my 9 rabbits :3

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who would YOU have chosen if you were in that situation? (read my post first)

Results are only viewable after voting.
But do you guys honestly think I started this post "just to get attention"? No! It was to talk about my rabbits, and apparently you guys just can't deal with it that I'm making a decision particular to my situation.

I think people just believe that you are making a decision that is gambling recklessly with your rabbits life. To be honest, your track record with rabbits isn't the best. I've had rabbits for going on 8 years and so far, (Knock on wood) I've lost two. One was from a vicious bout of GI Stasis (We're still not sure what caused it) and one was not directly because of us, we returned it to the breeder and he died later. However, you've lost a staggering amount in a fairly short amount of time, and age cannot even be blamed, since I was only a year older then you when I got my first bunny Frost.

I just think that you should realise that people's advice is to help the rabbits only. I took advice and people's criticism thoughtfully, went through with it, and look at my rabbits. Happy, healthy and social, trusting little creatures.

If you don't want to listen to what people with rabbit experience have to say specifically to you, then:

http://www.earthskids.com/bunnyreproduction-b.aspx

I've heard that letting bunnies go into the wild is similar to sending a child naked into the wilderness and expecting them to survive. Just because chimpanzees can do it doesn't mean we can. And just because wild bunnies can live outside doesn't mean your domestic bunny can.

God didn't save your rabbit that you only fed lettuce to, or the one you left outside in the rainstorm, or the one that froze to death. He expects you to care for your pets. If you won't, find someone who can do it.

(Also, you did say that she would "come out of hiding" to greet you. How happy do you think she is that she has to hide every day?)

Kipcha wrote:
and age cannot even be blamed, since I was only a year older then you when I got my first bunny Frost.

Age might not be to blame, but situations are. Unlike you (I'm sure, but I guess I can't be so sure as I don't know you) back then, I had the support of me myself and I. I was a desperate little girl who always begged my parents for a dog since I was 6. I read every single dog book out of my school library and was obsessed with dogs and any other animal that could potentially be a pet. I was completely obsessed with animals and caught insects outside and tried making them pets. When I was finally allowed Circle and Thumper, neither of their arrivals were planned. Like I said, my mom hadn't taken me to get a rabbit care book, and we had no internet at the time, so I didn't know how to care for rabbits and they died. My mom thought all rabbits ate were carrots and lettuce, and I did too. I'm pretty sure Circle's death was my fault, but again I was 9 and she was my first non-insect pet. My mom wasn't used to pets so she wouldn't allow Circle in the house. We had to keep her in a bird cage outside (on the ground in the patio), and when the rain came, my mom had just arrived from work. She remembered Circle but decided to go in to get dressed first. When she finally got dressed she forgot about her and in the morning she was dead.

About the site, I looked at it, and first of all, my rabbit's fur is brown. That does not stand out, like white or black and white. Domestic rabbits and wild rabbits can't have babies, so that's not a problem. And there are no other domesticated rabbits in our neighborhood, or I would've seen them. As for the environment, there are only "bush rabbits," so Brownie is still safe so far according to this list. And as for adjusting, Brownie was with a baby/teen Cottontail. They were together for a couple days, and I think she could've learned some survival skills from that bunny, because she's really intelligent. She went off with it and disappeared for about 3 days. And I don't think she contributes to any of the "killing off wildlife" thing, as she eats and drinks from her food/water bowls most of the time.

I've deleted a ton of posts from this thread, there was an awful lot of inappropriate responses, name calling and personal attacks here. :(

I understand people being upset because they believe Brownie is in danger, and they are probably right, but from what I saw in this thread, Circle was listening to the advise and considering all options.

To continue berating her and calling her a troll is not at all acceptable.

She's an open and honest young girl. She is willing to learn, and that doesn't mean she has to accept all the advice offered. Her rabbit, her choice. Please accept that.

The forum should work with her on ways that will keep her rabbit as safe as possible with consideration to the restrictions and concerns that Circle has expressed.

Rabbits can be very happy outside and they can be happy inside.

Brownie is coming to Circle because of companionship, not just food, they are extremely social and need to have friends, the species isn't as important (although Circle may find herself ditched if Brownie doesn't think she's getting enough attention, and that means a LOT of attention).

Rabbits are comfortable when they are able to act on their instincts, and their first choice would probably be what their ancestors have always been used to -- a warren, burrows, overhead cover, traction and a wide variety of food sources.

The natural instinct is to live on diggable dirt with lots of vegetation in easy reach. That's outside.

Linoleum and corroplast is scary, they can't dig or escape from predators.

They also really like overhead cover like hedges or overturned swings.

