Moving with a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie

Reaction score
Hi there,
It's that time of year again... back to school time! (Mixed emotions, hah.)
I'm heading to my final year of University, and am bringing Buster with me! :)

We moved in his cage yesterday, because we had a Uhaul for all my stuff... and his cage would DEFINITELY not fit in a car. He's in an x-pen for the next few days before I officially move in.
I'm just wondering about how to go about moving him. I have a carrier that I'll line with newspaper and put some hay in. It's only an hour away and he's a tough guy so I know it will be okay. :) But once I get there is there anything important that I need to do?
I heard you need to leave them in their cage for 48 hours until they can develop it as a safe place. Is there anything else?
Thanks!

At least with my buns, as long as I am there then they are fine. Don't wash his toys or blankets so they have the same smell, which would be a comfort. A few extra treats would be nice so he can associate the new place with good things happening. I'm sure Buster will be fine in his new space. Have a great Senior year!

I'll be doing the same thing a few weeks. College is also only an hour away from me too, which is nice. I'm very nervous about all of it!

School started for me yesterday. You guys are lucky yours does not start for a little while longer. I am in my sophomore year of college.

I'm in my 3rd week of classes now. I moved Timmy out about a week before my orientation. He's in a different, smaller cage in my room but gets a lot more time out to free roam (basically he's out whenever I'm home and awake).
He seemed to make the transition well. 2.5 weeks after we moved he went into stasis, but I don't think it was caused by the move because he was eating fine and exploring plenty for a while before then.

I forgot how much earlier you guys start in some of the States! My cousin was in Colorado for a bit and started a month before me, I always felt bad for her. :)

I'm going to avoid stasis as much as possible, now that you said that. :p Buster seems to be fine in his x-pen transition, so I know he's going to be just fine in the new room. I took out his carpets to put in his x-pen, so they'll still smell like him when I put them back in his cage. Should be good, I hope! :)

He will get plenty of treats. I bought him one of those wicker barbells to give him for the first 48 hours. Should keep him busy and happy!

That's an easy move. I moved from NS to Ontario by car a few months ago with 2 cats, 2 rats and Peppy. THAT was a hard move. The rabbit behaved the best for the drive. We gave him his stuffed sheep, stopped for water & apple breaks every few hours and we made it. He was sketchy for the first week maybe, but that could have A) been because our stuff was everywhere and we didn't have a super good room set up or B) because he wasn't sure if he was going to have to get back into the car for more days. Luckily it only took us two to get here. :)

Wow! That's insane... that definitely makes me feel better, haha. Even taking him to the vet 15 minutes away I was worried with him being in a crate! :p
Very impressed with your animals. :) And you - that drive would be soo long.

Latest posts

Back