More sewing things I've been up to..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinksalamander

Reaction score
Got some decent photos today of my last few 'creations' if anyone is interested...

anda.jpg

(This one is a fancy dress lion costume!)
lion.jpg

sailorstripe.jpg

sweetheart.jpg

NorthernAutumn wrote:
light blue one has a really nice cut; very flattering!

Thanks! I love the pattern, I've literally almost finished a second one in a different fabric, just gotta finish the armholes off and I'll be done. I may even make another one because they are really easy and very comfy.

they're all lovely but the floral one really caught my eye. im not a fan of florals personally but that really works! flattering and eye catching. well done:D

OMG I LOVE that black floral dress! And the first one too... You're great at sewing!

I really really wish I could make stuff like that.... I always have in my mind the sort of dress I want but can never find it in the shops.... No fair! :p

mouse_chalk wrote:
OMG I LOVE that black floral dress! And the first one too... You're great at sewing!

I really really wish I could make stuff like that.... I always have in my mind the sort of dress I want but can never find it in the shops.... No fair! :p

Do iiiiitttt! Try! You have lots of time on your hands so you'd be great because it takes ages :p You just need someone to push you in the right direction (friend/relative/granny who can sew!) and after that you'll be great. The purple dress was the first thing I ever tried from a pattern and it is truly awful, very messy. The lion dress was OK but I really mucked it up on the fastenings at the back but hey ho, its only fancy dress and you learn from your mistakes. The floral dress was the first thing I made PROPERLY from a pattern and I did it with a lot of help from my Mums friend (we used to spend afternoons sewing things together) and since doing that I feel I have learnt a lot. After I finished that I bought the pattern for the blue top and the flowery top and I knew enough about how to go about patterns to do it myself. I managed to get it OK on the first attempt (blue top) although there were a few things that confused me, but it came together. The floral top was much better because I knew what I was doing and its a lot better made. Now I'm picking up patterns and trying them out. You can always buy some cheap fabric and just have a go, what have you got to lose? If you'd like I'll even try a step-by-step of that top with better pictures than the instructions if you want to have a go. You managed to figure out how to make your signature so why can't you do this? :biggrin2:

:nod:yeahthat:couldnt agree more. sewing seems to be going thru something of a revival judging by the number of magasines in the shops.

btw love the second floral creation - very retro and flattering.

hartleybun wrote:
:nod:yeahthat: couldnt agree more. sewing seems to be going thru something of a revival judging by the number of magasines in the shops.

btw love the second floral creation - very retro and flattering.

Yeah, I've been sewing since I was little but I think its come round again with all the vintage fashion comeback and the 'individuality' of it. I started sewing again properly about 2 years ago because I started thinking I wanted to learn the skill so I could make clothes for my own children when I am older, just like my Mum did for me. So much cheaper and such a nice skill to pass on! I'm such a traditionalist though, I adore sewing, baking, cooking etc whereas most people my age couldn't think of anything worse!

pinksalamander wrote:
I adore sewing, baking, cooking etc whereas most people my age couldn't think of anything worse!
Ditto! Everyones like urgh and i'm like yay! I really really like the first one and the floral one, I think a tuts In need Fran :DI have so many projects on the go it's not funny a merino cardi, shorts and pjs from laaast summer, a dress the list is endless! Tomorrow I think I'll shall attack some of it haha. Whats round the bottom of the top blue one? Looks like velvety? Do you have an overlocker/serger? Please say yes then It will really make me need one so I can mimick your fantastic creations!

pinksalamander wrote:
I'm such a traditionalist though, I adore sewing, baking, cooking etc whereas most people my age couldn't think of anything worse!
:nod:bunnydance::yeahthat:there are more of us out there than we think:biggrin2: i still bake a fruitcake using the same recipe that my late grandmother learnt from her mother. it may not be politically correct but i believe in keeping the old skills going:D

You're so talented! I love the first one and last one the best (they are all fantastic, though)! Your patterns are all very flattering!

I am terrible at sewing. The last thing(s) I've made were pillows. One was for Toby, so I didn't work very hard on it, and the other one is just a wolf-pattern pillow I made for Home Ec. class in 7th grade! I actually sewed my thumb to that pillow by mistake! :shock:

I want to learn how to sew "scrub" tops for work. Then I would have awesome, "custom" scrubs! :p

kherrmann3 wrote:
I want to learn how to sew "scrub" tops for work. Then I would have awesome, "custom" scrubs! :p

http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_71&products_id=7047 ???

I won't be able to make anything for a few weeks now as I go on holiday next week for 10 days and won't be able to afford any fabrics I don't think! :(

PepnFluff wrote:
pinksalamander wrote:
I adore sewing, baking, cooking etc whereas most people my age couldn't think of anything worse!
Ditto! Everyones like urgh and i'm like yay! I really really like the first one and the floral one, I think a tuts In need Fran :D I have so many projects on the go it's not funny a merino cardi, shorts and pjs from laaast summer, a dress the list is endless! Tomorrow I think I'll shall attack some of it haha. Whats round the bottom of the top blue one? Looks like velvety? Do you have an overlocker/serger? Please say yes then It will really make me need one so I can mimick your fantastic creations!

Its a black polyester satin round the bottom of the dress, and I do have an overlocker but I didn't use it on any of these because its broken :tears2:

Those are awesome! :) I wish I could sew.. I love mini dresses, but most stores charge an outrageous price for them! (Not like there's a massive amount of fabric! ;)) If I could sew, I totally would make stuff like that!

I just bought a dress similar to the first one but with a different neckline and without the trim.. it put me back $40.. outrageous!

kherrmann3 wrote:
, but like I said, the last time I sat down to sew, I sewed my thumb to a pillow... :ph34r2
:rofl:sewed my finger to the quilt once when i was quilting......oh well blood comes out quite easily...

kherrmann3 wrote:
pinksalamander wrote:
kherrmann3 wrote:
http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_71&products_id=7047 ???
Yeah, those.  I want to try, but like I said, the last time I sat down to sew, I sewed my thumb to a pillow... :ph34r2

I once worked really hard on my cross-stitch (we used to have to sew long lines of the same stitch to get them right), it was a difficult stitch and I was really pleased, got up to show the teacher and realised I'd sewn it to my skirt.

hartleybun wrote:
kherrmann3 wrote:
, but like I said, the last time I sat down to sew, I sewed my thumb to a pillow... :ph34r2
:rofl: sewed my finger to the quilt once when i was quilting......oh well blood comes out quite easily...

My Mum was making her best friends wedding dress when she sewed her finger to it and got blood all over the neckline of the white satin. So the next day she suggested 'hey! Why don't we do some nice red rose embroidery all round the neckline?!' :ph34r2

pinksalamander wrote:
My Mum was making her best friends wedding dress when she sewed her finger to it and got blood all over the neckline of the white satin. So the next day she suggested 'hey! Why don't we do some nice red rose embroidery all round the neckline?!' :ph34r2
:rofl:nothing if not creative! it's amazing how we cover up our 'mistakes'...

Got bored. Decided to turn an old t-shirt into a new top! Took me about 20 minutes! I've written a how-to on Burdastyle if anyone is interested. Its dead simple, one straight seam and a few stitches!

blue-tshirt-recon.jpg

Back