What breed is Brownie? Some dig more than others.

However, while rabbits may be more comfortable outside, they don't know that's where all the predators are, so there has to be some give and take here.

If you have a rabbit, even if you didn't have a lot of predators around, the rabbit will attract them.

Birds of prey can see a rabbit from a mile away.

Whether Brownie has the instincts to get away from birds is iffy. Some do, some don't. Some rabbits will take shelter in a rabbit hole or under a cover, some will just sit there.

I'll be responding to a post next about raccoons breaking into a 'Fort Knox' chicken coop. It's hard to make a secure hutch or enclosure. But rabbits in a hutch are actually more at risk than those running free in the yard. The rabbits can and will run and get out of reach from four-legged predators, but a rabbit in a hutch is an invitation to dinner and a determined predator can break screens and pull open doors and terrify the rabbit to death even if unsuccessful. The rabbits instincts are to run and hide. Locked in a hutch while being hunted is instinctively beyond horrible.

I will direct you to all sorts of outdoor designs, and you can probably work something out where she'll be reasonably safe, but whether it's more safe that she can keep herself as a free run rabbit I honestly don't know. The best thing would be to secure the fence, put wire on the ground and a net over the whole yard. But that's unlikely to be feasible. You have to see what you have to work with -- maybe a big corner of the yard, more fencing, netting, man-made tunnels, boxes and a a shed or dog house.

It will never be as safe as keeping her in the house.

I'd build a really sweet set-up for her in the basement, you can make it really interesting for her. How long has she been outside? They can be litter trained, not so much when they're young and not spayed, but you can make it less messy.

I agree with establishing trust and not picking her up, but she will probably get used to it and forgive you. But you can also have and outdoor play area in the day time and bring her in before dusk by putting her food and treats in a carrier and transporting her in it daily.

There are all sorts of solutions, but they will have to be tailored to Brownie's wants and your needs.

Meanwhile, check out the 'Design Criteria' page of the Rabbitats thread, it should give you some ideas about outdoor housing.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=66709&forum_id=7

I'll find links on indoor housing as well.

sas

I would just like to say that I reconsidered posting after I had already hit submit. I know that I've made plenty of mistakes with my bunnies, and I wouldn't want to be the subject of three pages of criticism. I'm sorry that I added to it, Circle, but I still think there are some valid points to consider about not letting her run around the neighborhood. I would really hate for Brownie to become a living then dead toy of a neighborhood dog or cat. Even if there are no possible other predators, neighborhood pets could seriously hurt or kill her. That is the only reason I submitted in the first place, because I know how much she means to you.

She is your bunny, and ultimately you are responsible for her care. It is your choice how to care for her & it doesn't really matter what we say. Please make sure she is as safe and happy as possible.

here's my 2 cents. I think it's great that circle has come on to is forum to learn more abut taking care of rabbits. And it's unfair that every one is jumping on her for mistakes she has made. Maybe she doesn't know these things yet? However some of the things you have listed are quite irresponsible.
1. Please spay your rabbit. It will improve her mood/ behavior and lessen her chance of developing cancer. And prolong her life.
2 as for taking your rabbit outside please don't just let it out. Even if a rabbit sees a predator it can die of shock. And outside without supervision has lots of hazards. (poisonous plants, cats, dogs, snakes) all of that! I know I my bunny enjoys being outside so in my backyard i have set up a weighted mosquito netting text so nothing can get in and bunny cant get out. But bunny can still see out and smell and nibble on grass. Then I have a lawn chair in their so I sit in ere with here and supervise.

Pipp wrote:

Brownie is coming to Circle because of companionship, not just food

Rabbits are comfortable when they are able to act on their instincts, and their first choice would probably be...a warren, burrows, overhead cover, traction and a wide variety of food sources.

The natural instinct is to live on diggable dirt with lots of vegetation in easy reach. That's outside.

However, while rabbits may be more comfortable outside, they don't know that's where all the predators are, so there has to be some give and take here.

If you have a rabbit, even if you didn't have a lot of predators around, the rabbit will attract them.

But rabbits in a hutch are actually more at risk than those running free in the yard. Locked in a hutch while being hunted is instinctively beyond horrible.

Thanks for that new fresh perspective. :) I know everyone's just worried about Brownie's welfare, but at this point I think the best thing for Brownie will just be to let her stay the way she is. I feel she's living life to the fullest now, and she just carries a new air of content I hadn't seen before. I wouldn't want to take that away from her.

Dustiechick wrote:
1. Please spay your rabbit. It will improve her mood/ behavior and lessen her chance of developing cancer. And prolong her life.

