more litter problems with angie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panacrent

Reaction score
i bought her some 'corn cobs' to replace the kitty litter.

she immediatly tried to eat it!:shock:i dont know what to doanymore. she doesnt ever really poop in there anymore, and i think shestopped before i even changed litters. she poops wherever she isstanding when she feels like she needs to poop.

what can i do???

Young bunnies often have less control of spinctermuscle than older ones, hence poop more randomly. Bun alsospread poops when nervous, excited, scared, or markingterritory. Perhaps, she is still not quite at ease with you,or a combination of any of the above factors.

Most pet owners are pleased if we can get our buns to urinate in thelitter box. Any poops deposited there are "gifts" from therabbit gods. LOL Most of us end up having to pick up afterour furry little friends. Comes with owning house rabbits.

Buck

Baby bunnies seem to be poop machines. Big time.The only thing I can suggest is keeping her in the cage most of thetime, and strict supervised outside cage time. What we did to trainAbby was as soon as she poop, in the litter box she went.

I've never used the corn cob litter. My other bun Chompers DID NOT likeit. He literally threw his litter box around in his cage,afterhe kicked the litter all over the floor that is. Now weare using a recylced newspaper pellet, it works well with odors and thebuns like it well enough.

It does take time and patience to train a rabbit, especially a baby. Hang in there, it'll happen. :)

You could try the recycled newspaper.Itcomes in pellet form, looks very similar to the pellet food actually.It absorbs both urine and odor very well too. I gave up on the corn cobstuff a long time ago, after the reaction from Chompers.

We recently tried that pulpy paper stuff, but Abby kept on eating it.

BTW: Corn cob litter is bad. Try Critter Country plant fiber. ;)

What's that other safe stuff that people use? Carefresh or Yesterdays News or something like that?

Hi Penacrent,

I'd definitely switch litters. I've heard of people having this problemin the past. I'd also be sure she's eating a lot of fiber (timothy hay)to keep her system moving. If you still have that corn cob litter, I'dget rid of it and use regular newspaper until you can find somethingelse.

I presently use Woody Pet Animal Bedding which is different types ofwood turned into pellets. You can find a dealer near you if you queryhttp://www.woodypet.com I also used Yesterday's News with greatsuccess, but it's more expensive. Don't use cat litter in the litterboxas it can get stuck in between their paws and if ingested, they can getvery sick. Also don't pour in the cat litter into the pan so that yourrabbit can inhale the dust it puts out. It can damage your rabbit. Stayaway from cedar shavings completely.

-Carolyn

was yesterdays news the stuff abby was eating?

nevermind thats a silly question. i just thought about the name and it must be the recycled newspapers. im silly!!!:p:p:p:p:p

YIKES!!!...do not use corn litter idid and it sucks!!! Sorry.... i went back to using the carefresh!! Itdoes not hold the urine! I would change the litter box and ack it washorrible! Urine everywhere......... the care fresh absorbsits!

Latest posts

Back