My bunny never seems to sleep.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charade

Reaction score
I've only had him for about two weeks but Inever have seen him just flat out asleep. A coupletimesIhave caughthim with hiseyes about 3/4 shut but it's a bit weird. My last pet was a hamster whoseemed to spend most of his days either crashed out or hyper. Is thisnormal? He's about a year.

You have to remember that the rabbit is thebottom of the foodchain. When it comes to animals, there is adirectly proportional relationship between how many predetors they haveand how many hours they sleep on average. Because a cat hasno predetors, they tend to sleep on average 14 hours a day. abunny on the other hand is low, so they sleep at best a couple hours aday. They also tend to sleep with their eyes halfopen. So all those times you saw him/her with its eyes halfshut, he/she was probably dozing. (Hamsters sleep morebecause they are in a diferent classification, nocturnal.Since their normal time to run is when we sleep, it isn't often that ahuman sees them active unless they have insomnia)

Ah, that's kind of what I thought because acouple times I have pet him when he seemed to just be relaxing and hejumped like someone had woke him up.

Then just to warn you about bunny flops.

It can be scary to see your bunny do this for the first time!

They will actually flop themselves down to the ground and go tosleep. The first time I saw that I thought that she had had aheart attack ( and I did not have this forum then) It scared me and Iwas really leary about going to the cage. But, curiousity gotthe best of me. I opened the cage and she did not move, ohcrap, I thought. I poked her once.. no movement.. I poked heragain and she jumped through the roof and scared the heck out of me.

So now that you know about that it won't scare you so much

Susan

Sometimes i see my bun with his eyes halfglazed.....like a trance then he will perk up and yawn....very rarely isee him with his eyes closed...im sure he is sleeping when you are youjust dont see it lol :sleep:

i never see my buns fully asleep. sometimes itry to catch them sleeping, but they just pop right awake. Mr Stee isright, it's the defence mechanism they need to run away from predators.

ps: wait until you see the bunny flop, if you haven't already, it's the cutest!

Nicole

Sleep !!! My girls are German'y best sleepers !! :sleep:

All they do is sleep at the moment. Now I don't mean eyes slightly closed. I mean the whole thing.

Eyes closed, dreaming (legs twitching etc..), flopping out, you name itthey do it. I thought cats slept alot, but boy my lot are aclose second.

:bed:

:rofl:

My girls like to sleepin the middle ofthe day. When I come home early from work,I try notto disturb them and they'll usually continue to snooze until afterdinner time. We leave them alone on weekends so they cansnooze all afternoon. They come out to play in the morningand after dinner, but rarely come out in the afternoon.They're pretty quiet at night too, so I'm thinking they probably spendas much time sleeping as catsdo!

7-31-05005.jpg

Latest posts

Back