More litterbox woes... (young girls)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spankypod

Reaction score
My 2 female bunnies are now 4 months old.

I've never gotten them perfect with the litterbox. While confined to their NIC cage, they go about 80% poo in the litterbox.. with the occasional pee accident, which I try to quickly wipe up with white vinegar the moment I see it.

The main problem is when they're out of the NIC cage. They only have free-roam of the room where their cage is located, but they're fond of pooping ALL around the OUTSIDE of the cage. Mostly left-side and front-side. They never pee outside of the cage, thank god, but they certainly poo ALL OVER. It's a total headache.

Should I limit their food before their play-time? Take it away while they're playing? They're fond of jumping into their NIC cage, eating some hay/pellets, and hopping back out 2 mins later for play. They repeat this throughout their hours of playtime. I don't mind them pooing IN the cage.. even if it isn't in the litterbox.. but outside the cage is a HUGE mess I need to vacuum up every single evening.

Any advice? Will spaying improve their litterbox habits? I hope to bunnygod it does! I haven't made an appointment yet, but I'm going to soon.

Despite the shoddy litter habits... oh how I love them! Adopting them was the best idea I ever had. They're characters!

Whoops.. one more question: I plan on buying a big X-pen to let them play (with supervision) in the backyard now that the weather is nicer. Should I put a litterbox in the X-pen.. even though it's outside? If it'll help seal litterbox habits, no problem.. but it's not necessary because it's outside.

Hi and welcome! Darn it, I had a post started and had to switch gears and lost it.

So, here we go again. First here is a post/thread from our Library here on RO!: Litter Training

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12084&forum_id=17

And, you wanted about spaying. Here you go:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10

To answer a couple questions, no, I don't think you should limit food before playtime. It wouldn't matter anyway, because they "mark" territory.:p Also, buns should neverhave a stopage of food intake. Hope this helps a bit! Ask us for answers to any questions you might have. Buns are so fun!:D We always have questions, that's for sure.:)

thanks for the reply!

okay, i'm not going to limit their food.

i'll try to read up some more on litter training... i really hope getting them spayed helps out.

Latest posts

Back