Mouse has a eye problem.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showrabbits

Reaction score
Hello all,

My light grey flemish giant mouse has a eye infection of some sort. Iusauly would take her to the vet but I cant and havent been able tobecause of a bad ice storm. It is realy bad and has been bad sinceearly last night. My dad has a snow removal bussiness but nothing canbe done about the ice. It has been drizzaling non stop so salt and sandwont keep up and the only rabbit vet we have in the area cant get tohis office as well so I am realy in a bind.

Mouse has had eye problems before and has always cleared up butsometimes I have taken her in. The last time I took her in was lastjuly she was pregnant and I had to take her to a exotict vet since myvet that knows about rabbits was away. The exotic vet who charges aload of money since they know about exotics such as rabbits gave me aantibiotic for her wich caused her to abort her litter so I refuse togo there. The situation was that I sent her with my dad with a writtenletter stating that she had been breed 29 days ago and due to have alitter yada yada yada. The vet palpated her and said she was notpregnant and failed to inform us that the medicine wich cost 187dallors on top of the 200 dallor exam would cause her to abort if shewas. Well she was and she did. So yeah not going there againeven though mouse is not breed.

Two days ago her eye looked like it was starting to act up. I moved herto the house from the barn to miminize and dust there might be athoughits not dusty in the barn and she had been in the house for a while anyway so she hadnt been around any dust. The next morning her eye wasrunning so I called the vet and washed it out with boric acid mixture.couldnt get to the vet that day because of weather so hoped to try thismorning since it wasnt soppose to rain any more. LOL. It did and todayher eye has puss in it. Alot of puss. Hopefully the snow storm wontcome but was hoping that we had something around the house that wouldhelp. We have people medicines and also. Our naibor has some things forhis livestock and I could rundown there and borrow something, but cantgo anywhere else than that. Anybody have any ideas? Darn Iowa weather!

I have used the straight penicillin in cat andrabbit eyes. I just drew it out of the vial with the needle,took the needle off, and dropped it in theeye. I know. Injectable medsaren't supposed to work this way, but this was a suggestion from a guywho had been breeding for a lot longer than I ever did. Ithink it burns a bit. Nobody ever really liked it realwell when I did it, but the eyes did get better.

I even used this on my Bassett Hounds ear...externally. Alsoinjected it. She had one heck of a swelled up ear, pusstarting in her eye on the ear side, and felt feverish. Thatwas about 9 months ago. You'd never know anything was wrongwith her now.

- Dolores

okay just got back from the naibor (well actualymy brother went for me Im a little under the weather my self, realy badchest cold) no penicillin but they gave him LA200 and said it may work.I have used it before but I think it works too slowly and if I can getto the vet tomorrow I dont want them not to be able to give hermedicine. Any ideas?

I used neosporin cream when I had a bun with eyeinfection. My pharmacists told me that the neosporin and terramyacinhas the same base so he didnt think it would hurt the bunny.(terramycin is used for bunny eye infections.)I just used acottonball and applied it directly to the eye.It cleared itupin about 3 days.

Just a suggestion. It'sbad when you have a sick baby and no alternatives!!

Lanna

I've never used LA200. Does yourneighbor use it on hogs? That would be injectable,right? I don't know what it is based on.

The only thing that I ever put in eyes was the straightpenicillin. Not the long acting. Altho, that mightwork, too. I just always keep some of the straight penicillinin my fridge. I've never used any people meds foreyes...always had the penicillin. Don't know what you've got,and I couldn't tell you anything from experience.

I agree. Darn Iowa weather!

- Dolores

Greetings showrabbits,

Give Mouse a kiss for me, please.

I'll say a prayer and will be thinking of you both.

I've already learned a lot from this thread.

-Carolyn

Can you get ahold of anyone by phone...yourvet? I wonder if you could use Triple AntibioticOintment????? All the question marks arebecause.....for humans.....it says not to use in the eyes or on largeareas of the body. (But then, injectable penicillinis only for injections, too.) If there is pus,there is infection. If you find outanything, either way, about using Triple Antibiotic Ointment, I wouldcertainly be interested in knowing, also. I just neverthought of it before. It containsBacitracin Zinc, Neomycin Sulfate, and Polymyxin.

