My bunnies have ear mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Both my rabbits have ear mites. Sweetie and Prince have them. About a couple weeks ago I took Prince to get checked for ear mites at the vet because I found white spots in his right ear. Sure enough he has ear mites. Started him on the ear mite medicine Ivermectin. He and Sweetie both had an appointment last Wednesday. Prince had to get his second injection and Sweetie got checked. Sure enough she has them too. So to not reinfect Prince, because he is getting better, I started Sweetie on the Ivermectin injections. Mind you, I go to the vet and let the vet give the injections, I do not do them myself.

Right now I do have them separated. They are in different cages and yes they are bonded. They also can see each other and talk to each other. I am hoping that I can put them back in the same cage after they both clear up. They have been separate before when I was living at my old place, but they were let out to play together and they get along just fine.

What can I do to make sure that the ear mites do not come back?

I have never dealt with ears mites, or mites of any type yet so can't offer much on the actual rabbit side.

I will say that it is worth scrubbing and cleaning any area they go to prevent the area reinfecting them. I'm not sure if that is a risk with ear mites but its what I would do.

In terms of the bonding, hopefully they will bond back together really easily, however, when you start take it as a new bond and do it on neutral territory etc because they will have established their own territories alone and you might rock the boat if you just put them together. Hopefully it should be like a regular bond but because there was no animosity it should be a really quick bonding back.

In the future, if something like this arisesan optionmay be to keep them together but to routinely treat the both of them at the same time (ETA- that's what I do with mine when it comes to things like worming and what I would do with any other parasite issues-which, so far, touch wood, have not arise. however, that does not necessarily mean that is 'best' because everyone has different opinions on that), far less stress for them and it would probably make it infinitely easier for you too because you wouldn't have to worry about the rebonding aspect :)

I hope they clear up soon for them both.

Thanks Flashy. I hope they clear up too. The vet said that the ear mites could get worse before they get better but that, he said, is really rare, but he has seen it. I am just glad that they are getting better and not getting worse. I hope they clear up soon.

You definitely have to treat the environment as well. There are powders you can use on carpeting, etc, and also diatomaceous earth has been used successfully by some forum members. I don't know what other stuff you use to treat the carpet, etc. I agree that in the future you should just keep them together and treat at the same time.

This has been used successfully from what I've read - fortunately I only have hardwood flooring in my house, so haven't had to use this on my floors (it can be sprinkled around the baseboards, in cupboards, etc).

https://www.earthworkshealth.com/

Latest posts

Back