Mushy Poos in my 8 week old kit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

**SRonchi1

Shaan Ronchi
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just signed up with this site and wanted to know some of your valuable knowledge on baby buns. I have 2 8weeks old mini lops from the same litter. I am introducing vegies & the little buck is fine with the vegies so far where as my little doe keeps on getting soft mushy poos aswell as round normal poos. When they were with their mum they started eating a variety of her greens from 4weeks onwards, the little doe was fine most of the time but would end up with mushy poo around her bum other times, The little buck never had a problem! Who has experienced this same thing? Im worried as their mother recently passed away from what was suspected as bloat (from autopsy) from to much fresh grass. The little doe is the same colour as her mum & the little buck is the same as his dad. Their dad has never had a digestion problem & poos always normal where as the mother has had mushy poos at times so could it be a default in the mothers side hence the little doe having a problem?

Some rabbits are just more sensitive to certain foods than other rabbits. What type of diet do you have her on, other than the veggies: variety and amount of pellets, variety and amount of hay, any sugary starchy treats? When the diet is causing mushy poop, it can be from too little fiber in the diet, veggies introduced too quickly or an intolerance for certain ones, too many sugars and carbs in the diet, and medications disrupting the rabbits normal gut flora. 8 weeks old can be a little young to be introducing veggies, and if they were introduced too quickly that can cause problems too. If baby rabbits grow up on veggies, are used to them and tolerate them well, then it's usually ok to continue feeding them. But most often it's better to wait til a rabbit is 12 weeks to 6 months old before introducing veggies, as it gives their digestive system time to develop more so it is better able to handle them. And it's best to introduce any new veggies into the diet one at a time and in small amounts then gradually increasing over several days to weeks, giving the rabbits gut flora time to adjust to the new food. Introducing one at a time makes it easier to know whether or not a particular veggie is causing a problem so that you can stop feeding it. Suddenly introducing veggies in large amounts can be enough to cause digestive upset.

But for now it would probably be best to stop the veggies and only feed hay and pellets. If the soft poop doesn't clear up then the soft poop may be related to something else like the pellets, or possibly parasites- in which case a fecal test is needed. It might be a good idea to just get a fecal test done to rule out parasites for sure, but if at any time your rabbits behavior and/or condition changes, you should get her to a vet.

These links help explain cecal dysbiosis, which is the what the soft mushy cecotropes is called.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=3012
http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/chronic_intermittent_diarrhea_in_rabbits.pdf

Last edited:
She gets unlimited hay & pellets & her poo goes back to normal after a day when I eliminate the vegies. I gave her dandelions & that brought on runny poo & she doesnt get treats or fruit yet. I gave her a carrot stick & she only got acouple of soft slightly miss formed poos but the rest were round poo balls. So I guess your right no more veggies for her! I feel bad as she absolutly loves them & my otherbunnies have beautiful shiny healthy coats due to a nice variety of home grown vegetables & greens. Will try her again in a month! Should I give her probiotics to help her sensitive digestive tract?

I agree with you that if she has no problems on hay and pellets then, at least for now, just keep her on that. She shouldn't need probiotics in that case. As she gets a little older her digestive system may mature enough to handle veggies better.

My youngest bun was in the vets four days after I got him with runny poops, just scared of dehydration and he recovered very well but I cut out the veggies and reintroduced when he was older. I´m sure she´ll be fine with pellets and hay and she can start on veggies a little later. He now adores his veggies and has never had a problem with them since.

it's not like you can't give her greens, just give her different greens...such as plain grass or parsley. Dandelions can give runny or mushy poops to buns anyways.

Some rabbits can just have a weaker digestive systems.

Thanks ladysown I hadnt experienced dandelion giving a runny bum before so was abit alarmed when this little kit did. She is just one of those kits that digestive system is sensitive I guess but when you see a runny bum on a baby it gets you worried & I was concerned it may have been a colour genetic thing! Her poo is back to normal now so I can start introducing some edible weeds & grass again & leave the veg for next month.

Latest posts

Back