More fur questions....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Well, Bo has been in some form of a molt for about 9 mos now! Yes, that's right!

I took him to the vet and they did scrapings and found nothing last fall. I chose not to use revolution - don't fix what ain't broken is my motto with them.

So, he's molted and had ok hair but I also help him to keep groomed. Yesterday I was petting his head and it's been a little molty but all of a sudden it was like a fur shower........ and sure enough there is all sorts of baby fur coming in.... it's really kinda cute actually......

His molt is unilateral (mostly even on both sides of his body) and I do know one side molts prior to the other by about a day..... so if one cheek is molty today - tomorrow the other will be. He's funny looking right now with these bushy things over his eyes and then fuzz around his head, ears and cheeks..... LOL!

He's also molting around his butt and hips. I took him out on the deck and basically stripped him over one hip today! Nice hair coming in under it. He LOVES me to groom his head especially!

Here's my questions/concerns:

1. This is like a junior molt. Is that normal now and then for mini-rex or others?

2. There is one spot on his butt that is a complete circle that is naked but hair around it. Not sure if it's ringworm but I put a bit of ivermectin on it the other day and it looks better. Watching for hair growth.

3. Saw a bit of flakes but only like 4 and I wonder if that could be from me aggressively brushing and irritating his skin?

4. Would he get new hair if he has mites?

5. He had a poopy butt this morning but I Think that could have been the fresh cilantro - he hadn't had any lately.

Thoughts on this stuff would help me! I think I might take him to the vet for a treatment of revolution just incase.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11992&forum_id=10

1) I suggest that you post the question re. mini-rex hair and the odd molting in the rabbitry section. The mini-rex breeders would have more knowledge of this than me.

:DI don't have one but Ido know they have special needs

2) If you chose not to use revolution did the vet offer it to you? Fur mites often do not show up up on skin scrapings . There are degrees of infestation and an animal doesn't necessarily lose their hair noris dandruffy particles necessarily mites.
If it was my rabbit I would treat with Revolution (per vet instruction) just in case it would help him.
Fur mites are way more sublte than other types of mites
The bald patch should be checked out..probably isn't ringworm but should be checked out anyway

Yeah, I'm thinking something is up.

I did note that his poos are better. I think the cilantro made him sick.

Well, Bo and Clover have always gobbled their cilantro but I'm hearing that they are looking at that for the outbreak of food poisoning now. It could be stress also from this heavy molt ...... who knows? but I am keeping a close eye on him. I took him out on the deck to get some of that fur off yesterday....... he doesn't go outside! and you should have seen his little eyes! they were huge! After a bit he started relaxing and looking around..... so cute! :)

Me too! and they are looking at everything in salsa I guess.

Bo is fine now, and his fur is all coming back in so I guess it was the molt and the cilantro.....

I hate it cause I'm afraid to feed them ANY greens right now. I need to plant some of my own.

Back