My boy stopped eating…

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ek226

Reaction score
Hello,
I am coming in here with a worry.
My boy Magnolia has been acting strange. And o am trying to figure out if I need to take him to the emergency vet, or wait till 8am for my vet to open.

At around 10:30pm I noticed he was moving his mouth very strangely and then he started to lay down weirdly. He kept laying down, then getting up, and so on. He also seemes to lay in a way to relieve pressure on his tum. He hasn’t eaten since 10:30pm and it is now 2:44am. He did go to the bathroom a couple times but only took a little bit of willow leaves from me a while ago. He also hasn’t drank enough since then. He has become less figety in the last hour, but still refuses to eat or drink, and his ears are cold.
I am not trying to decide if he can wait until 8am, or not. The emergency vet has some experience with rabbits, but I don’t know home much.
Any suggestions would be fantastic. Unfortunately I don’t have baby gas drops or a syringe to feed him….
Thank you!!

Baby gas drops are the first thing I try. Very gentle belly massage and encouraging movement will sometimes help as well.

If you didn't end up going to the emergency vet and he still is showing signs of discomfort/pain and not eating, definitely call your vet as soon as they open. Or if he is showing any signs of it being bloat, I would get to the emergency vet immediately if they have a vet experienced with rabbits.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Acute_gastrointestinal_dilation
Until you get him to the vet, if you have a warm pack or safe way to help keep him warm(making sure not to overheat), I would suggest helping him warm up, as a sick rabbit often gets chilled, and a cold rabbit is less inclined to want to start eating again.

https://rabbit.org/2013/02/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer/

Thank you guys! I took him to the emergency vet and they gave me critical care and another medication with my promise that I would get blood work done for him. He hates the critical care though! And as a 10.5 pound rabbit it is… difficult. I really appreciate the help!

Latest posts

Back