Mosquitoes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anneliese

Reaction score
At the moment because it's summer, there isusually a group of 4 or 5 mosquitoes that hang around near my bunny'snose/mouth. Whenever I see them I always brush them away but theyalways come back. Is there any way I can get them to go away??

Thanks.

Can you put insect screens around hishutch/run? I'm assuming he's outside, right? Or youcould move him in the house. Biting insects can transmitmyxomatosis.:?

Yeah, he's outside on our deck/balcony... and we can't really put insect screens up.
Is there any spray or insect repellent or something we can spray around him? :?

Does he havehis ownhutch onyour balcony? If so, would it be possible to at least put some insectproof mesh on his hutch?

As we do not have the myxomatosis vaccine here in Australia, you needto be fairly careful about mosquitoes being around your bunny if helives outside. According to my local vet, at the clinicabout3 bunnies are put to sleep per week because of myxomatosis in thesummer period. I am not saying this to scare you, I just think that anypreventative measures you could possibly take (such as the mesh screenson his hutch) would be a real bonus for your bunny. :)

I'm wondering if wiping your rabbit's face witha mild solution of vanilla/water would help to repel the mosquitoes...?I've never tried it myself, but vanilla is supposed to be a fairly goodrepellent.

(Also wanted to add that mesh does sound like the best idea, if you canswing it. Apparently in Australia (from what I've read) the gov'treleases strains of Myxomatosis into the wild in order to attempt tokill off the wild rabbits; but it finds its way into pets via themosquitoes, which I guess is why the incidents in pets getting it is sohigh. Apparently it's also the reason why the gov't doesn't want toapprove vaccines for pet rabbits to prevent the disease,unfortunately.:()

Thanks for replying. :)

I'm thinking of trying the vanilla & water, is there any harm if bunny licks it?

It shouldn't be a problem if your bunny licks itoff, since it is sometimes recommended to add vanilla to their drinkingwater to reduce the odor of their urine.

I'm not surprised it didn't work, while vanillain water is great to keep the flies at bay, it only attractsmosquitoes. They like the sweetness of it apparently.

I really have no ideas on how to keep them away though, I've tried many things to no avail.

You might want to research flowers that repell mosquitoes. I just did a quick search and came accross this:

Catnip ranks high on the list of natural bug-busters andevidently with good reason. In the Iowa study, the researchers notedthat small doses of catnip oil were at least as effective at repellingmosquitoes as 10 times larger doses of DEET
Source:http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/90412_lovejoy10.shtml

Isn't catnip safe for rabbits?

I am not sure if this would be of much help, butwould one of those ultra violet lamps (if placed on your balcony)reduce the number of mosquitoes hanging around that area?

Oh yea! Garlic is one, I was recommended to feedit that way they are less appealing to mosquitoes but the trick isconvincing them they really should eat it...;)

Lol, yup I know that feeling MBB, my bunniesweren't keen on garlic at all!:bunny17::disgust:I just had tospray lavender around my bunnies hutch and protect them with rear guardjust in case.Anneliese you could tryspraying aroundthe area with fly repellents made for horses although you'd need tobecareful to make sure they are rabbit safe and not spray iton him directly.:?

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Lol, yup I know that feeling MBB, my bunnies weren't keen on garlic at all!
Garlic may be good for keeping mosquitoes away.. but it's just as good at keep rabbits away as well. ;)

Citronella is a tried and true mosquito repellent.

~Jim

PS: The mosquitos hang out by his nose because they are attracted to to the carbon dioxide he's exhaling.

Latest posts

Back