My bunny dislocated her hip, please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cora B

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just found out my bunny Georgie dislocated her hip. I noticed her leaning mostly on her right hind leg as her left one is the one dislocated.

The vet told us we basically have same three options:

They could try to pop it back into place which they said would basically not work at all because she already has scarred tissue

Go to Champagne, IL (I live in Chicago) to get surgery

Have it amputated

We’re getting a quote for the surgery but I’m really scared that she wouldn’t make it through. My other bunny Flapjack recently passed away so I’m really a mess.

Please let me know if you have any tips.
thanks,

Cora

Cora, Have you taken your rabbit to UIS to have them examine her? Maybe they can give you some different options? I live in Illinois also and my local farm vet told me that most large animal vets see occasional rabbits but he didn't even know she was supposed to have a lot of hay as well as rabbit pellets. I wish you luck but don't know anything to help..I'm sure some one else does though..

You need another opinion. How long has it been dislocated, any idea? I would think if they sedate her and manipulate it back into place and then you keep her immobile while the muscle & joint heal it would be fine. Please get a 2nd opinion.

Hi all,

I just found out my bunny Georgie dislocated her hip. I noticed her leaning mostly on her right hind leg as her left one is the one dislocated.

The vet told us we basically have same three options:

They could try to pop it back into place which they said would basically not work at all because she already has scarred tissue

Go to Champagne, IL (I live in Chicago) to get surgery

Have it amputated

We’re getting a quote for the surgery but I’m really scared that she wouldn’t make it through. My other bunny Flapjack recently passed away so I’m really a mess.

Please let me know if you have any tips.
thanks,

Cora

Cora did you ever get your bunny's hip fixed?? Since I am in Illinois and I have discovered my rabbit also has a dislocated hip I would like to know what worked for your bunny.

Back