Moving cross country from a house to apartment - need bunny advice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting to freak out a little bit. My husband and I are discussing a job offer in California. I'm very excited for him, yet very scared for my 3 bunnies (and 2 guinea pigs).

Currently we are living in a large house, and the bunnies have the run of the place. Because we'd be moving to Silicon Valley, we wouldn't be able to go from a cost of living in the midwest to a cost of living there - so its apartments. *oh man*

I need experiences on apartment shopping - do you ask them if they would allow for 3 bunnies, or do you not mention anything and sneak them in? How receptive are the apartment managers? Has anyone moved their bunnies across the country?

I will say no to moving, if I had to leave my bunnies behind... I would never leave them behind.

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it,
Basil

It's always best to find out what the policy is on pets...... the way that I would do that is ask "What is your pet policy?" and if they ask you, just say - well, I have a couple of small pets.... you know, guinea pigs...... " and leave it at that - for your options......

Depending upon how they are at home - they might do well being free in a new place but I would bet they will mark territory.

I've posted lots of information in this thread that should help.

I've lived in Southern California for over 14 years now, and am fairly familiar with the policies of apartment living, since I think I've lived in ONE house for about SIX MONTHS the whole time I've lived here.

Right now we've got four (and this will go up to five) buns in our apartment, along with two cats. So, there's definitely potential. You just have to be prepared for less space, and they'll take some time to get used to it as well.

Be sure to read what I wrote in the above thread, as there are lots of landlords that like to try to take advantage of apartment tenants. Also, I would recommend not mentioning the buns...or maybe saying you have A bunny, or something along those lines. That way, if they happen to see you on moving day, and you have a bun with you...okay...they knew beforehand.

Let me know if you'd like any help with your apartment search, ok?

Also, I would recommend paying a service like Westside Rentals to help you find a place...:)

And be REALLY diligent in your checking out apartments, too. Open drawers, shower doors, cabinets, etc. REALLY take a good look around the place. If you see any roach-type bugs, even dead, don't take the place. Not worth the chance. Just be sure things work...even try the water, see how the tub drains, try the toilet (bring along toilet paper in case there isn't any in the bathroom). Don't worry about offending the person...it's your right to check lights and all that stuff. :)

Again, let me know if you need help. Don't worry...I won't lie...there are lots of shysters here in Southern California...BUT I can help you find the good guys. :D

Thank you Bo and Maher,

I guess I'm a little too open sometimes when it comes to revealing information, so your tips on keeping it to one bunny .. or 'small animals' not quantify it is great advice for me!

Maher - I would have never thought to check if the toilet works.. you have a very good point!

Any tips on what you do with carpeting? I'm afraid like Bo said, that they will mark their territory or perhaps chew up the carpeting... these would both be bad situations!

About the carpeting, you can get a big ol' room-sized rug (or two, depending on how large the area) to cover the real carpeting, and maybe even put something underneath to protect the carpet under it. Heck if you put the rugs in a way that the buns can't get them up at all, you could even put some sort of painter's plastic, or some such, underneath! :)

Edited to add: we currently have hardwood floors, and are looking for a house to rent that has the same, so we don't have to mess with the randomness that carpet throws into the mix with animals. So...that's another idea! :)

Almost all apartments i've seen (at least where I live) have carpeting.. so I didn't know how easily hardwood/non carpet floors could be found.

Also, thanks for the link to the other post - I am sorry I missed in on my search. I love this forum, always so many good ideas and information.

Yeah, it can be tricking finding hardwood floors...so I know what you mean. I'm actually not sure how we wound up with a place with hardwood floors. Stroke of luck, I'm guessing. Silly, really, when carpets are so much more expensive! Epsecially when you consider that most places that have hardwood floors, it's actually faux wood.

And I couldn't agree more about the forum...I came here almost two years ago, and just never left!

:biggrin2:

Basil wrote:
Almost all apartments i've seen (at least where I live) have carpeting.. so I didn't know how easily hardwood/non carpet floors could be found.

Also, thanks for the link to the other post - I am sorry I missed in on my search. I love this forum, always so many good ideas and information.

I'll be able to provide a ton of more information in this topic next week.

I just graduated from college in May. So I'll be moving from my house into an apartment this weekend. I'm taking Zeke with me, of course. I was upfront with the landlord about the rabbit. There was a page-long addendum to the lease regarding pet ownership. I need to pay $10/month (non-refundable) in case he does any damage. I also have to take any pet trash directly out to the dumpster instead of putting it in the trash room. Etc., etc., etc.

Something you COULD do is not tell the landlord about it. "Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission," or however that saying goes. Or, call anonymously and ask about their pet policy. Likely, they'll say something along the lines of no dogs, and a pet deposit and monthly fee are required for a cat. Nothing will be said specifically about rabbits, I can almost guarantee you. If ever you're caught, you could explain that you thought that the policy only pertained to dogs and cats. At the point an addendum would likely be drawn up for the lease in which you may have to put down a deposit and pay a monthly fee. I would at the very least call anonymously and get a general idea of the pet policy. If it turns out that there are NO pet permitted of any kind, and you play dumb and then get caught, you could be evicted, or told to get rid of the pet(s).

In my off-campus apartment that I had during college, the pet policy was that you could have cats (and other small animals), but had to put down a refundable pet security deposit. I can't remember if you had to pay an additional monthly fee. Anyway, I snuck Zeke into the apartment. One day, the landlord knocked on the door so she could show the apartment to prospective tenants. I didn't have time to hide Zeke before she came in. She saw the cage and said that I couldn't have a pet. I quickly explained that I was just pet sitting for someone for the weekend. Shortly after that, I brought Zeke home. College was only about half an hour from my house, and my parents were willing to let Zeke have an entire bedroom to himself (our guest room) and my mom took care of him during the week while I was gone (I went home every weekend). It was a nice situation.

The apartmentI have hashardwood floors. I bought a 5'x7' rug at Staples for $18! They have a section with rugs for dorm rooms. Being that school is back in session, they had a few left that were deeply discounted. I'm going to build a run around the carpeted area with NIC cubes from Target. He has so many toys for that area that it's insane. I bought him a huge willow tent with a ton of chew toys attached. He also has giant cardboard box habitats, a stuffed animal, etc. I maxed out my credit card at Bunny Bytes. Hehehe. I bought wire tubing to put around every single cord in the living room area. I plan on letting him have free run when I'm in the apartment and can keep an eye on him. I'll be in the apartment most of the day since I work from home. I'll take photos for you and let you know how the apartment transition goes.

Erin

Actually, here in California, it's illegal for them to charge you for that...it's called Pet Rent...the additional amount per month.

Also check the California Code link I put in the thread I put a link above to...because I believe it's also illegal for them to evict you for that...or at the very least, they are required to give you a month or so to find a new place. I DO know that it's illegal for them to lock you out. It's called a "lock out"...and it's specifically illegal.

So, there ya go. Check out the codes (like I said, link listed in the above-given thread). It's always good to know your rights...landlords certainly do!!

And the good thing is...tenants have MANY more rights here in CA than the landlords do...just takes knowing them. :)

sparklyyy wrote:
At the point an addendum would likely be drawn up for the lease in which you may have to put down a deposit and pay a monthly fee.

Whoa. No way. It's illegal to be charged pet rent in California? I live in Pennsylvania (specifically, the Main Line suburbs outside of Philadelphia). I certainly wish it were illegal here! The landlord did waive the pet security deposit for me, though.

Erin

Latest posts

Back