Moving

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quyntarious

Reaction score
Contrary to the title, I am not moving, but Mufasa is. I just can't handle keeping up with him and my classes or afford him any longer. So after my mother volunteered to take him, my first thought was of Amanda (My ex with whom I got Mufasa.) who still comes by to see him. My mother lives 2.5 hours away and Amanda and my mother never really got along. So rather than rob her of the joys of having Mufasa, I decided to offer him to her before allowing my mother to care for him. (Back story about mufasa can be found here: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=18368&forum_id=1 )

To be honest, Amanda did take really good care of him, and when she visits he is THRILLED to see her. So I know this will be a good move, but now there are a few new problems. 1. New Location. We both know to leave him in his cage for 24 hours to adjust to the new surroundings. 2. Amanda has 2 Dogs. So introducing them will also be somewhat of an issue, but my guess is that he will have to adapt because he will be on their territory now. So what are some suggestions you would have to ease this situation. I am staring at him now thinking...his world is about to be ROCKED.

The fact that he will be with a familiar human will be reassuring to him. Getting used to the dogs may be difficult, but not impossible. With a lot of re-assurance and attention, he should do fine. Now you on the other hand, are really going to miss him... :(

I know, it' s going to be really hard getting used to life without him. The last few days have been really hard because he's been extra affectionate with me. Every moring I wake up to him nuzzling my hand. Life is going to be different with out him, that's for sure.

You are doing what is best for him and that is a real sacrifice on your part. And that is admirable.He won't know what you've done, or why you did it, but you will. (And you know where he is andthe person caring for him.That's better than most!)

:hug2: You should behappy that you put his needs first. Too many people forget that part of having companion animals. Bless you for thinking of his concerns first.

I know, I am having a real problem with that. He's not going to know why I did it and it's so hard to let him know that I did what I did out of love. I want him to know that I care about him and that I am not abandoning him but allowing him to be happier (and hopefully less lonely.) I am so scared that he's lonely, I am hoping that he makes good friends with the two dogs. Lucy and Lola are, despite being spaz's, good dogs who would probably get along very well with a rabbit. I know Lola got along with cats very well.

I'm guessing that if it's handled right, he'll adjust to the dogs pretty well. (And if the dogs are used to cats, they should be fine.) If there are other animals around him, I don't think he'll be lonely. You know they enjoy their quiet time during the day... and I would assume that Amanda will give him binky time when she is home. Rabbits can be pretty adaptable and can adjust well to new environments. Amanda and his cage will be the consistant factors between the two environments. Mufasa is already used to her....

If I can make a suggestion, don't clean his litter box before he goes. Let him go with a litter box that smells like him. That will be another reassuring factor to him. (Well... it SMELLS the same!) Send him with his toys (They LOOK the same...), and treats (TheyTASTE the same...) and ask Amanda not to re-arrange his cage for a few days... no new toys, blankets, etc. And "doggy intros" should be short and sweet for a few days. Mufasa will know the dogs are around anyway.

I know you are going to miss him terribly... can Amanda send you photo's or email updates? I think once you see him settled in and doing well, it will put your mind at ease.

Latest posts

Back