My bonded pair are fighting.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagomorphic

Reaction score
I have a pair of rabbits that have always lived together. They are about 3 months old, the buck was castrated about a month ago, the doe is yet to be sterilised. Today I see that the doe has a cut on its face, surely caused by the buck. He has been chasing her round the pen for about 5 weeks so he was castrated in the hope that this behaviour would wane, but it hasn't.

Would sterilising the female stop the buck from chasing her, causing her undue stress?

What can I do? Thanks

Their 3 months old and hes been bugging her for 5 weeks? Their definitely not bonded. Seperate them and get her spayed (yes you can do it with her young age as long as the vet is compitent) then begin to bond them when shes healed.

:yeahthat:

Baby "bonds" don't count as bonds. Those hormones almost always interfere. It can take up to 8 weeks after a neuter for hormones to dissipate. Both rabbits should be fixed in order to bond.

Right now it is important that you separate them. If they have any further fights, it may prevent them from ever bonding in the future. Her hormones will affect the relationship too. So separate them completely until she is spayed and healed.

In the meantime, do research on how to bond rabbits. It will require neutral territory and some knowledge of bunny body language (and possibly tons of patience). Ultimately it will be up to the rabbits as to whether or not they will bond.

I agree with everything said above. Baby bonds are not bonds there hormones have not kicked in yet. You need to separate them straight away. Get the female Sprayed then wait about 4 weeks and then start bonding. If you let this continue they could both end up with serious injuries :(

Thanks for the great advice. I will separate them, and have her sterilized.

Latest posts

Back