Munchkin died tonight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummybunny

Reaction score
Our bunny baby died tonight and my heart is breaking.

I noticed late this afternoon that he was sitting funny - like a cat-and when picked up and put back down he would adopt a strange pose and wobble a bit.

Immediately phoned vet and rushed him in - his internal body temperature was 95 point something - so very low. He was also by this point lethargic and a bit dazed. Vet faffed about trying to call expert at vet hospital, so we were there for about an hour with Munchkin wrapped up to keep him warm on my chest. Our vet didn't treat him with anything - I think now he should have but I know he didn't want to compromise any tests/treatments the hospital would do.

Eventually hospital called back - on call rabbit vet was to make way to hospital (1hour from his house) and we got there for8pm. He was admitted and was even more lethargic and floppy.

Hospital called an hour ago to say he'd passed away.

What could have been wrong? What if we'd got him there sooner? Why didn't vet do something sooner? My head is killing me from crying and poor Miffy is lost, wondering what is wrong with us. She lost Fudge and now her wee boy Munchkin.

Words cannot express how sorry I am for you.:tears2: Sorry too, that I cannot help in answering your questions,but I'm sure there wasn'tanything you could do, if the vet didn't know how could you know? Please don't feel guilty.

At least Munchkin is now at peace at rainbow bridge,:rainbow:

Binky free baby Munchkin:bunnyangel:

My thoughts and prayers are with you through this terrible time:pray:

Oh no, not Munchkin!

This is like the loss of an old friend -:cry4:- but I'll post my thoughts in the RB thread.

For the question at hand, it really sounds like it wasn't avoidable,most likely an internal organ failure. It's so sad that these little guys can have those problems at thatage. He was almost six, wasn't he? Itdoesn't seem old, but it seem to be a difficult age forso many.

I'm so sorry MummyBunny. :cry1:

sas :cry2

Oh no! i'm so very sorry :(,poor..poor Miffy,after what she has gone through herself,she has now lost her friend :(

I 'm really,really sorry,sometimes life just isn't fair!

:hug2:many hugs

Binky free Munchkin :rainbow:

cheryl:pink iris:

I am so sorry for your loss. I would question the vet, how could this happen, see what he/she says, at least that may help w/ a little closure. I would want any answer I could get, I'm sure you do too. Just a thought.

Your RO friends are here for you in your time of need. :grouphug

Again, I am so sorry. Peace and prayers for you and your family. :cry4:

Binkie free Munchkin! :rainbow:

:bigtears::rip::pink iris:IM so so very sorry for your loss, please know that the bunnies and I are thinking of you at this verysad time:sosad:rainbow:

LOVE,nudges and grooms

Molly, Princess and Luna

Sometimes problems come on so suddenly that their is nothing that can be done. Please don't blame yourself..there just wasn't time to find out what the problem was. It might be helpful if you had a necropsy performed as then you would be able most likely to find out what went wrong. I am so very sorry for your little Munchkin:bigtears::no::no::hug:

Thank yo so much everyone, your support and best wishes mean so much.

We collected him from the vet hospital this morning - I haven't looked at him yet, but I will. They don't know what was wrong, and we refused an autopsy as I'd rather he was left alone. I guess we'll never know for sure. The 'what if's' are terrible though - what if I never wen tout in the morning, what if I never had a nap in the afternoon, what if the bunnies had been downstairs where we could see them better (we've let them be upstairs since Christmas as they love it so). I know it doesn't help but...

All I want to do is sleep so I don't cry - just woke up after sleeping for 3 hours and I'm crying again. The grief comes in huge waves and it hurts so much. I cannot believe he's gone - my baby boy, my bunny bright eyes, my totty wee.

We're taking him to be buried at the same pet cemetery where we buried our first wee boy Fudge. We're doing this tomorrow as the lady who runs it cannot make it today. So, he's home till then. The cemetery is in the countryside, as part of their farm - it really is beautiful.

As for Miffy - loads of kisses and cuddles. She's looking for him now -he always sat behind the sofa bed as he was small enough to fit. She is trying to get in there now. I wish you could explain to the ones who are left...

:(

I'm so sorry.

....binkie free little one!

:pray::rainbow::jumpingbunny:

~Jim

:(Miffy might understand if she got a chance to see him and say goodbye.

I'm so sorry. I agree with Pipp- I know you're questioning yourself a lot now but from the sound of it there was probably nothing you could have done.

Jim had a good idea- try letting Miffy see him. Then she'll know not to look for himself.

Binky free Munchkin. And hugs to you and your family.

:pink iris:

Oh, no, I'm so very sorry about Munchkin.

:bigtears:

My heart goes out to you and Miffy. You've both been through so much this year.

JimD wrote:
Miffy might understand if she got a chance to see him and say goodbye.
I found this on the HRS website:

Should one of the bonded pair die, be sure to let the survivor sit with the body for awhile. Some rabbits need longer than others, but a half hour to an hour should be sufficient for most. This allows the survivor to know that death took his/her friend, and they haven't just been abandoned.
Different rabbits will do different things as they say goodbye to their friend. Some clean their pal one last time, some just stretch out next to their pal and rest for a time, some dance circles around their pal's body (they must know something about death that we humans haven't learned yet!). Whatever your rabbit does, you will be able to tell when they are done saying goodbye.

After the death of one member of a pair, give the survivor a few weeks before introducing a new friend.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
JimD wrote:
Miffy might understand if she got a chance to see him and say goodbye.
I found this on the HRS website:

Should one of the bonded pair die, be sure to let the survivor sit with the body for awhile. Some rabbits need longer than others, but a half hour to an hour should be sufficient for most. This allows the survivor to know that death took his/her friend, and they haven't just been abandoned.
Different rabbits will do different things as they say goodbye to their friend. Some clean their pal one last time, some just stretch out next to their pal and rest for a time, some dance circles around their pal's body (they must know something about death that we humans haven't learned yet!). Whatever your rabbit does, you will be able to tell when they are done saying goodbye.

After the death of one member of a pair, give the survivor a few weeks before introducing a new friend.
.....now I'm crying

I don't want to offend you in anyway in your grief but I want to describe what I did when my Joey lost his pal Jacques last summer to cancer. I placed the body of jacques in Joey's area and left it there for about 3-4 hrs. At times Joey tried to groom the body , would leave and them return. I then took a stuffed rabbit about the size of Jacques and rubbed the body on the toy covering it with Jacques scent. Joey still has his stuffed toy and he never went into a big depression or got sick after Jacques death. One friend of mine said that she could not make herself do that but it is very important for a rabbit to know that his bonded friend is not coming back. On some level they recognize death. I hope that you can get through this for Miffy. hang in there as we are all here for you:hug:

We took Munchkin out of his box and laid him on the rug, Miffy hopped up to him and went around him, smelling him. She chinned his ears and tail.

We left him out for an hour and have wrapped him back up and put him back in the box. I think she knows now. She kept looking at him and then frantically digging in her fleecy cover in her basket. My poor wee girl...

It helped us to see him. I cuddled him and cried over him and told him how much we love him and how precious he was, and thanked him for being in our lives. It kind of helped a bit.

Tomorrow will be hard, but no harder than already. Thanks again for all your support. I wish we could keep them forever - it's never long enough...

Back