Moving my babies outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayuri

Reaction score
With our own people baby on the way we dont have the room for my bunny babies to live in the house :(so reluctantly I have aggreed that they can make the move outside.

We have purchased them a lovely 6ft x 2ft hutch with a 6ft x 4ft run and it is up and waiting in the garden.

The british weather is never the best and yesterday it was sunny but pretty windy so I moved them outside during the day, left them to settle but by the evening they were still not very happy rabbits. Boo had puffed herself up in a corner looking very unimpressed and neither of them had tried going down their ramp and into their run. Although they were nibbling on a little hay the food bowlwas still pretty full andonly Woo had used the litter tray. In the end I decided that as the weather wasnt going to be very nice today - and it has since thrown it down with rain - soI would bring them both back in for the night. They were very happy to come back inside and scoffed all their dinner in one go.

They have both been house bunnies since they came home as babies but when we took them outside to have a run about last summer they didnt seem at all bothered by it and they were running around exploring like crazy so I have to be honest that I am a little surprised by their reaction.

Can anyone offer any advice on how best to introduce them and move them into the outside world so that they can be happy out there?

Im not taking them out today as it has gone a bit colder again and I think this will only make the transition worse for them.

I'd just to it slowly. I have outdoor bunnies and they are very happy.

I know it POURED with rain last night. It kept waking me up!

One thing i'd recommend is getting some sort of cover. In the winter i use a thin muslin blanket over the top level to keep it a little warmer. I have a cover on the hutch (it's from Pets at Home and its designed to fit my hutch) which has a breathable fly screen, so that goes down at night in the summer for a bit of security and protct from the elements but still provides some ventilation.

Also, i'd introduce them slowly, on days when the weather is mild. You don't want to put them outside in the cold if they are used to being inside, but then again you don't want to put them out in the heat when they are used to a regular temp inside. So when you put them out really depends on the current weather situation (which as you know, in England can be either here or there!)

Also remember that they they much thicker fur being outdoor bunnies. With William in the winter i could never keep him indoors in the evenings where it was warm. I had to leave him in the kitchen where it was alot colder because a) he got too hot and b) i didn't want it to be a shock when i put him out at night.

So i'd say just judge whether or not they can go out slowly, bring them indoors for a hop if the weather is crap. I used to put William out in the run in the day even in late November because he had a good amount of fur and seemed perfectly content.

You can get these things called 'snugglesafe' which warm in the microwave and are good for pets (i can give you a link to a site that sells them). And you can also get the opposite... cool versions. (Same website).

An outdoor bunny is not necessarily an unhappy bunny!

Aww sorry you have to move them outside. :(

This is the best time of year to move them out really, they'll hopefully get their Winter coats in time for the cold weather. If they aren't used to it it will take a while, give them time, soon they will get used to it and hopefully not be bothered.

Good luck! :)

Well the weather has been appaling all weekend and my other half is desperate to get the bunnies outside because he hates them being in the house. He is going to go and buy a weather sheild thing tonight for themand Im going to check the weather to see what it will be like in the next few days so hopefully they can have some outdoor time again

Back