
100611_13500001.jpg
100611_13510001.jpg

100611_13550001.jpg

and in case you were curious, here is shushu's house.

100610_15210002.jpg

the wooden thing (it used to be a hidey-thing when she was a baby, i just bent it out of shape and shoved it between the cage bars and base) is to keep her from rattling the door and being obnoxious. (another stroke of genius i had)

and because she's a selfish princess, here's shushu, in all her faceless glory, disapproving of everything

100613_14240001.jpg

hope that someone found this interesting, and that it got some brains thinking about other random, unused spaces in the house that could be waiting to house somebunny :biggrin2:

-bas

Lol that looks so cool! And they seem to have a lot of space in the closet too! :D

Jen

thanks for the kind replies :biggrin2: the cage has been holding up well, but i might need a new carpet in there soon, she's digging it like mad. i need to find something more...bunny proof lol.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
(And your title made me LOL:p)

haha, glad someone caught it ;) it's an inside joke between a friend and i

Latest posts

Back