Mum of 2 Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosb2009

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
My name is Rosalyn and I have 2 Bunnies. One a male Lionhead, and the other a female Havana. So adorable!! They both enjoy different treats and both enjoyed romaine and dill, as well as parsley. I’ve had to stop giving my male bunny greens about a month ago as he was having wet poop issues and lots of Cecotropes. I was also giving both of them a treat twice a week of dehydrated strawberry but had to stop that too! Now it’s just their typical amount of pellets and lots of hay. They get 2 treats a day which are Oxbow Timothy hay made treats with flavouring in them.
it’s so hard to give some fresh greens to my female bunny and not to my male bunny.
Those little faces that come up to you and periscope for just melts my heart!

Attachments

• A81D1829-965F-4163-8ACD-BE15E13312DE.jpeg
    A81D1829-965F-4163-8ACD-BE15E13312DE.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to the forum! Cute bunnies! How old are they?

Some rabbits don't do well with certain greens. It would be more rare for a rabbit to not tolerate any greens. You may be able to play detective and figure out which greens will work for your boy. Follow the method for introducing greens described here to safely find out what he may tolerate.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Welcome to the forum! Cute bunnies! How old are they?

Some rabbits don't do well with certain greens. It would be more rare for a rabbit to not tolerate any greens. You may be able to play detective and figure out which greens will work for your boy. Follow the method for introducing greens described here to safely find out what he may tolerate.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
My bunnies are a little over 2 years old. When I first got them at 10 months old, I introduced them to romaine and they seemed fine as well as cranberries and bunny treats. Then all of a sudden my mail bunny was leaving sludgy poops in the pen floor. I stopped with the greens and the other treats. Took him about 2 weeks to stop producing those sludgy poops. He was fine after that. Then I offered them both parsley, but he was doing the same thing again. Better he doesn’t have greens. Also, I only give them Oxbow treats now.

^ That's too little of a "trial" to know what he can and cannot tolerate. Some rabbits need more time than others for the enzymes in their gut to adjust to greens. For a fella like your male, I'd introduce a pea-size amount of cilantro. That's all for one day (that's all for greens, I mean). If poos don't change, then do the same amount the next day, checking for poo changes. Do that for several days, continuing as long as his poos remain good. After several days, increase the amount to 2 peas in size of that cilantro. The key here is to be offering very small amounts. If you offered more than just a tiny bit before, that is likely the issue.

That is how to introduce greens to a guy like your rabbit. By consistently giving small amounts, it allows his gut to adjust and develop the needed enzymes for proper digestion. Gradually the amount can be increased. After that, a different type of green can be tried. Or, if the cilantro doesn't work in those small amounts, then wait a bit and try the same small amount of some other green.

^ That's too little of a "trial" to know what he can and cannot tolerate. Some rabbits need more time than others for the enzymes in their gut to adjust to greens. For a fella like your male, I'd introduce a pea-size amount of cilantro. That's all for one day (that's all for greens, I mean). If poos don't change, then do the same amount the next day, checking for poo changes. Do that for several days, continuing as long as his poos remain good. After several days, increase the amount to 2 peas in size of that cilantro. The key here is to be offering very small amounts. If you offered more than just a tiny bit before, that is likely the issue.

That is how to introduce greens to a guy like your rabbit. By consistently giving small amounts, it allows his gut to adjust and develop the needed enzymes for proper digestion. Gradually the amount can be increased. After that, a different type of green can be tried. Or, if the cilantro doesn't work in those small amounts, then wait a bit and try the same small amount of some other green.
Thank you ever so much!! That all makes perfect sense!!! I have some fresh parsley on hand at the moment. I could try offering him a little pea size of that and then see how he is the next day?

Yes, that's correct. If his poos haven't started to get mushy, then he can have the same green again-- same small amount. Ever so gradually increase as long as poos remain unchanged.

Yes, that's correct. If his poos haven't started to get mushy, then he can have the same green again-- same small amount. Ever so gradually increase as long as poos remain unchanged.
Thank you so much!! 😊

Latest posts

Back