more hair loss and ringworm worries

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffS

Reaction score
Riley and Pancake have been shedding for quite some time, like a month. I went to put them into their cage earlier and since Pancake was licking at her back end I figured I would, very much against her will, help her groom.

I found that her hair was coming out again. I mean if I kept plucking she'd have a bare rear end, which isn't good when it's 50 to 60 degrees F in her room. Where I can see her skin it's pink but splotchy and without dandruff. The small red spots might be from me plucking but ringworm supposedly does that.

I picked up Riley and while his fur isn't coming out easily in such big clumps, it seems unnaturally loose and clumpy. It's hard for me to tell though because as far as I know the only shedding I've ever seen a rabbit do is from ringworm.

I hate the idea of them having a ringworm infection again. I'm going to call their vet of course but it makes me so mad. The treatment takes forever, and since it's cold out it's a horrible time for them to be losing hair. I feel like there's nothing I can do to prevent it and it's going to keep coming back.

I have to remember to ask the vet if it's OK if I don't groom them. When they had ringworm before I tried to keep their coats free of loose hair so they didn't ingest it, but it was warm out then. Now it's cold and they need their fur. On the other hand, I don't want them eating too much fur. Pancake especially has tremendous amounts of thick fur that's just barely hanging on. And there's not new growth underneath.

Ringworm is somewhat unusual in rabbits. I would suspect it just hasn't been cleared out of the environment, or your rabbits have some underlying issues that have allowed their immune systems to be susceptible.

It does sound more like ringworm -- or some fungus infection -- than a molt, because they don't drop their hair without the new coat already in, so its very unusual to have skin showing. And they've had it before.

I think you're going to have to take a close look at their environment, any other pets who may be carriers, and even their nutrition.

I'd start with a thorough cleaning (with a bleach solution -- one part bleach to 10 parts water) of their housing, carpet cleaning with a good steamer, etc. Do the drapes, make sure any brushes, etc, are done as well.

I'm not sure if the spores show up with a florescent light or not, I know some do. (And sunlight will kill them as well, so any mats, etc, that can't be washed can be put outside).

It does go away on its own -- eventually -- but really should be treated and the environment de-spored (if that's a word).

I'm wondering if they may be missing a nutrient or something like that. I'll have to check the Blog, but what are they eating? What is their housing like? What other pets do you have?

There really is likely to be a reason for the infection, although it may just be the luck of the draw, you're in an infected area.

sas :clover:

If I overgroom Muffin while she's going into a shed, she gets stuff like you're mentioning--pink skin with red dots, no dandruff. I put some triple antibiotic ointment on it if it looks particularly angry and that clears it up.

Since I know your guys get a lot of outside time, maybe a preventative monthly Revolution treatment wouldn't be a bad idea, like you do with dogs and cats that go outside? It wouldn't prevent ringworm, I don't think.

It could also be intestinal parasites.

Any chance you could get us a pic? I know not to pluck Muffin's fur out because I can overdo it that way. I try to just groom her with a Zoom Groom (rubber brush).

tonyshuman, I just saw Dr. Wayne Beasley and he says it's also likely that the problem is me overgrooming and not ringworm. He's running a culture just in case.

In the future I will be using a brush only to get surface hair off and not do any of my compulsive plucking.

I feel so bad because pancake is soooo angry about the entire business of being groomed and going to the vet. She and riley are due for having their nails clipped too.

Latest posts

Back