- Dolores

I have often used the triple antibiotic ointmentin rabbits eyes. I have seen 2 references to its use inrabbit and cavy eyes in the ARBA Domestic Rabbits magazine.

Do keep in mind that any medication can cause a reaction, so I am notstating that it is completely safe -- just that I have used it.

I have also used the Penn G in the eyes without a problem, however, myfriend's rabbit did have a reaction to Penn G in the eyes (severeburning). The rabbit was a BEW, so this may have hadsomething to do with its reaction to the Penn G with the secondapplication (there was no reaction with the first application).

The 8th Edition of Rabbit Production states that ointments containing chloramphenicol are particularly effective.

LA200 is an injectable antibiotic -- if this is a chronic problem, long term antibiotic treatment may be necessary.

Because blindness or loss of the eye is a possibility with a bad eyeinfection, I would certainly take the rabbit to the vet andalsohave the vet check to see if the problem is due to ablocked tear duct.

Pam

Thanks for the info on the Triple Antibiotic,Pam! And you are someone else who has used the PennG in the eyes. Thru my years of sheeping, I had to use a lotof drugs that were not approved for sheep. Sheep,like rabbits, do not generate the money for research like hogs andcattle do...or dogs and cats.And the vets out here in a very rural part of the country tend to justtreat the mainstream critters.....claiming that they "just don't knowthat much" about this critter or thatcritter. Therefore, I do an awful lot ofmy own treating. I'm not bad-mouthing vets, but I just thinkthat in the basic parts, the most of our furkids are about the same,and I don't think it would hurt them to pay attention to those out ofthe mainstream. When my granddaughter was about 3to 4, and helping me a lot with the rabbits, she declared that she wasgoing to be a vet so that somebody would know what to do withrabbits. Then when I got Baby, skunkette, she doubled herdeclaration. She's 10 now, and she's still talking aboutbeing a vet. I hope that she does!

- Dolores

I don't know about rabbits but when we have hadcats with pussy eyes my mom always told me to wash it out withtea. Get a tea bag wet and squeeze a few drops into the eye afew times a day. Always worked for the cats.

jen

I got this from the HRS:

Eyes
Watery eyes or and eye discharge needs to be diagnosed by a vet. Inaddition to any medications or eye drops, the cheek needs to be keptdry and clean so the area will not become chafed nor the fur peel off.Clean tissues will absorb mild wetness. Ophthalmic saline solution(what people use with their contacts) carefully poured onto the cheekwill crystallize the tears so that they can be removed with a cleanflea comb. A touch of prescription anesthetic powder on a finger can beapplied to the area if there are painful lesions.

HOLY COW!

You guys will not believe this. I dont understand this but this morningher eyes were clear and great! I dont know how this happend but thewater at the edge of the eye is gone too and the hair has fluffed upnicely so it looks like a tiny tiny area was affected but looks like itcould be normal. Unless you knew her you wouldnt notice it. I pressedon the edges and no puss at all. I didnt trust that just because thereis no puss but everything looks normal! The only thing that I can thinkof is that I put AJ back in with her. AJ was very protective of her thesecond that she met up with her. I had to run when I picked Mouse up,boy she was grouchy and growling at me!. I think aj thought i wouldtake her away again! I dont know how it could of cleared up so fastbecause I thought for sure that she lost the hair around her eye atleast. And there was no doubt about it, it was pretty infected. Checkedher nose and that was clear too so I dont know if she got rid of theinfection or got something out of her tear duct but there was no signof it in the nose. She was happy and running around though like nothingwas wrong at all. I am still being carefull just in case AJ cleaned itup with grooming. I went to work for three hours before they sent ushome before the sixteen inches of snow came, any way I was planning topick up some eye wash that they had but totally forgot about it withthe hassle of getting things done and back home. I am using a boricacid solution tonight and I will pick up the eye wash tomorrow.Everything looks great though! Didnt even think to put AJ with her. Iwas worried about it spreading but Mouse was soo depressed and they hadbeen together up to that point so I gave in. So everything is good asof right now. Going to get her on antibiotics though at the first signsof something but figured since this is a problem that she had before itmay be back and dont want to get her use to antibiotics if she doesntreally need it. Thanks for everyones help in this tricky situation. Istill cant believe she is better just like that! So odd!

Back