Mother and 2 kitten/My current foster cat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sending you heaps of sympathy... it is the hardest thing about fostering little ones like these. I've had two litters fostered as you are doing, for shelters where anything under 600g (so, about 6 weeks), pregnant or ill in any way is automatically euthanized. I've had a couple litters like this, where we tried everything but had very high mortality rates despite all the meds given directly and secondarily through mum, warm pads, fluids, supplemental/tube feedings etc. I have a mum-cat here atm who was the same story and had to be forcefed along with her bubs. When they go down at that size, they go down hard and fast and it's maddeningly difficult to get them to come up well again. :( Best wishes for your mumma and Lucy! As hard as it is, it's worth it when you save one... my first baby, the sole survivor of his litter, is 9 years old now. Lovely feeling to see him so well spoilt all these years later!

undergunfire wrote:
I'm so sorry, Kat :(. I bet fostering kittens is so difficult. Is it the URI thats playing a part in the deaths?

No Lucy and OJ where really over it they are at that point you know when your sick take the antibiotics and you have that last bit of congestion in your nose.

Lucy and OJ where there. I had a necropsy done. OJ had a enlarged heart I am thinking so did angel. Tiny the URI did play a role he got enaphamia (sp). And it was going to be to hard on him with bottle feeding and everything.

Lucy had both of her eyes open this morning she is eating great. She even woke up and came to me for meds. She had a little taste of kitten food. I am putting mom on canned kitten food so Lucy system is kinda of used to it.

We have already started bene bac on Lucy. I am going to do everything in my power over the next 3 weeks to keep her going. My vet did say anything past 4 4 1/2 weeks is a good thing.

She is up for adoption any takers. As much as i want to keep Lucy I know I can't. But I am going to make sure she finds a great home.

Cabrissi wrote:
Sending you heaps of sympathy... it is the hardest thing about fostering little ones like these. I've had two litters fostered as you are doing, for shelters where anything under 600g (so, about 6 weeks), pregnant or ill in any way is automatically euthanized. I've had a couple litters like this, where we tried everything but had very high mortality rates despite all the meds given directly and secondarily through mum, warm pads, fluids, supplemental/tube feedings etc. I have a mum-cat here atm who was the same story and had to be forcefed along with her bubs. When they go down at that size, they go down hard and fast and it's maddeningly difficult to get them to come up well again. :( Best wishes for your mumma and Lucy! As hard as it is, it's worth it when you save one... my first baby, the sole survivor of his litter, is 9 years old now. Lovely feeling to see him so well spoilt all these years later!

The one good thing about my shelter is they do everything they can before Put Down. We have a vet that will spay cats up to 57 days pregnant. Yes the kitten could live by that point yes I know most think it is wrong. But to be honest we have 45 kittens between foster stray hold and up for adoption at this point. They have to be two pound before they can make it on the adoption floor.

In stray hold they run the risk of URI. In foster they normally make it. Then I know one foster has 5 mother and kitten sets. I was asked to take another but I can only do one at a time.

Although I am lined up to take 3 kittens at Lucys age in two weeks no mother they are weaning right now at five weeks I get them and will put them with Lucy.

Its policy that mother go back when the kittens are 6 weeks old. Kittens go back when they are 10 to 12 weeks old.

I am guessing everyone would like update pictures!!!

b466c40f.jpg

Mommy

2a7ded0c.jpg

Mommy

7a646d7c.jpg

12cd8b27.jpg

4b681f96.jpg

Put it on Qubo please Mom

711311e4.jpg

Hey I don't want to watch the news

b0d43fd6.jpg

Look women your lucky you feed me the good stuff or I would bite you.

Well my sister found a ginger kitten by her apartment in Mo. City. I have no details other then he is about as old as Lucy maybe a couple of days younger.

My sister does not know much as risk i am going to try to put the kitten with mom after a health check at 2.

She gave it some baby formula maybe not the best thing but something is in its stomach tell she can get it to Galveston.

He lapped up the whole bowl in a matter of seconds she said.

So i will post pictures their will be one on my facebook soon as I am going to forward the picture to my facebook that she sent me.

b850daf5.jpg

Yes that is baby formula. It was a quick fix until Shena could get him/her here. I get to see the twin maybe I will add some picture of them to. I have not updated in a while.

Well I guess everyone would like to see some pictures

edc10c36.jpg

19557f84.jpg

cbe90c81.jpg

0384994f.jpg

ba3128b7.jpg

Here is one of Lucy she is sleeping

25307232.jpg

Hubby playing with Kitty

196df006.jpg

I guess I should update? Maybe not?

Ok I will Lucy and ricky are doing great. Boss is a little on the ruff side. But he will play with them. They are using the litter box.

Here is a slide show

undergunfire wrote:
The kittens are getting soooo big :shock:!! Gosh, they sure are adorable :inlove:.

Thanks I will get more video over the next couple of days. Its weird to think Boss my big 14 pound lap cat was this small a year ago.

Back