I'm sorry, but this isn't an option with my mom. She doesn't think rabbits should have vets.

I would like to apologise for anything offensive I have written to Circle. I realise it was out of line, I just find it all extremely similar to the case of Buttercup, Skittles and Thumper (Almost eerily so) and I'm still upset over the condition they were in when they came to us, particularily Thumper, who was so banged up and beaten down we didn't hardly know what to do with her, but she was still a sweet, loving rabbit. I would just hate to see the situation repeat itself with another bun. It is, quite honestly, very upsetting to me. I rescued another bunny named Oreo who used to dodge in out of traffic and when we confronted the family on the issue, nothing was done until we flat out asked if we could have the rabbit. There are just so many factors to rabbits roaming the neighbourhood.

However, I do want to apologise to Circle for any personal offense I have caused.

I was just wondering, have you checked into the laws in your area? Because I know that released domestic animals is against the law (Which you have done with your sister's rabbit and, technically, with Brownie). I'm just curious, although I doubt anything legal would happen, I'm honestly only curious.

I'm just confused as to why you can't just keep her in the yard. There is plenty of stimulation and space and there, and it eliminates so many threats without taking much away from her.

Well, honestly I don't know about any laws in Wisconsin concerning pet rabbit welfare. I do know how Wisconsin is quite lenient with owning tigers and whatever other pets you want in some areas, so I'm not sure if they do.

She enjoys the yard and more, and that's what I want for her.

Pipp wrote:
I've deleted a ton of posts from this thread, there was an awful lot of inappropriate responses, name calling and personal attacks here. :(

I understand people being upset because they believe Brownie is in danger, and they are probably right, but from what I saw in this thread, Circle was listening to the advise and considering all options.

To continue berating her and calling her a troll is not at all acceptable.

She's an open and honest young girl. She is willing to learn, and that doesn't mean she has to accept all the advice offered. Her rabbit, her choice. Please accept that.

The forum should work with her on ways that will keep her rabbit as safe as possible with consideration to the restrictions and concerns that Circle has expressed.

Brownie is coming to Circle because of companionship, not just food, they are extremely social and need to have friends, the species isn't as important (although Circle may find herself ditched if Brownie doesn't think she's getting enough attention, and that means a LOT of attention).

Rabbits are comfortable when they are able to act on their instincts, and their first choice would probably be what their ancestors have always been used to -- a warren, burrows, overhead cover, traction and a wide variety of food sources.

Linoleum and corroplast is scary, they can't dig or escape from predators.

What breed is Brownie? Some dig more than others.

Whether Brownie has the instincts to get away from birds is iffy. Some do, some don't. Some rabbits will take shelter in a rabbit hole or under a cover, some will just sit there.

I'll be responding to a post next about raccoons breaking into a 'Fort Knox' chicken coop. It's hard to make a secure hutch or enclosure. But rabbits in a hutch are actually more at risk than those running free in the yard. The rabbits can and will run and get out of reach from four-legged predators, but a rabbit in a hutch is an invitation to dinner and a determined predator can break screens and pull open doors and terrify the rabbit to death even if unsuccessful. The rabbits instincts are to run and hide. Locked in a hutch while being hunted is instinctively beyond horrible.

I will direct you to all sorts of outdoor designs, and you can probably work something out where she'll be reasonably safe, but whether it's more safe that she can keep herself as a free run rabbit I honestly don't know. The best thing would be to secure the fence, put wire on the ground and a net over the whole yard. But that's unlikely to be feasible. You have to see what you have to work with -- maybe a big corner of the yard, more fencing, netting, man-made tunnels, boxes and a a shed or dog house.

I'd build a really sweet set-up for her in the basement, you can make it really interesting for her. How long has she been outside? They can be litter trained, not so much when they're young and not spayed, but you can make it less messy.

I agree with establishing trust and not picking her up, but she will probably get used to it and forgive you. But you can also have and outdoor play area in the day time and bring her in before dusk by putting her food and treats in a carrier and transporting her in it daily.

There are all sorts of solutions, but they will have to be tailored to Brownie's wants and your needs.

Meanwhile, check out the 'Design Criteria' page of the Rabbitats thread, it should give you some ideas about outdoor housing.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=66709&forum_id=7

I'll find links on indoor housing as well.

sas

I :heartbeat: this post!

:bunnyheart

I read some more and go to thinking. I think a little run in shed/house like in the topic posted in the quote would be great! Maybe with her bowls and some Aspen shavings or hay.

She'll be fine outside, guys. I know you're all worried, but I've thought of all the options, and I know know know you guys think this isn't right, but I also know my rabbit.

