My bunnys nails - will they grow back?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshJ

Reaction score
Hi guys,

About a month ago, my rabbit had a run in with the dog, and although my dog would never hurt Rocky, i'm guessing he would have chased him around the garden. When I found Rocky he was stunned, practically and just lying under the cage. His feet were all bloody, and I then saw that a lot of his nails were lose. This was probs down to Rocky darting around the garden trying to get away from my dog, putting tremendous pressure of his nails. Anyway, I took him to the vets straight away and he cleaned his feet up. He said his nails would grow back but they haven't! His right foot has all his nails practically. But his left food has none, almost! Even his thumb nail has gone. I checked them this morning and they are like stumps, and they don't look like they are going to grow back anytime soon. Can it affect a rabbit not having an nails? I always let Rocky have around 2 hours in the garden, but we have no grass, so is this going to hurt his feet at all? :(

Also, some of his nails on his right foot are quite lose. You can bend them upwards and downwards, shouldn't their nails be quite firm?

I appreciate all the advice :)

x

We have had rabbits lose nails from random play, and sometimes they grow back and sometimes they don't. Presumably it depends on how much was ripped out.

I would suggest that you watch the nails carefully because they can cause infection when they grow back, but as far as I know they can do ok without nails.

Latest posts

Back