My bunny as weepy eye help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbles

Reaction score
Been to vets . With her and her as said that her eye was ok and that there nothing he can see this as been going on for 2 months 7 times I have been back with her and he still can see he look at her theet and said they were all good so worried about her she only 6 months old on Friday pls hel:bunny18:happybunny:

image.jpg

Last edited:
Been to vets . With her and he as said that her eye was ok and that there nothing he can see . this as been going on for 2 months 7 times I have been back with her and he still .can see he look at her theet and said they were all good .so worried about her she only 6 months old on Friday pls hel:bunny18:happybunny:
:nosir:

I was ask to come on here . I have ask . For help and nothing . My bunny as weepy eye . Been to vets 7 times with her .and the vet as said that her eye is health er . And had her theeth check to :nosir::USAflagwaving::whistling:blushan:need help if any one can

image.jpg

What treatment and tests has the vet done? Any antibiotic eye drops or xrays done to check for tooth root issues or infection? Was the eye checked for injury? Was the eye checked for any debris or an eye lash rubbing the eye and causing the irritation? Any runny nose or infection in the eye as well?

The most common causes of a weepy eye would be an eye infection or injury, debris or something causing continued irritation, or dental problems.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/weepy.pdf

Last edited:
Did you try to change to a different hay maybe? Could be dust from hay or if you use bedding. Such a beautiful bun!!

I'm a newer still learning bunny mom so unfortunately I can't offer any help. I hope one of our more experience members will soon see your post & be able to offer you some good advice to help your bun. Maybe someone is in your area & can recommend their vet. Hope all will be well with your bunny.

What treatment and tests has the vet done? Any antibiotic eye drops or xrays done to check for tooth root issues or infection? Was the eye checked for injury? Was the eye checked for any debris or an eye lash rubbing the eye and causing the irritation? Any runny nose or infection in the eye as well?

The most common causes of a weepy eye would be an eye infection or injury, debris or something causing continued irritation, or dental problems.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/weepy.pdf[/QUOT she had 3 lots off antibiotic and he as said her theeth are good and her eye is good

Did you try to change to a different hay maybe? Could be dust from hay or if you use bedding. Such a beautiful bun!!

Change her hay and bedding she as carefrish paper litter

If only a visual exam of the teeth were done, that isn't enough. There is a problem where a rabbits teeth can overgrow below the surface, called tooth root(or base) elongation or impaction. When this happens it can put pressure on the tear ducts causing weepy eyes. There can also be tooth root abscesses that can cause this too. You will only be able to discover these problems by taking xrays. So if xrays weren't taken, then the teeth may still be the problem.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

She only 6 months old tomorrow it is she bit young for that

No, she can still have this issue at her age, as rabbits teeth are continually growing and can grow the wrong way, in instead of out. Plus if it is an abscess causing it, that can occur at any age.

The first link I shared, lists all of the things that can cause runny eyes in rabbis. I've given you all of the info on what most often causes this problem. There's no additional information. It's up to you and your vet now, to discover if any of those things are the cause for your rabbits runny eye. Only additional testing can determine this, not me.

I had a foster who had weepy eyes, it was due to stress (I assume as she was at my house she was fine). She still has spurts of it, and the vet after tests figured it was tearduct issues. I take a warm cloth, and hold it just below the eye. It will unclog it, and I clean it. If it's green/ yellow colour I would take her to the vets.

If the discharge is watery and not cloudy it might not be an infection —it could be a blocked tear duct- many have noted blocked tear ducts happening more in maturing bucks and does, so it's thought that it might be related to surges in hormones.

I would try using an eyewash with raw Honey or Manuka honey and black tea. (I know honey sounds like a weird ingredient to use but it has antibacterial properties and They are now even making eyedrops for humans with manuka honey in them. The best honey to use is Manuka Honey and you can usually find it in health food stores but if you can't find Manuka, raw honey also can work.
To make an eyewash with honey... mix...
1 teaspoon honey with 1 teaspoon warm black tea. (to get it into the eye I just dip half a cotton ball into the mixture and squeeze it so drops falls into eyes). I have used it on my own bunnies and I also tried it in my own eyes- it doesn't burn or anything so it can't hurt to try it.

Back