My bunny's hair pulling!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babygroot

Reaction score
Hello,
My 6 year old bunny Molly is pulling a bunch of hair from herself and is storing it in her mouth. I refilled one of her hay holders and she spat out the hair she had in her mouth and started eating the hay instead.

She not spayed and from what I've read, the reason could be that she is having a false pregnancy.

My biggest concern right now is that she'll digest a bunch of hair. I've read that you can give the bunnies some pineapple and pineapple juice because the acid can help break down the hair in the digestive system.

Should I do that? And how can I prevent any more damage that might occur from this?

If there isn't a buck around (there sure wasn't, right?), it's just a false pregnancy, nothing to worry about, will be over in a few days.

They don't swallow that fur, at least not much of it, less than when they clean themself or other bunnies during molting. Just see to it that she always has fresh, yummy hay, maybe change it more often to make it more attractive, and keep feeding her as usual. Check her water bowl and clean out any fur that got in there.

If there isn't a buck around (there sure wasn't, right?), it's just a false pregnancy, nothing to worry about, will be over in a few days.

They don't swallow that fur, at least not much of it, less than when they clean themself or other bunnies during molting. Just see to it that she always has fresh, yummy hay, maybe change it more often to make it more attractive, and keep feeding her as usual. Check her water bowl and clean out any fur that got in there.
Okay, that's good to hear! I'll make sure to keep an eye on her water bowl and give her nice fresh hay :)

Thank you for your response!

Latest posts

Back