moving suggestions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap08m

Reaction score
My fiance just recently got orders to Japan. Before we both leave I'm going to move in with my parents for about 8 months. BUT, they live across the country. Its a 30 hour drive. So, we're looking at 3 days of travel. Has anyone else been through something similar. How can I make this easier on them? Also when it comes time to go to Japan we will try and bring them with us, if its allowed. Is there a way to sedate them for the plane flight? I don't want them to be super stressed out.

For the cross country drive, I would use a bigger carrier or a small cage. This will give home some room to move around, but still keep him safe. Being a pen along so you can let him out at night and when you stop (only if it is safe). Bring enough pellets and hay to last the trip and at least a few days until you can find some there. It is also good to take water from home. Veggies are good to take too, but it would be good to buy fresh when you can.

As far as taking him to Japan, that can be tricky. You would need to find out what the regulations are and if there is a quarantine period. I would not sedate him, he needs to be able to eat and drink during the flight and be able to move around and brace himself if needed. Sedatives can work differently at higher altitudes and with different pressures. It is really not recommended to sedate pets for travel.

If they are bonded, then they should stay together. Get a carrier with lots of room for both of them, especially to lay down and move around. If they would have to be in the cargo area, then you should be able to get a nice big carrier like a large cat one or a small/medium dog one (like for 30 pound dogs).

There is a two day quarantine once they get to Japan. But if they would have plenty of pellets and water for the time being. Idk about hay though as its loose. I was thinking about possibly this crate for the car ride
http://www.petco.com/product/106283/Nylabone-Cozytime-Pet-Home-And-Carrier.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

The navy base we're going to we'll be put into a highrise apartments where you can supposedly have two cats. Considering that Reddit and Demetri are litter trained I don't see how it would be any different but we've already asked if it is acceptable and are just waiting on a hopefully positive answer

That carrier is crazy expensive and not that big for the amount of time they would spend in it (assuming they are both in the same carrier).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H72HD4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
This one is bigger and less expensive. You can zip tie the snaps so it is more secure o a flight. The large size would be better for a pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what I might actually do is maybe make a nic carrier. Something like a 1x2x1 with choroplast floor. I have extra carpet from their current cage which could keep them in something like home. That way they'd have a little bit more room then some of these kennels I'm looking at.
plus possibly this one for the plane so I could keep them with me. Bring a bag of litter on the plane so I could toss the bad litter in the airplane garbage so it doesn't smell so bad maybe.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YHXT0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 1x2x1 carrier that I made for my bunnies. I used a 24''x36'' coroplast sheet for the flooring that fit very nicely and took the strap off of a duffel bag and attached it to the ends of the carrier so I could carry it over my shoulder.

Imbrium wrote:
I've got a 1x2x1 carrier that I made for my bunnies.  I used a 24''x36'' coroplast sheet for the flooring that fit very nicely and took the strap off of a duffel bag and attached it to the ends of the carrier so I could carry it over my shoulder.

And I have one of those little corner litter boxes that wouldn't take up too much space but will keep it from getting super messy

Unfortunately you can't use any of the carries in the links above to ship animals. They have to have hard plastic sides, with wire front doors, and the top and bottom have to bolt together.
You have to have a food bowl/water bottle attached to the front door and they have to have health certificates to travel.

Here is a carrier that could be used, it says that most petmate carriers are internationally approved, but this one may not be. But something similar is what you want to look for.
http://www.petco.com/product/117374/Petmate-2-Door-Top-Load-Kennel.aspx

The link in the 6th post, I think its for under seat in the cabin travel, not for in the cargo travel. The top and bottom don't have bolts but plastic clasps. And I don't know if the buns can ride together. I may be wrong about this, but I kind of remember someone saying only one animal per carrier, don't quote me on that though.

Latest posts

Back