mosquitoes and rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CML54

Reaction score
Do mosquitoes bother rabbits? I purchased a newoutside rabbit hutch. My rabbit is outside after being in a inside cagefor a long time. She was 3 years old when I got her. I was told shelived in a cage in someones garage until I got her from the humanesoceity about 9 months ago. We just couldn't take the urine smell inthe room(in the house) where I had to keep her cage. (even though Icleaned regularly) The rabbit hutch is in our back yard andunfortunatly we have a bad mosquitoe population out there this year.Should I be worried?

i dont know about rabbits, but i know mostmammals can get heartworm from mosquitos. if it is true for rabbits tooyou might want to see if the vet has something you can give her/him toprevent it. also, i dont know if the west nile virus affects rabbits,but thats something you may want to be concerned about too.

as far as the urine smell, theres a few things to do about it that willhelp. i have been using these methods and it works like a charm.

put 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract in the rabbits water. thisencourages the rabbit to drink more water and it helps some with thestrong smelling urine.

clean the cage every other day. use white vinagar when you clean it. the vinagar will nuetralize the urine odor compleatly.

if its a drop bottom cage sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom pan. that also helps with the odor.

you can also use a light airfreshener in the same room.

all these methods are things ive learned from people on the boad andtheyve really helped me. i cant even smell my rabbit anymore! :)

Mosquitoes are a concern as they do transmitdisease to rabbits including the dreaded "Myxo". Can you putnetting over the cage at night? We have our rabbits in abuilding with a automatic bug sprayer -- perhaps you can mount one overthe cage area to spray at night.

Pam

Pam,

What brand of bug spray do you use? Do you have to be careful of the percentages in some of their ingredients?

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Pam,

What brand of bug spray do you use? Do you have to be careful of the percentages in some of their ingredients?

-Carolyn

Most of the sprayers use pyrethroid variants (the one I use is .975%Pyrethrin). The sprayers are are recommended for use in"Horse stalls, Dairy & Poultry Barns, Kennels, Farms, FoodProcessing Plants, Stores, Factories, Food Warehouses, Bottling Plants,Milk & Egg Handling Areas Of Dairies & Chicken Houses."

I only have the sprayer on when the ventilation fan isrunning. Some animals/humans are sensitive to pyrethroids andmay suffer a reaction from the sprayer. (I had a horse thatwas allergic to pyrethrins).

The sprayer works quite well in eliminating flies fromthebarn -- however, I would not feel comfortable using it inmy home even though the can I have states that it is for use in theabove mentioned areas as well as nursing homes and day care centers.

Pam

[align=center][/align]

Pam, I take Apollo out in the evening, so it'scooler for him. We were at the park last night and I had to fight tokeep the mosquitos off whenever he sat still for a little bit. Is thereanything I could use? Anything organic?

Here I thought that I had prepared for everything on our outings. Inever thought of mosquitos and how to prevent him fromgettingbit.

Tina

dajeti2 wrote:
Pam, I take Apollo out in the evening, so it's cooler forhim. We were at the park last night and I had to fight to keep themosquitos off whenever he sat still for a little bit. Is there anythingI could use? Anything organic?

There are some natural products that people swear by, such as vanillaextract (you can do an internet search to find other ideas) --honestly, we just don't go out once the mosquitos come out.

Pam

Latest posts

Back