Moving Indoors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchbrothers

Reaction score
Sadly one of the Dutch Brothers was killed by a bob cat yesterday :)( *yes, I know, I know, can't change it now) and I have the lonely bro inside in a cage temporarily. I have had it with the outdoors for them.
So now I have to figure out how to keep him comfy inside. I was thinking making something from a dog X pen but how do you guys deal with the litter (box), bedding,urine proof the floor of the pen, protect the living room floor from flying bedding etc.
Please let me know soon. I have to set this up so I can get him a new friend from a rescue and use the new set up as an intro area.
Thanks.

There are some different flooring options. Chloroplast can be good and can fit any size. It does take some work to cut it and get it right, but it's not too bad. It is a pain to re do, so if you are not sure how you want the area set up, then I would hold off on cutting coroplast until you do. You could still have a sheet under the pen and just not have the edges folded up.
You can put a tarp under the pen, it will keep any urine and other liquid from getting to your floor. Then cover it with some towels or fleece for comfort. You could use washable rugs or something else as well. Just be careful with fringes and edges that could be chewed by a rabbit.
It can take some time to litter train a rabbit. It is easier if the floor is easy to clean and you don't use tons of bedding or litter around the cage. Coroplast will work well.

When Nancy would take one to school, we set up a pen. Put down a plastic tarp first and rolled out a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on top of the tarp. Used a shop vac for cleanup.

Indoor/outdoor carpet works well, if it has a low nap. If the rabbit is a super chewer, you might instead use a piece of linoleum as a rug, one that's got a bit of a rough surface so the rabbit doesn't have to ice skate.

i had the same indoors problem and i created a solution but it is a bit more expensive. after i decided the layout of the cage i went out and bought a large piece of flat wood, then i went to home depot and bought a bunch of tiles to lay down. you can get the sticky kinds where you just have to peel off the back and stick. the good thing about doing this is that it is protectivefrom pee and poop and you can attach wheels to the wood to make the cage easier to move. it also tends to look better in living rooms and bunnies like to stretch out on cool tiles. you can also put fleece or towels in some places. good luck

Good ideas!
One more question: If he gets human attention can he be OK by himself? He has always lived so happily with his brother. I wasn't planning on having bunnies (they stayed here after kids went to college) so I am hesitant to get him a friend and have to add another one when the one dies).
it is hard to have bunnies here; wildlife, predatory dogs and summer heat.
It is impossible so far to find a home where he will have good life with other bunnies instead of sitting in some bare cage in a shed. I won't let that happen to him.
I am in Oregon so if someone is interested in him, let me know.
He is 3 years old, neutered and non aggressive, never bites, calm and sweet but lonely I think.

I would wait a little while to see how well he adjusts to being alone. Then if you're sure you want to rehome him, put a message in the rescue me section, or whatever it's called.

Latest posts

Back