More sewing things I've been up to..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW Fran.
Wow... you got some good talents there.
The closest i got to sewing clothes is... a wheat bag...

I love the first pic and the floral one, im not a floral fan but i love it. dead gorgoues.

That t-shirt conversion is brilliant! Do you think it's possible without a sewing machine? I don't have one... :( I have an old t-shirt just like that as well that would be perfect!

Definitely! In fact I said in the how-to its great for hand-sewing. There is one straight seam which you would need to sew nice and strong, I'd recommend you'd use a backstitch. Other than that the other two parts of attaching the straps will be dead easy by hand, just one stitch back and forth about 10 times till its secure. If you need any help feel free to ask and I'll help you out, hope my instructions are clear enough! It'd probably only take about 30 minutes max hand-stitching the entire thing.

Latest: vintage style swim dress for my holiday on Saturday! Made it from my own measurements but used a pattern piece for the top bodice although I ended up altering it to within an inch of its life so maybe I didn't really use a pattern after all! I may still not have the figure for swimwear but its far more flattering than the majority of swimwear on the high street at the moment...

vintage-swimwear.jpg

hartleybun wrote:
kherrmann3 wrote:
, but like I said, the last time I sat down to sew, I sewed my thumb to a pillow... :ph34r2
:rofl:sewed my finger to the quilt once when i was quilting......oh well blood comes out quite easily...
That wouldn't happen if you hand-quilted (like I do), LOL.

pinksalamander wrote:
Latest: vintage style swim dress for my holiday on Saturday! Made it from my own measurements but used a pattern piece for the top bodice although I ended up altering it to within an inch of its life so maybe I didn't really use a pattern after all! I may still not have the figure for swimwear but its far more flattering than the majority of swimwear on the high street at the moment...

vintage-swimwear.jpg
That picture looks like it could be a sexy club dress.

I love the t-shirt conversion, and the swim dress! It does flatter you, and I love the retro-styling.

I love to cook, but I'm awful at sewing! I'm so jealous, it's hard for me to find clothes that fit me well.

NICE CREATIONS!! I love your work! :)

I've had the goal of getting a sewing machine for years now. Sewing ability runs in the family, and judging by my cross-stitch work, I think I would be able to sew clothing pretty well. I've been stitching up holes and such for my family for years, so I bet I could sew an actual shirt, and such.

I would at least love to try...

Any recommendations on a good sewing machine? Anything you think it should have as a feature?

maherwoman wrote:
Any recommendations on a good sewing machine? Anything you think it should have as a feature?

some of the ladies in my patchwork group have these all singing all dancing computerized behemoths. im happily using my mother in laws 1951 hand cranked singer with original accessories:biggrin2: it also takes the feet and needles of my 20 year old electric singer. any embelishment and embroidery i do by hand.

hope this doesnt make me sound like a complete luddite:nerves1

Singer is of course always reputable. I have a little 60s singer somewhere! At the moment I've got a Baby Lock which is a nice little machine, my favourite would have to be my Mums Husqvarna Orchidea though, fantastic machine even if it is 20 years old. (I keep thinking how I can steal it off her when I go to uni...)

I'd say the best thing to do is go to a local retailer, a nice reputable one (not a big chain store where the staff know nothing) and ask to have a look. They will advise you on whats best. The essential features I would say are having several different stitches, zig zag, different stitch widths etc. An added plus would also have to be a button hole feature.....

NICE!! Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I knew if anyone would be able to tell me, it'd be people interested in this thread...and you, pinksalamander!! :D

And some more! This is currently in progress. Its going to have a band of the blue fabric round the bottom too:

DSC012952.jpg

DSC012972.jpg

NICE!! Very cute! :)

hartleybun wrote:
somebun else sews and watches Futurama at the same time too im glad to see:biggrin2:

I was waiting for someone to notice that :ph34r2 "Hello Earth, I'm just popping in to brighten your day, now I'll be on my way!"

I also ended up watching "Lion Man" the last few days whilst sewing because it appears the only programmes Sky has are Futurama, Lion Man or 'What Lies Beneath' (which I watched yesterday evening, and is now on AGAIN at exactly the same time?) If you get a chance to watch Lion Man, watch it for the theme tune. Its hilarious. Best/worse thing I've ever heard!

Edit: found Lion Man theme tune for anyone interested on what the hell I'm going on about. Its just the most awful song I've ever heard, so cheesy, but so catchy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7lg2hgqvzA&feature=related[/ame]

Latest posts

Back