My Bohemian Bunnies part 2..2011

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm here. I'm worried about BunBun so I've been lurking and reading. I had him to the vet and it's not good. He has a rare cancer. The vet said to make him comfortable and love him. I had options of removal but given his already weak immune system since the cat attack, he didn't think he would survive an operation. I'm now having to agonize over letting nature run its course or euthanization but I have read extensively about it and it doesn't appear to be humane for rabbits as it is for dogs and cats.

He's eating well but has lost vision in both eyes. I'm giving him as much as he wants in terms of food. He is drinking, peeing, pooping and I reiki him quite a few times a day and he perks up after it for a few hours. I can feel from my hands where his pain is.

This is horrible. The strangest thing is how plush and healthy is fur is. It feels like it did when he was a teeny baby. Since the cat attack, it has been lack luster.

This decision is awful and I don't know what to do.
I hate the thought of him in pain but if putting him to sleep is traumatic and the ride to the vets would be too, I'm leaning strongly towards just keeping him home with me.

I'm so very sorry Trist. :(Only you know what is best to do. I believe that if it all becomes too much, you will know when and if putting him to sleep would be necessary. For now, I can understand why you would want to keep him home.

Much love to you both.

It was quick, lisa, a week ago, I noticed a lump on his left hip area. I took him to the vet who palpated it only and said it was prob. a cyst. he told me to watch it and within two days!!! it was the size of a ping pong ball. the vet did blood tests and told me he has cancer and I don't remember the name of it..I've been so overwhelmed. After another vet visit, and more blood work, the vet said that his kidneys and liver were strained. He said we could remove the growth and give chemo but that if he survived the op (which he said was highly unlikely)he wouldn't survive the chemo. I had no idea cancer could spread like wildfire.
all within a week.
He is on pain killers, metacam again and i've been reiking him every few hours and he seems to perk up a bit after that. It's horrible. That's all I can say. My family says to be kind and put him to sleep. I just can't do it. I can't. I am deeply in tune with him. he is my heartbunny. I know what he is thinking and feeling as strange as I may sound saying that. I will know what he wants.
I'm exhausted. I cry all the time away from him because I don't want to stress him out but last night I put him on my lap and he just laid there and I cried into his fur which had that babysmell to it.
He knows I love him and I feel his love back. This is a very intimate time. I don't want him to go at the vet's. I want him home with me so he can know how much he is loved and how I honoured what he wanted. If he wants to go to the vet, I'll know. I hope I'll know.

oh noooo Trist.....take a pic of it ,i wanna see.

give him a big ol squeeze from me...
PrayerAndHugsAngel.gif

I can't take a picture. i don't want this time with him with a camera on him. I don't want a reminder of this when he does pass on. thank you for the hug, i will definitely give him one from you :hearts

Well, last night was interesting. BunBun was extra energetic like he used to be. My kids and I were happy crying to watch him. It was easy to forget he is ill. He seemed so happy which I needed to see and I'm glad I didn't make "that" decision.

He went over to Phin's cage and they laid side by side through the bars and Phin licked BunBun's head. They really haven't had a mucho close relationship given that they are both boys, I assume, but this time, Phin was very loving toward BunBun. They laid like that for nearly an hour.

I had Isabella/Rico on my lap and she/he put her head on my arm. She has never been that relaxed. It was the perfect animal night. The cats were calm and when BunBun was running around, Manu just laid on the floor and when he came over SHE licked his head.

Just some blissed out moments in a worried house. We so needed that. Sometimes it's easy to get bogged down in the heaviness of what's going on but for the four hours that BunBun was out and was energetic again, just like he used to be, I was able to get the unhappiness/worry out of my mind.

Awesome night. Amazing night.

Dear tris,
:( I'm so speechless after I read your blog. I'm truly sorry for what you guys have been through and for Bunbun's sickness and... oh this is hard. :( I'm really sorry for bring gone so long and didn't know what you've been facing with. I wish you and Bunbun the best. In my opinion, I think you did the right thing. Home is the warmest and the nicest place for Bunbun. He loves you, he loves your home. There won't be any other place he wants to be. The love you give him will make things easier and better, you know ? I'm so glad to hear that Bunbun is a happy baby boy and really has great time, the most luckiest thing...is that he has you ! I'm here now, Tris. Whenever you need to talk or anything. Please let me know.
Kisses and hugs for you and Bunbun :kiss1:

Hi Vircia, I'm around, mainly just reading. It makes me sad sometimes because I'm watching BunBun failing. It's so hard. Somedays I wish he would choose to pass on because it's hard to see him this way but I can not make that final decision. He doesn't seem in pain but spends 90% of the time sleeping.
He falls asleep sitting up or with his head in his feeding bowl. I know it won't be long and I don't want to prolong his suffering but I won't ever forget when my Simon was put to sleep. It wasn't pleasant or peaceful, that's why I am just making BunBun as comfortable as I can right now.
Other than that, I try to be upbeat. Phin is huge now.. He's a character.. I feel guilty because most of my energy and attention is on BunBun. phin gets lots of attention from everyone else thank god but I haven't cuddled him in about a week. He is out running around, having fun but I'm scared our bond has weakened since I am spending my time with BunBun.
So so hard.
Blah.
Hugs Vircia xo Thanks for asking about us :)

I am so proud of my daughter!!!! I can't even tell you how much. She has bad asthma the last 5 years and she has a puffer etc. She went for allergy testing yesterday and she was told she was allergic to grasses, timothy hay, RABBITS but she is ok with cats.
The allergist grrrrr said to her we should "get rid of the rabbits" She FREAKED and said "you have GOT to be kidding me"
She said she would move out before she would let something like that happen!!
Needless to say she is not moving out, she was just making a point.
I said to her, "you would have had to move out because my bunnies are going nowhere!"
so proud.
BunBun is having a good day today, that warms my heart. He is running around again. So it's good days and bad but today is a good day :)
The guinea pig who I believe is a male, and now named Rico is the sweetest thing ever.... The first time I saw him do a guinea pig "binky" we thought something was wrong with him lol he ran like a buffalo, shoulders all hunched and doing these crazy head things, front legs all stiff as he did his thing..
I am going to take pictures today. I have to share this stuff in pics :)
I'm excited too because I'm making a room just for my babyboy Phin, that way he will be out all the time but somewhere safe and at night he can sleep in his cage.

I'm glad Bunbun is doing okay. That boy deserves happy days :) Guinea pigs have their own "binky" ? Wow, I didn't know. I wish I can see one. :)

Good to hear Trist.I am glad things are going well. I hope her allergy isn't too severe. It's not so easy to deal with especially combined with asthma when it's bad.

So Isabella is now a boy? :confused2:Heh. Lol.

Vircia, I'll try to get a video of my boys popcorning (that's what they call the guinea pig binky) for you. :)

Latest posts

Back