My 2 rabbits are getting spayed this morning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetegocalderon

Reaction score
I have 2 female rabbits that never getalong. Today they are both getting spayed. I can gopick them up after work...my question is, do you think they will beable to get along better now? also, what can i do for them tomake them more comfortable when they get home? How long willit take for them to heal? I'm so nervous for them.Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Just my personal advice... but I wouldn't startbonding until a good 4-6 weeks have passed. You babies areundergoing very invasive surgery today, so their bodies will need timeto heal "fully". Also by allowing them time to heal it willalso give time for their hormones to dissipate, which takesweeks.

You can however, do something to aid in the bonding process... if theircages are not already side by side (with a gap between to preventbiting/clawing) than put them side by side now. Allow them to"view" and get aquainted with each other's scent, and movements.

Female bonds can be very tricky. I was in the samepredicament as you... two female bunnies to spay and bond.However, I seperated them at 12 weeks to seperate rooms... badmove. it made the process a lot moretimely. I had one girl who loved the other, and onewho hated the other. So there was a lot offighting. Eventually I did get them bonded. It tooka good year and three seperate attempt time periods. However,they had a huge fight one day (after I had "almost" bonded in a malewith them) and they were never able to be friends again.

So take your time... give them time... breath deep when you do startbonding. Patience and the basic tips are about all you'llneed.

Sandra

P.S. if you're interested my website is:http://members.porchlight.ca/pinery21/

I have a few bonding links as well as an article from my own experience.

I had 6 of my does getting spayed at the sametime. I had "hospital" rooms all over my house. Iput them in quiet places where they could rest and not be bothered bythe other buns. I also gave them soft towels to layon. They may not want to eat for a day or so, but they willprobably drink water. They seemed to recover veryfast. All of my bunnies have been together since they wereborn (2 sisters had litters on the same day and used the samenest!) They all get along very well, so I don't have bondingissues.

it takes a full 6 weeks after a spay orneuterfor a rabbit to lose all of their hormones. also keepin mind that if they had a fight right after their spay, before theyhad chances to heal.. they could bothdo major damage to eachother. i recommend side by side cages for 6 weeks and then let themhave sessions in neutral territory, but do not let them fight becauserabbits do hold grduges.

please read thispage on bonding buns, its a slow and careful process:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-4/tough-bonding.html

Oops, didn't see this earlier.

Really make sure they send you home with some pain meds (usuallyMedicam). A lot of bunnies in pain don't eat ordrink. Mine didn't get the meds and went 22 hours withouteating or drinking -- they had said if she went 24, take her toemergency -- and just when I went to get ready to go, shefinally started nibbling on something. Still mad that theydidn't give me the meds to take home. (It was a weekend,couldn't go back).

SAS

Hi SAS..I had a female spayed by a doctorrecommended by house rabbit. Babette was about 6 months old.The vet did an excellent job as Babette ate, pooped and peed within anhour after coming home. I have really heard horror storiesabout spaying both before and after I've been on this site.; I thinkits really a difficult surgery. ..if I was to have a female spayed nowI would go somewhere that used laser surgery as I've had 2 males donewith lasers. I don't know why it was so easy with Babette but I don'tthink that she appeared to be in pain at all.

Latest posts

Back