My boys have had a fight. :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhi Rhi

Reaction score
My 2 rescue buns have had a fight. When I went out to feed them this morning, their hutch was a mess and I found bits of fur dotted around. There aren't any marks on them and there isn't any blood... I've had them for a week tomorrow but they've been together for about 2 years(ish). The foster carer who had them before said they once had a little spat over food but also no blood...

:cry2 :help

UHg, that's no good :( i hate hearing stories like these because I have bonded pair and I know how important it is they get along.

It always seems to be same sex bonds. M/M can be challenging and more prone to spontaneous fighting. A location change (ie their new home with you) for some reason can upset things and fighting occurs. I would be prepared to seperate them and possibly start a rebonding process.

This seems like a silly question but just to be sure...they are both neutered right?

You could try and give their pellets and veggies in separate dishes. Maybe that can help prevent future food related fights, if that's what this was over. Another possibility that I was thinking that the fight could have been over, was maybe that new bed you got them, because it's something new that's been introduced. Just a guess though. If you think that could be it, you could try taking it out, or get a second one.

Hey guys. I had a slight funny feeling at the back of my mind that it could be the new bed... They're completely fine today. They were both sat in their box of hay cuddled etc. They do get a little boisterous when I'm feeding them. I tend to hand feed them their pellets and veggies etc. I use it for bonding and that way I make sure their feeding is controlled. I think I'll take the bed out and see what happens...

Yeah they were both neutered last May. I have their vet card.

Yeah, I tried giving my two buns a nice soft fluffy bed, and all they kept doing is peeing and pooping on it, I figured it was to mark it as 'their bed' so the other bun wouldn't use it. Problem is they both peed on it, so neither one got to use it. I guess rabbits are a bit like kids, sometimes they just don't want to share :)

Well there seems to be no signs of squabbling making me a happy bunny! :big wink:

I've had a thought and just wanted to swing it past you guys first... I thought I might be killing two birds with one stone here also. I thought about bringing the boys into the kitchen for an hour so I could do a bit of bonding with them. They'd be able to hop about and I'd be able to lie on the floor with them and not freeze to death! Also, the kitchen is really quite cool so it wouldn't be too hot for them. I thought it might work for getting them to bond a little bit more too? Thoughts? :)

It should be just fine. I know that I'd much rather bring the bunnies in then sit out in the freezing cold myself :) Plus they'll get a chance to explore and play. If you have slippery floors, you may need to put a cloth or rug of some sort, on the floor for them to hop around on. Just keep an eye out for signs of then getting too hot, and maybe have a dish of water that they could drink from too. And you'll want to make sure there aren't any power cords they can get to.

It should be just fine. I know that I'd much rather bring the bunnies in then sit out in the freezing cold myself :) Plus they'll get a chance to explore and play. If you have slippery floors, you may need to put a cloth or rug of some sort, on the floor for them to hop around on. Just keep an eye out for signs of then getting too hot, and maybe have a dish of water that they could drink from too. And you'll want to make sure there aren't any power cords they can get to.

Hmmm yeah the floor is slightly slippy... I could put some rugs down though. :) The trick now is them letting me pick them up!

When I take more than one of my rabbits outside to play, I'll load them up in a plastic bin or laundry basket. You could use a box too. Just make sure they don't try to jump out the top while you're carrying them. I'll sometimes place a towel over the top so they won't jump out.

Back