my bun made a noise?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
I was on the floor following Kirby around on all fours for a few minutes. I went to pick him up when.... there was sort of a weird noise! It sounded like a combo of a human low-sounding passing of gas and a sheep's "baaaa". it was quiet, barely audible. I wasn't expecting any noises from my usually sweet bunny so I thought maybe he just passed gas. then he hopped over to the door of his play pen and pawed at it....and made the sound again! it's weird! I've never heard that before. What is it? Has anyone heard before? Maybe it was just gas???

Did it sound like a growl? From buns they sound like a weak ughh sound. Hard to explain. Lasts about 2 seconds and is kind of deep sounding and doesn't change pitch. "ughhhhh".;)

Sounds like a growl to me. Bo does that when he's ticked. It sort of sounds like a person grumbling under their breath?

They can also "honk" which sounds similar to grunting. Honking is a happy noise, whereas grunting is an angry/irritated noise.

With my buns, you have to base the noise's meaning off of how the rabbit is acting or what they're doing. If I am giving Toby a snack and he's making that noise, it's happy. If I am trying to pick him up and put him away and makes it, he's not happy!

Kirby literally sounded like "baa?" It was a deep voice. it didnt like like a grunt, it just sounded like baa. But he didn't seem happy with me following him around so perhaps it was my silly bun's attempt at sounding angry. He's so cute, thinking he's a sheep.... :)

Hmm, that's odd. :?My bunnies grunt when they are playing outside and I pick them up, probably because they still want to be playing still. And it doesn't sounds like a "baaa" like a sheep.. I've never heard my rabbits to that before.

Was this the only time Kirby has made this noise? Maybe you could try to follow him around again, and record the noise if you can...

Karlee

My guess would be that is his honking sound. Ruby makes low "uhh" kind of noise, and my daughters mini rex is nicknamed "honky." it's the funniest thing in the world, I had never heard a rabbit make those sounds. "honk honk honk..." It almost sounds like giggling sometimes.

I think bunnies are capable of making a *lot* more sounds than most of us realize. My bun (spayed) makes a lot of sounds that are a bit like "grr-honk" (happy noises), and has even squawked - very loudly, in fact! (That's her main "I'm really PO'd at you" sound - it's SO bird-like, it's amazing.)

I have no difficulty believing that there's a bunny who makes a sheep sound! ;)

Edited to add - just found this (http://www.3bunnies.org/understanding.htm) which might be helpful.

Communicating With Your Bunny

Here is a listing of some of the most common rabbit behaviors that you can interpret:

Growling or snorting

This means "leave me alone"; it can also be accompanied by lunging or scratching to fend off potential attacks, so you should heed the warning. You may also discover that you just have a very vocal chatterbox, and you'll find out soon enough. Some bunnies are fairly vocal with grunts, snorts, whuffles, coos, and many other sounds that you might not expect, since other rabbits never make a sound. The vocal rabbits are usually just criticizing everything you do.

Low squealing

Most rabbits use this when they want to be put down and allowed to run free. It is also used for criticizing humans in general, such as how they are petting or approaching.

Loud squealing/screaming

This is an indication that the rabbit is either in extreme pain or great danger. If not in great danger, this means you need to get your bunny to the vet - it may be dying. (It is theorized that one of the reasons a dying rabbit may scream is simply to draw predators to finish the job and stop any suffering; it is not necessarily an indication that its death comes at great suffering).

Cooing (The "happy noise")

This is a sign that the rabbit is very happy, but is hard to describe - it sounds a little like cooing or soft grunting, but without aggression. You can hear an example of a happy noise made by a bunny named Simon here. (Click on the image of musical notes) (NOTE: this recording is now included in a natural museum in England) (NOTE: if you play this sound and your bunnies hear it, they may go nuts with glee)

Link to Simon's page:http://members.aol.com/bunster2/carla.htm

Video of honking/"beeping" bunny: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ogJaVQ2aU&feature=related[/ame]

The audio on this is really good! :)

Uh oh... sorry! I'll have to check a couple of places and see if his owner has started a new website. The sound is a very deep, guttural "Uhh uhhh uhh." (Seems to come from deep in Simon's chest.)

