My boys had a fight.. slight bite to genitals?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Agh :(

I had the trio and Georgie out yesterday for some bonding (went quite well considering the circumstances) and I guess Bruno got interested in going to see Georgie. Got woken up by my brother telling me both were in the same cage... :shock:

I checked both over and there's nothing I can see right now, but I'll keep checking them in the next couple of days. The only fur I found in the cage was just tuffs, no skin attached.. so that's promising. They are both fine, except when I flipped Georgie over I noticed a bit of blood by his genitals. I checked him, and it seems there are two tiny indents into the side of his penis skin.It seemsminor, but I'm quite worried. I've replaced his litter with paper towel so I can make sure he's still peeing and no blood is coming.. but other than that, what should I do? Will this be something that would heal on it's own? I don't even think they could be stitched, they are just indents it seems, but I'll check him again this afternoon in better light.

I gave them all their breakfast and they seem find, munching on hay and acting normal. I've been meaning to redo the cages (just have the connectors without zip ties).

`I would clean the bites wellwith diluted betadine (which will not burn)..

it is important to get all the bacteria out of those bites .You could also apply neosporin but he most likely will eat it.

if you do this right away it is likely that you can prevent an infection

Thanks! I don't have any betadine, but will pick some up (will be good to have in the future just incase). I have some polysporin, so will put a few dabs on and then have a cuddle with him on the sofa so it gets a chance to stay on.

Just went down to check on him and there's lots of pee on the paper towel, and no sign of blood. So that's good!

You can get povidine . betadine (not iodine) at a drugstore ; it is very red and sort of messy but doesn't sting.; you can apply it to the bites with a cottonball

Betadine is great. We had a similar incident, in which Ben ended up with a bloody penis, and we weren't sure whether it was a bite that caused it or friction from him humping (which has caused other bunnies to bleed from the penis). Just keep an eye on it and put betadine on it 1-2x daily.

Thanks! It seems to be fine, no swelling or sign of anything going wrong. Wound is nice and light pink and seems to be healing well. I've been checking it in the morning and at night. He's not fazed at the least, little munchkin! I've been gently cleaning it with a bit of warm water and applying polysporin on it with sterile gauze until I can pick up some Betadine. Just newspaper for litter at the moment, so no hay or wood pellet can irritate it. Lots of pee, so no trouble in that department!

I consider myself incredibly lucky.. just thinking about what happened with Dawn's guy, I am incredibly thankful! I guess Bruno was just looking to cut out the competition (no pun intended). Silly boys! Bruno doesn't have a mark on him at the least.. which is surprsing, since it was Georgie'spen he went into.

Latest posts

Back