Moving WITH Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaylaLop

Reaction score
So in 2ish months I'll be moving with a dog and my two rabbits. They will be in the A/C capable cab with us. I know to bring along a first aid kit with pedialyte, simethicone for gas, extra food, hay, water they're used to, supplies, etc.

My main question is how to transport them. They will probably be on the back-seat in a carrier and my dog will be on the other part of the back seat.

I have two small carriers for vet visits, car rides, etc. but feel they should have something larger that they have access to a litterbox and each other in. Should I use a larger plastic kennel type carrier since it has solid sides/top/bottom to keep in the mess, or go for one made for rabbits for air travel? Last time Layla was in a wire cage in the car she tried to chew on the car that she was closest to, which my bf (it's his car) will not tolerate.

I'm kind of thinking of having a medium-large dog carrier for airline travel and have attached food bowls/a water bottle, and put down dog pee pads with a litterbox, towels over the top of the pee pads, and a mini hay rack.

When I've travelled with other small animals I would provide them with carrots and lettuce to keep up their hydration, along with the occasional ice cube and then give water when stopped (every 4ish hours)

What kind of dog do you have and do you have a carrier for him? If I were thinking of buying a kennel/carrier, I would probably get one that could be used for the dog in the future if you don't plan to use it again much for the buns. That way, if ever there is an emergency or something, you can use it again and get good usage out of it.

I have 2 large (but they come in different sizes)air carriers from when I brought my cats over from Montreal. They are expensive when bought newbut goodness those things are well worth the price. They are extremely sturdy. Mine look like this:

http://www.caninecratestore.com/images/Plastic%20Dog%20Crates/DO00300.jpg

You can usually buy things like this for quite cheap in local ads like kijiji. I still use them too. I usethem for my dog, for the cats' vet visits, even for bunny vet visits! Depending on the size of the pet, you can even simply use only the bottom half,throw in a pillow/cushion, and use it as a pet bed too. :)

I would prefer the plastic kind over a wire type thing as I think it would be comfier for the buns. It's provides more shelter and they'll feel less in the open. With them being stressed in the car, they'll probably appreciate the more closed feeling of the plastic carrier. :)You can attach a water bottle to it for them to drink when stopped so you won't have to open the carrierbut I would avoid doing so as you ride as you don't want them sliding into the nozzle if ever there is a jolt.

Good luck on your travels :)

Well I don't know about kijiji but we do have craigslist. I've found a carrier like that for $36 at Walmart. The one I do have for my dog is too large to fit in the backseat and will be getting broken down to put into shipment. I figure for $36 it's not too bad to keep them comfy. Also, if staying in a hotel can just pretend the carrier is for the dog. I'll also have their exercise pen to contain either them or my dog if need be.

I do have two carriers, but I figure since we'll be driving for about 5 days, they should have more room and would probably do best being kept in their bonded pair to avoid more unnecessary stress.

Holy Guacamole, Batman....that's a long drive. Where in fluff's name are you moving to that's a five day drive??

I use a guinea pig cage to move with the Tip, although I just got her a travel carrier because our drives are only 4 hours. I got it for 45 dollars. It can fit a small litter box, a hay rack, a water bottle....and a bunny. But our drives aren't that long.

5 days! Could you rent another vehicle for the trip & one of you drive each? It could be an suv & you could fit it up with a nic pen for the rabbits & keep the dog in your car.

If you choose to put them in a larger cage, make sure it's covered so they don't get stressed by being too exposed. I personally prefer using a carrier because I feel it's safer if you have to stop suddenly or are in an accident. Don't put them in direct sunlight and don't put them directly in front of an air vent either (epecially if you have A/C). Just schedule lots of stops and be prepared that your bunnies may not eat or drink or pee or poop much ALL day until you stop at night.

Hope that helps!

Rue

LakeCondo, as a currently unemployed and recent college graduate I think I need a benefactor to pay for that! If you're offering to hire me a driver for the rabbit-mobile as well I'd gladly take you up on it;) I don't think having a wire set-up in an SUV while in motion would work very well since like Rue said, they might feel too exposed and could get hurt in a stop. I doubt that an exercise pen would stay standing up in motion too and wouldn't want to accidentally smush them or risk breaking something. I'm thinking they'll be in the plastic cargo carrier and when we stop for longer breaks they can have access to the exercise pen.

I've heard of people marking rabbit's ears with a non toxic marker for travel including a phone number in case they get loose and will probably do this just in case.

We'll be taking one SUV and hauling a small trailer. Fragile items will be in the very back of the SUV and the rabbits/dog will be on the back seat so whoever isn't driving can keep an eye on them.

When I went to get Mumford, both rabbits ended up being in the car for about 6 hours straight. Both ate, peed, pooped, and didn't seem too bothered by it. When I stopped for a short visit, they drank offered water readily and were fine until they got home. Layla was trying to hop around and did a flop on her side, so at least she wasn't stressed by the ride. Mumford was in a new situation so he didn't move around much, but he did eat hay and go to the bathroom just fine.

As for the 5 day thing, that's an overestimate depending on how long we drive. With pets we figured it'd be better to stop more often and give them breaks rather than try to drive 3 days straight. We'll basically be going from one side of the continent to the other coast.

Back