My AC broke!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozed

Reaction score
Our AC wasn't working right for a while now, butit really hasn't been too hot for us.... until yesterday! It got to bealmost 90 degrees in the house and even with the fan I knew that we hadto get Bayle out of there. I told my bf that if we didn't go to myparents house (an hour and a half away) that we may lose our new baby.He agreed and here we are... we got here last night and Bayle seems tobe doing fine. I can't imagine how much better he feels. I love thatbunny way too much to let anything happen to him (and i've only had him2 weeks lol). Everything seems to be ok now, i'm driving to worktomorrow alone and will drive all the way back after work. My father isan AC man and is going to be taking care of it very soon (in the nextcouple of days). The sooner I get Bayle back home the happier i'll be :)

Sorry if I rambled a bit too much lol I'm just glad that he is ok.
***Phew***
~Mandy

Have I misunderstood, or is the heat really badfor bunnys. I was in the understanding that 80 degrees was dangerousfor a bun.... am i wrong?
~Mandy

Thats a great bunny mom!! There are things youcould have done to keep him comfortable...but I think what you did isbest....you went above and beyond...

And trust me I know about the attachment..I'd only had Corky about 3months when he got very sick and has had surgery (still don't know thebill on that yet)....and I don't care!! I'll work OT or whatever I haveto in order to pay for it. He's my lil man and I've shed manya tears over thinking he wasn't gonna make it!

Yes, heat is hard on bunnies...I keep a fan running in the bunny room(actually 2 of em) to make sure they don't overheat...I have it onanytime its over 70 outside.

We don't have AC. It'sawful. I'm worried about the bunnies, but I figure if myferrets can handle it, they will be fine. Today it was almost90 degrees here. Sampson and I were visiting a friend, so itwas ok, but the AC in the car doesn't work, so we had a hot ridehome. He had 2 frozen water bottles to keep himcool. I think I was tons warmer then he was. It'sgoing to be a long summer if I don't get moved somewhere with AC.

Jen

You didn't ramble too much, Mandy. Bless yourheart. Heat is extremely dangerous to rabbits. Trust your instincts.They're very keen.

Do look at the link that Pet_Bunny posted.

*way to go, Pet_Bunny* :highfive:

Jen,

As per usual, you were prepared. Give Sampson a kiss for me. I love that Beast!

:kiss:

-Carolyn

Thanks guys... glad to know I did the rightthing. I just hope it wasn't too scarey for him. He doesn't seem tolike it here much, but its probably because its all new surroundings.We should be back in the house (with AC whoo hoo!!) in just a couple ofdays... till then i'll be driving back and forth to work (2 hour drivethere) with no ac in the car lol... but i don't mind as long as Bayleis alright.
~Mandy

Dozed wrote:
Thanks guys... glad to know I did the right thing. I justhope it wasn't too scarey for him. He doesn't seem to like it heremuch, but its probably because its all new surroundings. We should beback in the house (with AC whoo hoo!!) in just a couple of days... tillthen i'll be driving back and forth to work (2 hour drive there) withno ac in the car lol... but i don't mind as long as Bayle is alright.
~Mandy
Spoken like a true mom....bunny or human mom... ;)

Well I'm not a human mommy yet, but I've definately realized that I am a bunny mommy now and I love it :)

But I must add that it is a bit stressful at times lol

~Mandy

Carolyn wrote:
Jen,

As per usual, you were prepared. Give Sampson a kiss for me. I love that Beast!

:kiss:

-Carolyn
Carolyn: He got tons of kisses this weekend from my friend.She adores him. Her huge sulcatta tortoise was so put outthough. I have to post about his adventure to find me in themiddle of the night. He missed his mommy.

Jen

Dozed wrote:
Have I misunderstood, or is the heat really bad for bunnys.I was in the understanding that 80 degrees was dangerous for a bun....am i wrong?
~Mandy

I bring my buns inside at temps of 90 and up. Have some frozen water bottles on hand for emergencies :p

Well i went all the way to work (2 hour drivethere and another 2 hour drive back) just to find out that my boss hadover scheduled people for the setup area in the lab.... so i was onlythere for 2 1/2 hours. (woke up at 4:30am in order to get there at7:30... left there at 10)

I just wish someone could have called me to let me know not to come ina bit sooner so I didn't have to drive that far, but I went to the petstore while i was there and got some more aspen pellets for hisbedding. I also went by the house and checked on everything. Thingsseemed to be fine there except it was hot lol.

~Mandy

The heat is horrible. I live in Florida and thisis my first bunny summer, so hopefully it won't be that bad. That is,if we can dodge the hurricanes :disgust:

It was 97* here today. It was miserable.I turned the a/c on for the kids while I was gone. I am so grateful forit. All five kids were sound asleep when we finally got home.The frozenwater bottles help so much. I've also used a cool wash on Apollo's earsto help cool him down.

You are such a good bunny mom.

Tina

Awww Thank You! You too!

Yes I work in a microbiology laboratory at the hospital... I testtissues, urine, stool, sputum.... pretty much the gross stuff. We testfor bacteria, fungus and acid fast bacilli (which is associated withtuburculosis). Can be interesting, but rather dangerous in my opinion.

We also deal with blood, we test it for bacteria.

Hope it cools off a bit sometime soon, this heat is miserable! Bad thing is, it isn't even bad yet....
But at least i'll have AC soon :) and be back home.

~Mandy

Tina's ways of cooling down a bun aregreat! I also like to put a little crushed ice or very coldwater in their drinking bottle.

Please realize that a fan does absolutely NOTHING to cool down arabbit. A fan cools us off because the air flow increases therate at which the perspiration on our body evaporates. Allrabbits and most cats and dogs(except some hairless breeds) do notsweat like we do. They don't have sweat glands as a form tocool themselves down. This does mean that they do better iscold windy weather because they don't feel the "wind chill" somuch. But it also means a fan does nothing but blow hot airat them and may possibly make them even more uncomfortable.

However you can use a fan if you lightly sprits your bunny with waterfirst. Then the water will act as sweat and will evaporate cooling thebunny off.

Well now that we packed up and left there Sundaynight, he has been a cool house. We are getting AC put in very soon(next two days maybe... hopefully). But I will be honest, when we werein that hot house with no AC... we had a fan that sat on the floor andBayle seemed to love it... I wasn't sure if it was good for him atfirst so I didn't blow it on him... but he jumped out of his cage andlayed RIGHT in front of it and seemed to play a lot more when it wason. We probably wont be using it at all thought when we get back...well at least I hope we don't have to use it since we are getting aBRAN-NEW AC unit put in.

Thanks for all of your support. I haven't been a memeber very long, butI love you guys and I've learned so much already!! (and i seem to be abit addicted to this forum lol)

Have a good night!
~Mandy

oh ...kind of gross lab thing... I was running atissue culture sample to see which dilution of the cells i was usingwas the best....and while doing the flourescent staining, there weresoooooooo many mycobacterium..i couldnt belive it.. it was kindascary..my cultures had to be thrown away and the lab bleached andethanoled to death!

Yeah Its pretty nasty... trust me. I know allll about Mycobacterium... all that stuff kinda freaks me out, but its a job lol.

Good Luck and if you think you have anything airborn be careful... I amso freaked out working with tuberculosis all the time lol... there isno telling what I will end up with. We also do flu test, strep test,and other kit tests. I have been to the doctor and been on antibioticsmore than I think I ever have since i got this job in November... I'vehad strep, pneumonia, the flu, you name it. Just be careful!

~Mandy

Latest posts

Back