Did you check out the video link I just posted?

Nope, didn't see it until now! *scampers off to go watch video*

This is the noise that Toby makes when I feed him. He makes the squeaky sounds while eating :)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGSaAFqjtg[/ame]

Wow, thanks! That's the squawking sound I was trying to describe a little while ago - my bun only does this when she's upset with me. (Really upset.)

I've never been able to distinguish between her "happy" grunts and her angry grunts. To my ears, they sound alike, so I have to figure it out from context.

Oh boy, am I familiar with bun noises! Teeny used to make this little "ooh ooh ooh ooh" type sound to Flower (and Flower only), and would run back and forth. I think she was his lady. :)

SweetPea squeals like a baby piglet when we try to clip her nails. It usually gets spread over a few days' time, as Danny holds her and I clip them (she's VERY good at hiding her paws underneath her belly and not letting us get them out, lol, so Danny has to hold her), and Danny gets pretty fussy with his baby. So, when she really starts squealing (it's such a funny sound, lol), he'll say, "Why don't we stop for now?" Hehe!! He can be such a softie!!

And then you have Velveteen...he used to make this little buzz sound and then thump right after to get my attention. Actually, I don't know now whether it was that, as much as to get fed all the faster, lol!

And then Flower, grunting and honking extraordinaire! She's quite the vocal bun!

We've sure got all SORTS of sounds coming from our babies! LOL!

Well... I personally haven't heard Kirby make a peep since that day... except once, my husband said Kirby squeaked last week. He was working super late on the computer in Kirby's room and just out of nowhere (no one was bothering him or interacting with him, he was totally ignored in fact),he said it was a squeak, not like the "baaaa" noisethat I heard (I am going to assume I heard an angry grunt).

Weird, huh? He does not make any other noises. very quiet bunny!

Confirmed! I was following Kirby around one night and I clearly heard him this time. It was a grunt that sounded like a "baaaa". LOL My bunny just grunts like a sheep. What a silly thing. :)

Maherwomanyour Sweetpea sounds like a right character! I love the way you describe her schemes to prevent her nails being clipped- had me in hysterics! :D

Omg Maherwoman that is exactly what my Pippin does!! Buzzes or hums with a few seconds, and then thumps. I never understood what it meant. Lol it must be something to do with attention bless him. I didn't realise other rabbits did it too!!!

My Benji is very vocal! He honks, grumbles, chatters with happiness- everything lol!

maherwoman wrote:
Oh boy, am I familiar with bun noises! Teeny used to make this little "ooh ooh ooh ooh" type sound to Flower (and Flower only), and would run back and forth. I think she was his lady. :)

SweetPea squeals like a baby piglet when we try to clip her nails. It usually gets spread over a few days' time, as Danny holds her and I clip them (she's VERY good at hiding her paws underneath her belly and not letting us get them out, lol, so Danny has to hold her), and Danny gets pretty fussy with his baby. So, when she really starts squealing (it's such a funny sound, lol), he'll say, "Why don't we stop for now?" Hehe!! He can be such a softie!!

And then you have Velveteen...he used to make this little buzz sound and then thump right after to get my attention. Actually, I don't know now whether it was that, as much as to get fed all the faster, lol!

And then Flower, grunting and honking extraordinaire! She's quite the vocal bun!

We've sure got all SORTS of sounds coming from our babies! LOL!

I'm not to familar with bun noises, mine have always been pretty quiet, except for occoasional sneezing or sudden scary choking sounds, ugh.

Rosie? So glad so see you posting and hanging around a bit, I know I miss you!

You are some of the glue here, girl!:) Give Em a kiss from me. Keep in touch.:)

Back