mouth/lip inflammation??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagadvocate

Reaction score
I am worried about Charlie's mouth. I noticed today when he had his chin up that his lips are somewhat red. At first it looked like there was no fur there and that it was totally inflamed. But upon closer inspection, I found the inflammation to be less but did notice some tiny bloody scabs on his upper "lip".

I've noticed lately that he's had a little amount of clear runny nose and wondered if maybe the "snotty nose" was causing the irritation. And if he maybe was scratching his mouth and thus the bloody scabs.:huh

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts because it looks like I won't be able to go to my normal vet and may have to see one that is not as "rabbit savvy".

Maybe the lip problem is stemming from the runny nose which of course could be caused by so many things (teeth, respiratory, etc...) I'm just so worried and upset because I can't get him to my normal vet and hate to be going to a new one with a sick bun.:(

146.jpg

This pic is terrible quality, had to take it with my webcam since my dumb camera is broken again.

I can kind of see what you mean from the pic..it does appear to be swollen or something.

Ive never seen runny nose cause an inflamed lip..I wonder if it could be visa versa. Like something going on in his mouth is causing the runny nose (like when my Max had a lower jaw abscess his nose constantly ran).

I really have no idea what it could be. He hasnt been fighting with anyone has he?

Gosh, I'm sorry. The only thing I can think of is the scabs are from the runny nose, therefore starting matting on the front paws and he's biting at it, but, that is not what could be the cause.

Could be a bacterial upper respitory infection, is the discharge from the nosecolored in anyway? Clear, orwhite or off colored?

I can't tell anything from the pic, just fyi, sorry.

Edit: Haley might be on to something here, I haven't had any buns with toothing issues, so she would know about that like no ones business;).

Edit again for description of illness possiblity.

Haley wrote:
Ive never seen runny nose cause an inflamed lip..I wonder if it could be visa versa. Like something going on in his mouth is causing the runny nose (like when my Max had a lower jaw abscess his nose constantly ran).
Good thought, I didn't think about that it could be the reverse happening. Thank you.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:

Could be a bacterial upper respitory infection, is the discharge from the nosecolored in anyway? Clear, orwhite or off colored?

I can't tell anything from the pic, just fyi, sorry
The discharge is clear so I just don't know :(. And yes the pic is just awful, why is it that electronic stuff always breaks when I need it the most!:grumpy:

Just in case, check his boy bits for irritation, some bunny ailments affect both ends. :( (Is he neutered?)

It really could be anything I think. Maybe the lip irritation is causing the discharge, or vice-versa.

No hay stuck in his lips or gums? Celery string?

If it's a bug (bacterial infection), the only good way to determine the best treatment is a Culture and Sensitivity test using a nasal swab. Any vet can do that.

Hope he's okay.

sas :clover:

e.t.a. -- Sas, thanks for the advice, I just checked his mouth for any thing that might be stuck, but from what I can see (which isn't much:() I think all is clear. He is neutered and everything seems to be ok there.Darn it I wish I could just fix this for him :cry2

I've never really had to "coach" a new "not so rabbit savvy" vet before. What allshould I make sure that he looksinto when I take Charlie in? I want to make a checklist if I can, but I don't want to offend him or anything.

Ihate this so much. I really just wish I could take him to my normalvet. But I know that some owners have had to kind of"lead" a vet a little by bringing in rabbit info...but it's a fine line to walk I guess:(

Could be hay allergies, have you changed hays lately, change in cut (time of year)?

I say do process of elimination. Start with the hay, but only if you think this could be a contibutor, then the vet and get a swab done to determine what kind of bacteria it is ( if that's what shows up), the vet will prescribe what isrecommeded.Go from there;).

Good Luck!

Askus anyquestions if you aren't sure what to do, ok? It can be confusing and scary.;)

As a precaution, have the med name/dosage/x per day handy. Might help here on the forum for you later or even, another member;).

AngelnSnuffy, yes! I did change his hay just about 5 days ago. I had only ever given him APD timmy since I got him but ran out before i remembered to re-order so I had to buy some Kaytee from the store. He doesn't seem to like it as much. Actually, Carmel hasn't been liking it very much either. Oh no, I hope that I didn't cause this. Should I take the hay right away? I don't have any other hay here right now, but could go and try to find another brand tommorrow.

lagadvocate wrote:
AngelnSnuffy, yes! I did change his hay just about 5 days ago. I had only ever given him APD timmy since I got him but ran out before i remembered to re-order so I had to buy some Kaytee from the store. He doesn't seem to like it as much. Actually, Carmel hasn't been liking it very much either. Oh no, I hope that I didn't cause this. Should I take the hay right away? I don't have any other hay here right now, but could go and try to find another brand tommorrow.

Wow! Definitely go get something else if you can, remove what you have for now and see if that helps;). It won't hurt that much to be without hay that is bothering him and not eating any for just a few hours.

Let us know how you get on with him. Oh my, I hope that's all it is:).

Ok, I'm on it. I'll get rid of the Kaytee tonight and go getdifferent hay first thing tomorrow. Will post with an update about that and hopefully his vet visit.

THANK YOU all so much!

Greatcall, great advice from AngelnSnuffy!:goodjob

If the Kaytee is dustier, that just might be it. (Dusty pellets at the bottom of the bag can be a problem for a few buns too).

You can take it right away,shakethe dust out or you can actually rinse it under the tap. :) (They maylike it better wet, anyway). No mould issues unless it's allowed to sit in the cage for days.

Here's hopingthe hay'sthe ticket!

sas:clover:

lagadvocate wrote:

Bo and Clover refuse Kaytee hay and I threw it out! I found ROCKS in the bags!

I can see it making a rabbit sick. I am so picky about hay because of the bad stuff they've had before! :embarrassed:

I use Kaytee hay too as at the petstore I get my stuff from, it looks nice and green, way better than the Oxbow:shock:. You could try looking for Oxbow hay and see how it looks. Otherwise, see if you could get some from a farmer or even try your state department of agriculture;).

Well, I went to a feed store that I found out about today and found some really good looking oxbow hay. It's not APD which is what he was used to but still. Anyway, when I gave him the hay he plunged into it and after he gorged himself he binkied right into his litter box.:)

So far the inflammation/scabbiness hasn't gotten any worse at all -- I think it may look a little better but that could just be wishful thinking.:?

And I do have a vet appt. set for Friday so hopefully this can all be locked up for the good then (fingers crossed)

Thanks again for your help, and for your concern -- it means so much to me!

COOL! I looked up their site and they seem to have some really good stuff. I think I might order some "mountain grass" for the bunnies - is it good like timothy?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
COOL! I looked up their site and they seem to have some really good stuff. I think I might order some "mountain grass" for the bunnies - is it good like timothy?
I've only fed their 2nd cut timmy - it's alway so nice and green and leafy. Sparky and Scooter didn't care for the 1st cut. I feed their timmy pellets and compressed hay cubes also.

Latest posts

Back