Mustard Greens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what mustard greens are,but they are on the safe list,so it's ok to give this to your bunny

cheryl

They are good in moderation, but they are high in calcium which can cause urinary issues.

I had to quit feeding them to my girls because Snuggy is prone to urinary tract infections.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
They are good in moderation, but they are high in calciumwhich can cause urinary issues.

I had to quit feeding them to my girls because Snuggy is prone to urinary tract infections.
ill just eat them myself then hehe

i got her the green leafy lettuce, is that supposed to be in moderation or is that ok?

Snuggys Mom wrote:
I had to quit feeding them to my girls because Snuggy isprone to urinary tract infections.
Same here Laura,i've had to go through the veggie list and eliminatethe high calcium one's from Lulu's diet,she also suffers with urinarytract infections

cheryl

I wouldn't give too many different types ofveggies right away. Try one at a time to see if there's anystomach upset (soft poops).

The dark, leafy lettuces are good to start with. I wouldn'tgive more than a cup or soper day until he gets used tothem. He probably didn't get much fresh stuff with his firstowner. :(

I bought Curly mustard greens in a bag andthought it was kale so I gave it one night without knowing. They ate itand seemed to like it. The next night I realized that I had made amistake and did find it on the safe list...then I tasted it raw myselfto see what I was giving them and it really burned my mouth andesophagus . I can't believe that bunnies can tolerate such hot stuffwhen they are so fragile!

angieluv wrote:
I bought Curly mustard greens in a bag and thought it waskale so I gave it one night without knowing. They ate it and seemed tolike it. The next night I realized that I had made a mistake and didfind it on the safe list...then I tasted it raw myself to see what Iwas giving them and it really burned my mouth and esophagus . I can'tbelieve that bunnies can tolerate such hot stuff when they are sofragile!
I tasted it too, you re right it burns but it reminds me of cabbage andill bet its really yummy cooked. Jasper went absolutely CRAZYfor it. he also likes the leafy lettuce, carrots, anddandelion (i had already given him a teeny bit).

he wont touch brocolli tho.

my buns get curly mustard greens about onceevery 2 weeks for a few days at a time (it is a secondary veggie forthem, so they don't get a lot at once).

they LOVE it. . . but then again they love most greens.

the only green i have found that they hated was i tried brussel sprouts(they each got 1/2 of 1 sprout). . .herman gobbled it right up (likethe true pig he is), but winnie took a bite, chewed, stopped, looked atme, then hopped away. . .she won't even go near them! funny girl!

i think that mustard greens are suppose to be cooked like southerncollard greens. . . that would remove their burning effect. . .

Mustard greens are a brighter greenhere. Collards are more ugly, a dull green, not much textureon the leaves. Maybe that could help some distinguish?

I was watching Tyra one day. They were talking about greensand Tyra said that the Mustards are kinda hot, more so than sayCollards, it is strange that bunnies like them.

Latest posts

Back