My bun can't be tranced! Help?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
I have two bucks, Katmai and Dutch. Both are restless by nature. I know for a fact they can't be put in a "trance" like most bunnies can. I need to cut their nails but they're too fidgety. I can take him to a vet but I dont want to pay money to get the nails clipped. Does anyone have suggestions?

I don't even try to trance my rabbits and many rabbit do not trance .

You can try wrapping him in a towel burrito and holding him while a 2nd person clips his nails.

here are some other ideas from the library . No one does it the same way.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12075&forum_id=17

if you are near a shelter that houses rabbits stop in some time and possibly one of the staff will clip them for you or at least help you.

1. Place a towel flat on the floor.
2. Wrap the bunny GENTLY in the towel
3. Carefully pick up the bunny
4. Carefully, use the towel to cover the bunnies head
5. In one gentle monition, turn the bunny over. Most of mine aren't even aware that they're on their backs.
6. Clip their nails! Check for the quick (red part where blood flow is) on every nail before clipping.

Works for even my most death-hate-of-being-held bunnies. :) It does take a while with rabbits that really hate being held. Usually, I'm able to clip one paw, turn them over, relax them, then repeat.

if you have someone that can hold your bunny in an upright (prairie dog ) position while you clip--it works for us quite nicely as my right hand and wrist have been extensively re-built so it is hard to hold any bunny and even try to clip.

Nancy's suggestion is good. It's kinda like this video, which has helped me a lot: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare#p/u/5/cyyxQRoAhcw[/ame]

I know that if somebody came into the shelter/adoption center with their bunny and asked for help with nail trims I'd absolutely help, and show how I do it myself too, for free!

Latest posts

Back