My bunny fell out of balcony.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroXlpre _11

Reaction score
I didnt even understand how did she do it, But the place where she fall is 3-4 meters. When i first see her on the ground, she was shocked and was not moving a single bit. I run to the garden and grabbed her carefully and bring her back to home. She didnt seem to broke his legs, she was walking, running like normal. But i see that her tooth loosen of very much and it was bleeding, she seemed like she hit her mouth. And im very scared about it. I have also many questions about it. Does her teeth grow back? Does it cause to death? Does it cause problem with bunny-owner relationship? What kind of food should i give her? She is a playful bunny, i have been looking her for like 2 years. And i dont want to see her death. I had many pets but she is the best one. Can i do anything about it?

Attachments

• IMG_20230611_204629~2.jpg
    IMG_20230611_204629~2.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 0
The picture that i send isnt very clear, but her top left teeth is loosening. Also she wounded her lips too.

She was aggresive towards to me after i bring her home but i chilled her out and she is not aggresive to me anymore.

She is doing ok right now, but i still dont know to do. Is it even deathly? Does her teeth grow back? What to feed? I have many questions in my mind. She just sits, walks, runs like before.

I also cant go to vet, its night right now and i think vets are closed. There arent even vet close to me sadly. Can i do something about it in home?

Rabbits teeth will grow back usually. What I would be the most concerned about is possible internal injuries and bleeding or a jaw fracture, as that's a very significant fall. So if you have a knowledgeable rabbit vet you can take your rabbit to tomorrow, I would suggest going first thing, as xrays will likely be needed to rule out internal injuries or a fractured jaw.

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
If you don't have access to a vet knowledgeable and trained specifically with rabbits, I would keep a close eye out for any changes of behavior or lack of appetite. If your rabbit stops eating, that would be considered an emergency.

Rabbits teeth will grow back usually. What I would be the most concerned about is possible internal injuries and bleeding or a jaw fracture, as that's a very significant fall. So if you have a knowledgeable rabbit vet you can take your rabbit to tomorrow, I would suggest going first thing, as xrays will likely be needed to rule out internal injuries or a fractured jaw.

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
If you don't have access to a vet knowledgeable and trained specifically with rabbits, I would keep a close eye out for any changes of behavior or lack of appetite. If your rabbit stops eating, that would be considered an emergency.
My bunny is now acting like herself running, flopping following people... She is also eating normally too (she is eating right now)
My country's people usually have cats and dogs mostly so i dont think theres a really a vet that has knowledge about bunnies. Never seen a bunny owner in my country except me. I could do a research.
Thanks for helping me!!

I hope your rabbit is OK,and obviously as has been pointed out,internal injuries and broken bones are a major concern.Also,I know it's stating the obvious,but sometimes you have to, make sure that it can't happen again by either preventing her getting to the balcony or putting something around it to block it off and make it impossible.You might not be so lucky next time.I'm sure people on the forum will be happy to help you with any queries you have.If you doon't mind me asking,whereabouts do you live?

I hope your rabbit is OK,and obviously as has been pointed out,internal injuries and broken bones are a major concern.Also,I know it's stating the obvious,but sometimes you have to, make sure that it can't happen again by either preventing her getting to the balcony or putting something around it to block it off and make it impossible.You might not be so lucky next time.I'm sure people on the forum will be happy to help you with any queries you have.If you doon't mind me asking,whereabouts do you live?
I live in Turkey, İstanbul (Asian Part)

I will prevent her from getting to balcony, im pretty sure someone left balcony's door open (i live with my family). Because my balcony's door closed everytime for preventing things like this happening.

Thanks for your reply.I personally would not rely on the balcony door staying closed.I used to be a zoo keeper many years ago,and we were always taught,think of the worst thing that can happen and takes steps to prevent it before it does-it's too late after the event.I don't know what the balcony rail is made of obviously,but if you can get some netting and fix it securely around the inside to stop any further possibility of another accident,i would recommend this. Best wishes from the UK.

Thanks for your reply.I personally would not rely on the balcony door staying closed.I used to be a zoo keeper many years ago,and we were always taught,think of the worst thing that can happen and takes steps to prevent it before it does-it's too late after the event.I don't know what the balcony rail is made of obviously,but if you can get some netting and fix it securely around the inside to stop any further possibility of another accident,i would recommend this. Best wishes from the UK.
Thanks, but the problem is, i could not buy a netting, we are hardly surviving in this country with my family. My dad usually gets 7k-10k money every month and most of it goes on depts, needings etc. The average net that i can buy is like 1k-2k Liras. I can maybe solve the problem in home, because where she fell is a bit of a open spot. But i could maybe save up money and try to find and buy a netting or look up other ways. Thanks for helping again!

My bunny started to eat her own poo, i know that is very normal and needed. But her poo looks like an worm, i heard they poo like that because they have health problems like teeth problems which my bunny has. But im still not sure about it, is it true?

Can you post a picture of it?

IMG_20230612_214337.jpg
She pooped just like this. (i did just opened the towel that i cleaned up her poo) also its a little bit squished from sides because i did a bit pressure while cleaning it.

Yes, that's not healthy looking poop. Healthy cecotropes should look like a blackberry cluster, not a pasty unformed clump. Is she producing normal round fecal balls? What exact diet do you feed?

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/
A normal bunny diet, most of it being grass, sometimes vegetables and rarely fruits.
The photo was not very clear so heres a better picture;

Attachments

• IMG_20230612_222801~2.jpg
    IMG_20230612_222801~2.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 0
With regards to the netting,i understand if money is a problem,butwondered if you go on any local social media groups or sites where people offer items free? If you can find one,why not put a request for some spare netting from a kind donor-you might just get lucky.the poops definately aren't normal,and could be a result of stress from the fall,among other things.try to keep the rabbit as quiet and calm as you can and feed plenty of fibre.

Also, im gonna start giving more attention to her diet, thanks for helping
With regards to the netting,i understand if money is a problem,butwondered if you go on any local social media groups or sites where people offer items free? If you can find one,why not put a request for some spare netting from a kind donor-you might just get lucky.the poops definately aren't normal,and could be a result of stress from the fall,among other things.try to keep the rabbit as quiet and calm as you can and feed plenty of fibre.d
Thanks for tips! My grandfather maybe has some nettings left, since he has chickens and even build an hut for them. I might ask him about the netting, maybe theres some left-overs while making the hut.

Yeah i think thats the reason about the poop is that she is stressed from the fall. I never seen something happened to her before like this. I also didnt see her pooping like this. I could incrase her grass since i have a big garden with much grass. Thanks once again! Im glad i find this website!

I agree, it could be the stress from the fall, if it goes back to normal in the next couple of days. I would suggest keeping a close eye on it happening again. If the pasty cecotropes keeps happening, more grass (fiber) in the diet is usually the best thing to correct that, ensuring your rabbit is also eating the grass very well. A grass that is a medium long growth where seed heads are just starting to form, would be the best growth stage, as too much of very young early growth grass can be too rich of a growth for some rabbits, and can contribute to the mushy poop issue. That is, if you have a choice of what growth stage of the grass to feed your rabbit.

Back