Mummy that doesn't want to be ☹️

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne Armstrong

Reaction score
I have a doe, aged 2. She keeps chewing her way out the hutch and getting caught by my buck. This is 3 times now and the first time her litter passed away within the week, the second time she ate them all. Today she has had one bun (born alive and perfect) made a magnificent nest but has ignored it's squeals for milk. What can I do? I have come to the conclusion Charlotte is not cut out to be a mummy. I don't want to get her 'done' as past buns after being 'done' have ended up agressive. I keep her separate from the bucks but she persists in chewing her way out to them. I even tried mesh around the hutch but she's is a persistent little lady. Please give advice. There is no option to re-home any of my buns as 2 are babies from my gorgeous Stevie who's passed away, another we have had for 5 years, and our newest edition is my mum's that I'm looking after til she moves home A828DEF4-1A02-417D-8464-46306A99E8AD.jpegCharlotte is the brown one

If she hasn't fed it in the first 24-36 hours since birth, if you can carefully hold her on your lap and have someone bring the baby up under her belly to nurse, that is the best way. You do have to be careful that the baby is held gently but securely, as well as the mom, so no bunny gets hurt. I would also have some padding on the floor under just in case.

If mom doesn't have any milk coming in and the baby isn't getting anything from her, hand feeding the baby may be needed. But this is a last resort as hand feeding carries a high risk of aspiration occurring, which would be fatal.

https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm
As for Charlotte and her clever escape abilities, try heavy gauge steel mesh.

Latest posts

Back