More than 2 buns housed together?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AprilBird4

Reaction score
Obviously, lots of folks here have more than 2 buns!

Can you house 3 buns together successfully? (all spayed/neutered)

Can you house more and of an odd number (5? 7? (although I don't think I'd every have cage big enough for more than 5))

If they aren't 'housed' together, can they at least get out and 'play' together? Insted of rotating cages play times? (these two from this cage comes out to play, put them back, get the next 2 from the other cage out)

Now, I am not talking about throwing them all together at once. If there were 3 or more to be housed together, this would be after everyone is getting along/bonded.

Also, if we are just talking about everyone 'playing' together, but not housed together, again when everyone 'gets along'.

What I'm wondering is are these scenerios 'possible' or 'very rare'?

I don't even have my buns yet....been looking for two years.....Started with the plan to get two baby lionheads (hopefully making bonding easier) and I am now proud to say I am ADOPTING a bonded pair from my local HRS chapter. Don't even know who or if my 'pair' has even met yet, but that's where they will be coming from!

I just can't get them off my mind...keep thinking of more questions (been working with the folks at the HRS) and reading here and just kind of know me.... I probably won't stop at 2, but it would be awhile (I would imagine) before I have more than 2, but thought I'd ask....

I have a trio, and for my guys, it's the best set up imaginable. So, odd numbered buns can get along! My three spend most of their time smushed together, especially the girls. They are all so loveable towards each other, no one gets left out.

I have my two singletons out together to play, though they don't live together. I'm not sure how it would work with multiple bunnies, since mostly likely, there'll be a trouble maker in the mix who'll want to stir the pot! Especially if there is already a bonded pair (or more) and you have playtime with a non-bonded bunny, can cause problems within the group or pair.

Congrats to you for adopting, it's really such an amazing option! :) Have you considered looking into adopting a trio maybe? It may seem like a lot of work, but honestly, my trio is less work than my two singles. Plus, you won't have to have the head ache of trying to match up another bunny to your pair ;). I lucked out, since somehow, my three ended up where they belong - together!

Some bunnies like friends, some don't. I know many are happier in pairs, some like to be alone, and some people have large crews of bunnies living together. Most people house bunnies in pairs. I think there are a few trios around, and I know Cheryl (her forum name is cheryl) has her bunnies living in large groups--but I haven't seen her on here for a while.

i used to have rabbits in groups too i will put some pics up xxx
DSCF2482.jpg

i am possibly not best person to answer this but when i had my group bunnies it was nearly 10 years ago and i was quite naive about the whole thing and didnt know they had to be bonded.
I knew they had to meet on neutral territory and as we moved house lots i would just buy a new bunny each time they moved into a new room and it seemed to work although i wouldnt suggest this as a policy obviously lol
I had a spare room that had hutches and houses with guinea pigs in and the rabbits had free run of the whole room and i had up to about 8 at one point.
Even worse i only had the boys neutrered as back then vets seemed to think it was too risky to do females. They all loved each other. There did seem to sort of be a boss but it was accepted by all and there wasnt any fighting. They did have the whole room to run in though so i assume that helped them keep distance if any bun was in a mood lol....
Although with so many and the girls not spayed there was not really any litter training going on.... poop and pee everywhere lol xxx
Now i have just the two in the living room who are both spayed and bonded, but hope one day to add a flemish giant to them that might not be an easy feat ...

Latest posts

Back