Moving

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalballl

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well my Fiance and I have decided to move. It won't be for afew months, but thought I'd ask now and figure out the best way to goabout this. We've grown out of our place now and need abigger place. We have found something we like but have towait and see if we get it *crosses fingers*

My question is what is the best way to go about moving with mybuns?! What I mean is: Bandit has a large NIC cage I've builthim (which needs to be taken apart in order to get it even out of theroom he is in, it won't fit through the door way hehe)

And Holly has her smaller cage with a pen attached (until we move and Ican make her a large NIC cage aswell until they're bonded). Ihave 2 carriers, one soft sided I could put Holly in for the move and alarger hardCat carrier for Bandit. Moving is veryhectic and I would definately try and get their cages situated as quickas I could.To get them set up.

Any pointers on how I could go about doing this to make it the leaststressful on them and make it as smooth as possible would begreat. I've only moved with my two cats and that was easysticking them in their carrier until we got here and let themout.

Thanks!

Crystal (Bandit & Holly)

well, i can only tell you how i am going to move winnie and herman on the 10th when i move out:

first, i am moving them last. . .i want the house and my bedroom to beas setup as i possibly can before moving them. then they are going tobe put in the x-pen overnight while i take apart their cage and rebuiltit. . .i am going to do that (last time it took me about 4 hours tocomplete their cage. . .) the day after i move their cage i am going topack them up, alone with whatever stuff they have left (the day or 2that they are in just the x-pen they are going to have only the basicstuff. . .food water, litter box, and hay). i am also tacking somesheets up on the walls behind their cage as herman has been known tospray when in a new enviroment. . .

that is basically it. . .i am moving them last, and attempting to haveas much setup for them when they get there. . . i am also going to putthem in the cage and leave them there for a full 24 hours beforeletting them out to roam. . .after that they will get to run in mybedroom only untill i have an idea of how they are adjusting. . .then iwill slowly let them have run of the apartment. . .

Hey - when I moved Misty down to my house, Iprepared her area first - just cleaned it up and got her cage readythen brought her down.

I would just have the area they are going to be in ready to go, andthen bring them down. Let Bandit play and explore while youbuild his cage, and move Holly down in her small cage. Givethem time to explore and settle in and they'll be fine.

They're resilient little things (even though they pretend to need all our attention).

Sounds like a good idea. I will tryand move them last. (If it all goes as planned) And the bunswill have their own bunny room when we move, so that'll be nice.I'll try and get that set up as quick as possible.And stick them in their with their necessities until things settle downand I'll work on them first. Just a little nerve wracking,I'm a terrible mover (lived in the same place for 13 years before here)so I'll do my best.

I'm just worried about having to take apart Bandit's cage and how he'sgonna react to being in a Carrier fora bit. We'renot moving far at all, but it'll take me a bit to get everything thereand then put together his cage for him. Holly I'm sure willbe fine in her carrier for a bit because she's a little more laid backthen Bandit. He's a grumpy Bun. I'm not evenlooking forward to figuring out how I'm getting him IN the carrierhahahaha

Crystal (Bandit & Holly)

I've moved my buns back and forth plenty oftimes. They used to come stay with my parents for little holidays.Parents lived about a 5 hour drive away. I have a large cat carrier anda small portable dog cage. I put the bun in the cat carrier and Kit thehare in the larger dog cage. Kit doesn't cope well with being handled,so I have to lure him into his travel cage. He's become way too savvyand isn't sucked in by my treats anymore, so now I make his travel cagesuper cosy with some food and his litter tray and I cover it with ablanket so it's dark and inviting. By this stage, everything in hisliving cage is either packed or in his travel cage. I just keep puttingpressure on Kit until he settles in the comfy travel cage. I can't pushhim too much or he'll go nuts, so I just give him a poke every time hestarts to settle in his home cage. It's vastly less stressful on him toget him into that travel cage under his own steam than to force him in.He'll actually speak to me that night. He travels with a sheet overmost of his cage so he doesn't get frightened. I usually put him infirst thing, then put him in a quiet corner out of the way while I geteverything else loaded. He goes in last. At the other side, he comesout first and I put him in a quiet corner again until everything is in.Then I set up his cage and let him make his own way into it.

Rabbits are a lot easier. They don't mind being picked up. I did findthat they don't travel as well as Kit does, though. They tend to lookpretty queasy. I've heard that rabbits won't drink when they'retravelling, and I believe it because I've never seen mine do it, so I'dsuggest you pop them juicy treats like carrot or fruit or lettuce nowand then. They definitely eat treats when they travel. :D

I'm going to be moving soon too, and I plan todo basically what I do when I drive home with my bun. I'm going to packup everything I can, then take apart her NIC cage and put her in thecarrier and she'll go in the car last. When I get to the new place,she'll be the first one out and I'll set up her cage before takinganything else out.

Of course, if your new place is near by, you can take just the buns andcages first, then go back for everything else so they'll be situatedwhile you bustle around moving.

Good luck!

That's a good idea Gwhoosh. I'll tryand take their cages and stuff first and put them in theirroom. And then deal with the rest of the moving.Maybe I could try it that route. Thanks for the tips guys!

Latest posts

Back