My bunny smells

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny-Benard

Reaction score
I have a Netherland dwarf (quite big) and he lives in the back room. He has both an indoor and outdoor cage, but uses the indoor more often. He gets plenty of exercise as the garden is HUGE! But I'm now worried about his smell, I've been reading that rabbits shouldn't smell, and it could be a medical problem if they do. He was 1 a couple of weeks ago,I give him a bath every month using anti-flea and insect shampoo, he seems to enjoy his baths more now.
When the door to the back room is opened you can smell him straight away, it is so potent!

He has always smelt since we have had him, and I think it's his wee. However, he was a bit ill the other day and was not himself. Usually he jumps put of his cage ready to play, but he was still asleep and very lethargic when I went in to see him. Whilst he was like this he smelt like runny poo. I gave him a bath and plenty of cuddles and he is back to his normal self now.

Also I've found hundreds of ants in his cage, I clean the cage and use talcum powder along the edges of the room. But this has not stopped them. Any suggestions for how to help this problem?

We use hay in his cage and bedding and he has fresh hay added daily, he sleeps in a medium dog cage but has a bunny home outside (I can post pics if needed), also what can I buy to amuse him and keep him entertained whilst I'm not home.

Thanks!!

Rabbits shouldn't really need baths every month - I've never bathed my buns, they can keep themselves quite clean. The ant problem sounds like a bit of cause for concern, but unfortunately I can't offer much assistance there, I'm sorry. :(

Have you checked his anal glands? They should be two small slits next to his genitals. They can get clogged up with a waxy substance, which can smell a bit. Just get a q-tip, dip it in warm water, and wipe it along the wax to clear it.

Is there anything sweet in the room that is attracting the ants? I've heard baking powder works to repel ants.

As for the smell - do you think maybe he is spraying and marking his cage then rubbing against it and getting it on his fur so he will smell nice and attract the ladies? If so neutering might help.

Rabbits who are not neutered will smell, because hormones give their pee extra stink and they like to spray it everywhere to mark their territory. Bathing him will not help much, in addition to being very stressful on him. Neutering is much better in the long run.

Bug bomb the room! You probably have an ant nest somewhere inside it.

Yeah, I've cleaned his whole room yesterday and begun to build him extra space so he has more room to hop.
I would feel mean getting him neutered as he is like my baby. I will try the baking powder to see if that helps, going to need to pull out all the stops to get rid of these ants!!

Thanks for your help!!

Don't think of neutering as how a human male would feel if his nuts were cut off. Bunnies don't attach the same pride to their "manhoods". In actuality, keeping a bun intact can be more stressful for him. He'll have to deal with sexual frustration and the constant urge to mark and defend his territory. And being smelly all the time isn't fun for sensitive bun noses - it's just that his need to mark overpowers his own desire for comfort.

Neutering also greatly reduces the risk of reproductive cancers, which is common in older buns (rabbits, as prey animals, are not designed to live long). I don't want to tell you what you should do with your bunny, it's your decision and I respect that. Just trying to show you the "pros" side of the list. :)

Neutered bunnies have 0% odour and since he is 1 years old he's a great age for neutering. On the subject of ants, I recommend sticking fly tape around the cage so all ants stick.

Thanks very much for the advice! Will definitely look into getting him done, for his benefit! Will try the tape thing too, thanks!!
I will keep u posted and show a pic of my little boy shortly!

A healthy rabbit with no health problems, should never need to be bathed. Rabbits will naturally keep themselves very clean. You also shouldn't be using a flea shampoo on your rabbit. Many flea products that are safe for cats and dogs, may not be safe for use on rabbits. The two flea medications safe for use on rabbits are regular Advantage and Revolution(selamectin), with revolution being the safer and more effective of the two. (never use Frontline(fipronil), it is TOXIC)
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

If your rabbit has mushy poop or urine soaked fur on it's bottom, and this is why he smells, then these things are due to health problems. Urine soaked fur may be due to a UTI, mushy poop is often due to a problem with the diet, though parasites/bacteria can sometimes be a cause and need immediate veterinary attention. If your rabbit has a problem with either of these, you may need to make some diet changes or possibly take your rabbit to a vet.

If it's the area around him that is smelly and not actually the rabbit himself, it is likely due to being an intact male, which neutering will usually take care of, or you may not be cleaning out his litter often enough. Some rabbit safe litters also will work better at odor control than others. But if the rabbit himself is smelly and it's not from urine soaked fur or mushy poop, then check the scent glands. Those can have quite a potent smell.
http://brighteyessanctuary.org/educ/rabbit-info-scent-glands.html

If you used fly tape it HAS to be inaccessible to your rabbit.

My bunny himself doesn't smell, just his wee. The shampoo used I purchased from a vet which is for rabbits and guinea pigs.
The enjoys his baths and only gets 1 every 4-6 weeks. We have bathed him since he was a baby and he enjoys them a lot more now, he enjoys laying down in it.
The ants are a problem but I've changed his cage around and set him up a new play pen/ bed. Still needs a blanket and more toys adding, but after 1 day of making I'm quite proud.

I'm still looking into getting him neutered, but don't think we will be doing it anytime soon. I didn't mention his name, he is Fudge Bernard Davidson...
He has a girlfriend, however she is not a rabbit and there is a fence between them.
Thanks for the advice.ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1397811266.127965.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1397811423.280844.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1397811467.172158.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1397811505.122190.jpg
This is his indoor home, his girlfriend, outdoor home and Fudge himself.

Your problem could be that he's not litter trained an he's just got a space with hay on the floor. He's probably peeing on it and then laying down on top of it. Try litter training him and eliminating hay on the floor.

Rabbits who are not neutered will smell, because hormones give their pee extra stink and they like to spray it everywhere to mark their territory. Bathing him will not help much, in addition to being very stressful on him. Neutering is much better in the long run.

Bug bomb the room! You probably have an ant nest somewhere inside it.

I don't know. I have two fixed rabbits female and two that are not female and male and none of mine stink and the two that are not fixed are dwarf netherlands... My lop never smells and I put my face into her fur and back every day when I give her kisses. Same for Brooke and she is now about 12 pounds... same for my little dwarfs... Hum... I'm confused..

Vanessa

I know this isn't what your concern was, however you might want to place something more "grippy" in the indoor area, the floors are slippery and may cause issues, if not now, in the future for his mobility. Rabbits don't have pads on their paws to help grip surfaces they walk on, so their feet will "splay" out or they will skitter from no traction.

But I also agree with getting him neutered :)

What a nice play area for your rabbit- you are such a good owner;)

My bunny has been fine on the flooring as he was only 4 weeks old when he first started walking on it.
The hay is not on the floor it is in his cage. He has a litter tray and he is trained, however when this photo was took he was outside and we put the tray outdoors with him so he isn't confused as to where to go the loo.

Thank you very much for your kind comments!!

Latest posts

Back