My bunny runs from me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmiddle07

Reaction score
I know I haven't had my bunny long enough for him to trust me - only been 3 days. He does seem to be adjusting pretty well. He lets us pet him, he eats from our hand, and he doesn't jump at every little noise or when we approach his cage. However, when I let him out of his cage for play time, it is extremely hard to get him back in. I don't want to chase him and make things worst, but I don't know what do. The first day I let him roam the room, it wasn't as difficult to pick him up although he was clearly scared. The second day he ran and kicked. So today I placed him in his playpen. It wasn't as difficult because he had nowhere to hide. I was able to scoop him up in a blanket, held him tight and petted him for about 5 min before putting him back. So should I wait a few more days before letting him out again to give him time to adjust or do I use the pen again? The pen is a nice size, but of course it isn't like roaming a room. Is the pen the same as giving it time out the cage?

Alot of bunnies are resistant to being caught. Remember, since bunnies are prey animals, it's in their nature to feel threatened and run and not get caught.
I agree, don't chase him. That will just make him distrust you more.
How old is your bunny? If he is old enough for treats (ie favorite herb or veggie or fruit in VERY small amounts) then I would get him to associate getting a reward or treat when being put back in his cage. Same with coming up to you. Get him to associate something positive with being picked up and coming up to you.
Is his cage floor level so he can get in and out on his own? You want his cage to be his "safe zone" where he can get to any time for security.
My two are trained to go back in at night for bedtime because they get their salad and blueberry. As soon as they hear me saying "it's time for veggies" they automatically run to their cage and wait for me to get there with their bowls :)

How big is your bun? How long is he given time out to run around?

Most bunnies do not like being picked up, mine doesn't. Thumper has run from us from day one but he doesn't run in fear, he is running just wanting to play. He always has been pretty laid back personality wise. He does startle and sometimes gets spooked but not too often. He actually likes to be chased and we take turns chasing each other. When I started playing with him, I watched carefully for any signs that he was frightened.
If I had any doubts as to wether he was or not I would stop chasing.

You could try sitting on the floor and offering him some food since he will take it from your hand and then pick him up. Just be very careful in picking him up since he could injure himself.

I worked a lot to get mine use to the sound of a craisin bag being shook. Kind of like clicker training. I would lure them into their pens with the tasty treat and now they know when I say "bed time" they get a treat if they sit in their pen. All I have to do is close the door. I would be chasing my little bad rabbit till hell froze over if I had to catch her. Now mind you there are days I have to chase them into their room and corner someone but most times they oblige me. I always worry about a fire or some need to get them to come to me in a hurry and they come when that bag is shook.

Just wanted to chime in with the others. I agree that it's best to coax them into their cage in such a way that they think it is their decision to go back in (like with treats, or, in my case, I feed them their daily pellets when it's time to go back in the cage for the night).

I don't think it's ideal to pick them up and place them in their cage.

He is only 8 weeks old. According to the info I have read, he is too young for treats. When I go to pick him up, he is terrified. I let him out in the mornings when he seems the most active. I let him stay out until I see him laying behind the couch about to fall asleep (usually after about an hour or 2) then that's when I try to get him back in. I did try sitting on the floor offering him hay and rubbing him in attempt to calm him. He laid down as to say "I am scared to death so I am going to sink so low that maybe you won't see me anymore." I go to scoop him and he goes bezerK! He isn't a hyper bunny at all. Even the breeder said he was pretty laid back. Not sure if he will stay that way, but right now he's pretty calm until I try to handle him. So some of you have suggested to lure him back in the cage which sounds like a great idea. Now how do I do so with him being too young for treats? Will he eventually just get hungry and know that his food is in the cage? Do I just use his pellets or hay to attract him? Is one to two hours enough time to be free? He definitely prefers the freedom of roaming throughout the living room versus the play pen. Should I not wait a few more days to let him out again giving him more time to get used to us?

Whenever I have a new bunny, I keep him confined in his new cage for the first 48 hours. Then I put up an x-pen to allow limited freedom around the cage and open the cage door. Once he gets used to that (and going back in for potty) then I gradually increase his roaming area.
If you used an x-pen, then you could "coax" yours in by gradually shrinking in the pen until he has no choice but to hop back in his cage. He could then be "rewarded" with some pellets, since treats are out.

I still wouldn't pick him up to place him in his cage. Then he is seeing it as being forced. That has 2 negatives-- 1. he sees you as the big hand that lifts him up against his will (which can decrease or prevent his trust of you) and 2. he will view his cage as a place he is being forced into which may prevent him from seeing his cage as his sanctuary.

Lastly, when mine are out and decide to lounge somewhere, that means they are relaxed and chilling. I don't know if it's good to put your bunny back in the cage every time he decides to relax. Maybe let him enjoy his time out relaxing.

I like the idea of giving him freedom to access from the pen to his cage. I must clarify that I don't immediately place him back in when he's relaxing, but when I do have to leave I use it as a cue that I can put him back in.(so I thought) I wouldn't dare try to put him in while he is jumping and running around. I have noticed since I lifted him against his will today, he is more nervous with me now. Luckily it didn't affect how he reacts to my daughter. I will not force him back in his cage and start off with the x-pen then gradually expanding his area. Hopefully I haven't scarred our relationship for life! I usually don't have to leave my house until around 1pm, so I will let him out early morning so he will have plenty of time to hang out and be encouraged back in the cage.

I agree that having the playpen right around his cage sounds like the best option. You could either have the cage in the play pen, or connected to the play pen. Then you don't have to worry about shutting him in his cage as much, and he will be able to spend more time out. Plus limiting their area at first, helps a new rabbit get better with it's litter box habits. It will also be much easier to coax him back into his cage if you need to. If the pen is big enough, you can also spend some time just sitting in there with your bunny, so he has a chance to become more comfortable with you. If he's nervous about you touching him, then just sit in there and basically ignore him, and let him hop around and play. Bunnies are very curious, so eventually when he's comfortable enough with you, he'll want to come up and see what you are doing. Rabbits do need to get used to being picked up, for various reasons, but being new and nervous about it, you will want to avoid it as much as you can for now, until he becomes more comfortable in his new home.

The play pen in from of the cage giving him acccess in and out of the cage freely made a very happy baby this morning! Thanks for the suggestions! I gave him space this morning and this afternoon by not getting in the pen with him, but tomorrow I think I'll sit in there with him while I do my morning read.

Latest posts

Back