She's happiest outdoors and has always been the aggressive, fiery, love-adventures type of rabbit. A hutch can't give her that, and neither can toys in my house. I've tried all sorts of toys for her, but she never touches them other than an initial investigation. She is most likely to attack a cord in my basement, clawing at it and treating it like ... I guess another rabbit or human hand? lol I don't know, she's adorable, and when she's playing with it, she seriously looks like she's really imagining in her head that it's another live animal.

My rabbit's always been the daredevil kind. That's why I think our bond's grown closer now. Before, it was like, "Well, you're always coming to ME and I have no choice in the matter," but now it's more like "I can come to YOU now IF I want to, so I will." My rabbit is a rebel, and that's why I've hesitated so much to your suggestions of keeping her in a hutch outside.

You really need to understand her personality above all else. When other rabbits are content playing with jingling keys and climbing on cardboard, my rabbit is rushing around full-speed in the basement and attacking things like she's training for a boxing match or something! She will literally sneak up on an object (preferably higher above the ground so she'll have to stand on her hind legs or jump), and then when she gets closer, she'll lunge at it, scratch and bite it, jump away quickly, pretend to dodge blows, run away, hide for a few moments, then repeat it over and over. She can do this for like, 30 minutes straight.

She is a free spirit who isn't meant to be cooped up. Haven't you ever met people like that? They do things that are potentially dangerous but they do it anyway because they love to. My rabbit lives for danger-- it's in her DNA.

I don't want anything to happen to her, but I'm saying here she lives off of thrills and excitement. How can anyone take a rabbit like that and stick it in a hutch? Especially when she doesn't like playing with toys that could fit in a hutch?

Pipp - thanks for getting in there. The thread was getting kinda nasty, even i was getting kinda angry x_X Your right at the end of the day it's her rabbit and her responsibility but i guess i felt like if i didn't try to help... well theres just so many possibilities.

circle -

Personally, i don't believe in hutches either.. but i do believe in a secure area.

One of my rabbits too is a rebel, racing around like a stampede, attacking everything. One time he jumped so high that when he landed on the ground, he broke his nail and bled alllll over. He even will jump off walls and our dvds, and make a big mess, it's very amusing. He's not into toys, but serious on cardboard. He's mean if he doesn't know you, scratches, growls, even bats his hands at strangers. He's ultra fast and clever, and he has lived 'at large' with previous owners. But never, ever could i think he'd survive on his own outside my yard. (i don't have a yard but if i did)

Because he ran at large for so long, he has scars, and he was even attacked by a snake, they found a tooth in his ear where he was bit. I've no idea how he even survived. He also bred with another rabbit, making problems worse... by that i mean, theres a lot of stray pets out there without a home, and it's important these things are under control for the community, especially when we're talking about big predators like coyotes and bobcats, bears and the like.. Wouldn't want to see one of them outside your window snooping for a freebe.

but it wasn't until someone caught him and brought him to the vet that he finally got some care, and then he was donatedto the humane society to find a special home for him.. where i adopted him. He went through 3 homes in under 6 months because he's such a handfull.

personally i think bunnies like that need the Most protection cause they're dare devils, they'll take more risks, and be in danger even worse. My rabbit took on a snake, but why should he ever have to do that? I'm glad you see we all just care for your rabbit but your rabbit is running 'at large' when it leaves your yard. We've all told you what 'could' happen to your rabbit, injury or worse. One more thing i'd like to add to that 'could' happen list is that someone in the neighborhood can pick up your rabbit and decide it's theirs.

I can assure you that there are no snakes in my neighborhood. If there were, I would never go outside, because I, myself, am terrified of them!

When it comes to her personality, I believe she's happier out there facing dangers. I know that kind of personality, sort of a masochist, because often times, I love getting into trouble for that rush I'd feel. I know that's how my rabbit feels. And if something does (I pray it doesn't!) get her, accidents do happen like that all around us. A girl walking to her bus stop could easily be kidnapped and killed. If an accident will happen, you can't stop it. She could just as easily drop dead in my house for eating some piece of metal on the carpet.

If it's what makes Brownie the happiest and have the most fulfilling life she could have, then I'll be happy to support her in that. I know she's intelligent and can make her own choices in the neighborhood. She's been out there long enough now (2 weeks) that I know she can pretty much take care of herself. And I know 2 weeks isn't that-that long, but if she was going to be hunted down, she would already be dead.

And as for pet thieves, my rabbit is deathly afraid of strangers. And keep in mind that even I can't pick her up, so I doubt she would EVER let anyone else pick her up.

Back